Removing 21mm bolt from pulley?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Dark_Rider2k3

Removing 21mm bolt from pulley?

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

I got the top pulley off fine but the bottom one (is that the pump pulley?) will not come off.. Do I "have" to use an impact on it (I don't have one right now), or is there a way I can use a 1/2-inch breaker bar to get it off? I have tried but it just moves the timing belt and s--- around ><.

Any advice to remove this? If I could get this off, I could get the timing belt off, and then take the head off.

Thanks a ton!!
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Removing 21mm bolt from pulley?

Post by mitmaks »

easiest would be to take it off with impact. You can try blocking engine somehow so it won't turn and then taking it off with breaker bar.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

looks like i might have to haul the engine over to the garage for a sec.. ><.. dang..

oh well, I can probably do it tomorrow.. borrow my dads truck...
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

There are a couple of bolts that I, and friends couldn't get off with an impact, so I did it with a breaker bar, and leg strength. For that particular bolt, I twisted a ½ breaker, and broke a socket, but got it off. In the right position, I can push about 500lbs. with each leg, though.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

fowljesse wrote:There are a couple of bolts that I, and friends couldn't get off with an impact, so I did it with a breaker bar, and leg strength. For that particular bolt, I twisted a ½ breaker, and broke a socket, but got it off. In the right position, I can push about 500lbs. with each leg, though.
My problem is how do you stop the pulley from moving? It moves (and moves the timing belt with it) and so I can't really "break" it.
progt91
antispam: No

Post by progt91 »

take it to a shop and have them heat the bolt and then zip it with the impact, it will come off. thats what i have to do sometimes on those cars that have stubborn crank bolts. works like a charm.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Put 2 of the clutch pressure plate bolts into the flywheel opposite each other, like one at 3o'clock and one at 6o'clock...without the pressure plate. Put one of the tranny bellhousing bolts into the engine block. Put a long, strong bar between the 2 pressure plate bolts and brace it on the tranny bolt so that the flywheel cannot turn. If it is on a stand the flywheel will be off. You can use 2 of the bolts that connect the flywheel to the crankshaft and brace the bar against the stand. Either way is fine.

Get a very long breaker bar. I use an old 1/2" drive torque wrench and a 6 foot pipe. It works best if the engine is on a stand and you also have the hoist supporting the weight. Use steady, even pressure. I weigh 225lbs and I'm no sissy...so that part is easy for me. It will break free with a loud bang and you will think something broke. But it was just the 15 year old factory thread locking compound.

This method has worked for me for many years and I have never damaged a flywheel or a bellhousing.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
mx-3_4evr

Post by mx-3_4evr »

^ I agree! I did it the same way to tight it back on. I weight 140lbs and I did it with no problems :D
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Be sure to pull with both hands toward your face....
and smile.

:lol: BANG! :crying:
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
muttpower
antispam: No

Post by muttpower »

Another way is to use a 1/2 inch breaker bar, and prop it against the ground so it won't turn. Then blip the ignition. Works everytime for me. Just make sure you mark the pulley position if your removing the crank pulley, etc. Now, if you end up bliping the ignition too long, and the engine cranks, and sends the breaker bar flying into someone/something, that's not my fault...just saying :freak:
1992 MX3 GS (My Project Toy)
K8DE, see web site...too many mods to list, but still growing.
2006 Dodge Durango (The Family-Mobile)
Every time you race a Honda Civic, a kitten kills a retard.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

His engine is nowhere near a car, or ignition system.

I'd go with the brace bar and breaker bar idea. Just make sure the bolts holding the brace are in far enough, you don't want to snap those...

Maybe your shop has the tool that fits into a tranny bolt hole and holds the flywheel?
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

The tool Ryan is referring to looks like this but you have to have the flywheel in place to use it.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

I still have the clutch on so... how do I remove that to get to the flywheel?
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Those cover bolts are only torqued to 16ft-lbs or something. They should come off without securing the crankshaft. When you are loosening one off, put your ratchet on the one at 3o'clock and orient the ratchet handle so that it is across the clutch cover. This way you will not be going with the rotation as much.

My Worklog
My feedback thread
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

ohhh gotcha!

going there to try it shortly :mrgreen:

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”