What CFM does a DE draw at 6,000rpm?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: What CFM does a DE draw at 6,000rpm?

Post by Mooneggs »

fowljesse wrote:I need to know for my top secret new forced induction device.
I think this device is gonna work... I was thinking about it alot yesterday for some reason :welder:
trick69

Post by trick69 »

does it realy need to be a secret? explain please.
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

As much as I want to know I think it's best Jesse does it first, proves it works on dyno or track then tells us! I fear it may be ludicrous, beyond out of the box which would be recieved with a somewhat mixed response! I hope it's not still the leafblower :lol:
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

marcdh wrote:As much as I want to know I think it's best Jesse does it first, proves it works on dyno or track then tells us!
I agree... it's best a trained professional does the testing first... we don't want any n00bs getting killed by accident :freak:
trick69

Post by trick69 »

ha ha :lol: jesse all the power to you good luck I hope the info I gave was enough, if you have any more questions about boosting ask. fyi you'll need some sort of centrifugal device i.e if your thinking leafblower put your hand on the end and see if it stalls, blows back, or blows your hand off.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I think he is finally putting in his 2 stroke motor lolol
trick69

Post by trick69 »

onlytrueromeo wrote:I think he is finally putting in his 2 stroke motor lolol
what his 2 stroke motor?
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

:lol:
I drink & post, too. On the other forum, they came up with 264cfm, so, yeah, thanks for the info.
I'm actually moving on from the "leaf blower" idea :D This idea is so wierd, I'm not going to divulge until it fails, or makes me million$ :lol:
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
trick69

Post by trick69 »

hey keep in mind those numbers are based on 100% V.E. but in order to produce boost you will need to hit that number and go beyound, but dude if you even get it to 100% V.E you will notice a change
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

My "Leafblower" idea was to run a Supercharger, or Turbo with a 2 stroke engine. It would work with alot of R&D, but my latest is more simple...
It will still require either alot of math, or tinkiering, the former, I chose not.
Thanks again trick69
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I still mull over the idea of a pressuized tank with a huge dump valve to let 300CFM out at a regulated PSI for x secconds.. like air nos :P which is represusized by a teeny little electric compressor.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
kiwimx3

Post by kiwimx3 »

trick69 wrote:alright you want to get technical I will need the cam specs on the intake valve sizes and the flow rates of the heads. But since none of us know this I can tell you without a doubt the best ball park figure is 260 cfm without a doubt. the math equation I gave has been used for years it designed for sizing carbs to engines I've used it for years. And since I'm a mechanic I would say It is accurate. If you want to argue more I suggest you google search how to find this formula. And if your so smart lets here your awnser.
First off Im going to clear the air My post was in reply to Fowljesse, as I had started it then walked away from the
laptop, I certainly did not read untill this afternoon all your posts trick, if you think the comment was aimmed in
your direction, it certainly was not, and a lot of the older members on this board will certainly back this up.

If any offence has been given by my inattenion to not using the quote button I do apologise.

For the record a DE head flows 230cfm. as tested on a superflow flow bench.

As for your other statements, more so the one bracketed above, my KLZE for the record flows @ 6000rpm
289 CFM VE 103% BSFC .492 HP 213 TQ 186 ( So I guess its not stock then is it? )
trick69

Post by trick69 »

kiwimx3 wrote:
trick69 wrote:alright you want to get technical I will need the cam specs on the intake valve sizes and the flow rates of the heads. But since none of us know this I can tell you without a doubt the best ball park figure is 260 cfm without a doubt. the math equation I gave has been used for years it designed for sizing carbs to engines I've used it for years. And since I'm a mechanic I would say It is accurate. If you want to argue more I suggest you google search how to find this formula. And if your so smart lets here your awnser.
First off Im going to clear the air My post was in reply to Fowljesse, as I had started it then walked away from the
laptop, I certainly did not read untill this afternoon all your posts trick, if you think the comment was aimmed in
your direction, it certainly was not, and a lot of the older members on this board will certainly back this up.

If any offence has been given by my inattenion to not using the quote button I do apologise.

For the record a DE head flows 230cfm. as tested on a superflow flow bench.

As for your other statements, more so the one bracketed above, my KLZE for the record flows @ 6000rpm
289 CFM VE 103% BSFC .492 HP 213 TQ 186 ( So I guess its not stock then is it? )
Normally I would say your not stock, but depending on where you live atmospheric will effect your V.E (colder denser air) tricky tricky your trying to confuse me. I like it!! If your not boosted and your at sea level what did you do to reach 103% I'd like to know realy I would Cause I'll do the same thing to my DE. I figure a stock DE uses about 90-95% V.e. I would like to get that numer up cheap. dude jesse is looking to boost so I told him a number with 100% V.E cause he needs to hit that and go beyond to reach boost. What did you do please share HELP(port the heads?)
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I thought the heads were ported, but the OEM Pheno spacers fit right on, as well as the headers. Here's a link to my mods:
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=63008" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
stereoking15

Post by stereoking15 »

as a side note, being a an associate degree holder in automotive technology and being an apprentice heavy industries mechanic anybody that uses the name detroit diesel until recently knows that those engines in order to run used turbo charging and supercharging, (sometimes on the same engine) because they were a two stroke engine lack of power without these influences, also i would suspect that any system (electronic or not) excluding turbos can reach full 100% v.e. since a supercharger actually takes h.p. to make h.p. just becasue it creates boost doesnt make it efficient just means that it is able to pump more air by another mechanical force, secondary to the engines actual mechanical means to accomplish said v.e.

Last edited by stereoking15 on June 3rd, 2009, 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”