v6 but not preformance question

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Savin

Re: v6 but not preformance question

Post by Savin »

"Its not what you drive, its how you drive it." Car with bigger HP and TQ requires less effort to do things than a car with small HP and TQ. (within reason) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKTOyiKLARk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Prius vs. M3

Visual assistance brought to you by Top Gear.
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Wow that's amazing :shock: BUT, wouldn't the transmission play a role in this? What if the prius was revving high at that speed while the BMW was revving low? In our case the revs wouldn't change so we're working with different variables here.

Also, this video is a bit misleading. To get accurate results they would have to do a bunch of runs, at different speeds and such, to eliminate as many variables as possible. I highly doubt that the M3 will have better fuel economy at street legal speeds, such as cruising around the city, than the Prius. If the Prius was doing WOT half the time on that track then yeah no s--- it's gonna have worse fuel economy.
Last edited by _-Night-Shade-_ on May 20th, 2009, 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
Redline322

Post by Redline322 »

The point of the turbo to get better fuel economy is basically to help move a bigger mass with a smaller motor. For example, my cousin is building a turbo 2.3 for his 84 mustang. Even though is has a larger T3 turbo, is bored 30 over and fully built, no one can argue that it will not get better fuel economy than a 5.0L v8. A smaller motor can do the same job with assistance of a super/turbocharger to move the mass around and make roughly the same amount of power as the larger engine and also weighs less which also saves fuel. Using our cars as the basis of this doesnt work too well because our cars are already light enough so that a n/a 4 cyl. can move it around without much fuss so you wouldnt notice much of a difference in fuel economy. Gearing also plays a role in fuel exconomy, that's 1 of the keys to why diesels get such great fuel economy. Most of their power is available at low rpms which allows the manufacturer to give the car taller gears to take advantage of this. Basically, for better fuel economy with our cars, either a lighter foot, a tune up, or a gear swap are the only ways to really save fuel.
93 323 Bp'd, Front and rear strut braces, Mx-3 seats, JDM headlights and grill SOLD
93 Mx-3 GS Curved-Neck KLZE, 5 speed Conversion, Fidanza Flywheel, Cross Drilled Rotors
frontpage

Post by frontpage »

ah ok now that makes alot of sence basicly if you want to save fuel .. with the turbo put in a 1 liter engine to better the 1.8 n/a lol .. lol well not sure about that but a guess that is the future of things if you caught the new standards coming down the line .. 2016 standards close to the proposed and struck down fuel rules california tried to put in place and bush riped apart so his oil companies didn't have to worry ...
What is a BILLION.....???

A billion is a difficult number to comprehend:
A billion seconds ago it was 1959, and I was a teenager!
A billion minutes ago B.C. became A.D.
A billion hours ago our ancestors were apes.
A billion days ago no-one walked on the earth on two feet.
melb30x

Post by melb30x »

Don't bother..like you heard, regular services, fresh air intake (a cold air intake would help), spark plugs, leads things like that will improve your fuel economy.
Putting a turbo in there is not economically viable unless you're doing it for performance..not for your reasons.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Turbo's for efficiency really only work's on Diesels, or related technology
(http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article. ... id=1055955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Mazda developped the Miller-Cycle Supercharged V6 that gets the same milleage as the 4cyl 626, but it doesn't work like your standard supercharged system.

Honestly, I can't really explain scientifically on why a larger motor is more fuel efficient except that it doesn't work nearly as hard to pull the same amout of weight and push against the wind. I guess it's the same what that not only, as mentioned, putting in a better flowing intake and exhaust makes more power AND give you better milleage, but in the same way that if you put your stock 1.8 mx-3 on a diet and did some weight reduction, it would perform better and get better milleage as well.

I know many of us in the local club have gotten close or have just squeezed out over 500km on a tank, and I'm sure that your stock Mx3 can't get that close to 500km, more like 400.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
frontpage

Post by frontpage »

ok not that i am going to spend the money on this but someone mentioned improved air flow .. now would this work .. ?? lol first i have seen of this .. thought about for my mx-3 not for the misses .. manual and looking for power .. lol and would this solve the neck problem of the klze??

opps for forgot the link oh ya tried to email but no reply got return saying mail box was full so either really popular or dead site lol

http://www.spitzeperformance.com/Production.html
What is a BILLION.....???

A billion is a difficult number to comprehend:
A billion seconds ago it was 1959, and I was a teenager!
A billion minutes ago B.C. became A.D.
A billion hours ago our ancestors were apes.
A billion days ago no-one walked on the earth on two feet.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”