KLZE MX-3 vs Honda Civic/KLZE fuel economy

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Mikitu

Re: KLZE MX-3 vs Honda Civic/KLZE fuel economy

Post by Mikitu »

Off the bat a civic si has 160hp and is much lighter than the mx3. More power less weight (probably a bit less torque, but better fuel economy) simple math here.

To shed some perspective...
Here in portugal you can't get a klze. You have to import it from germany, perhaps. Not to mention there's a ton of cheap parts for the civic, so a k20 swap wouldn't be more expensive.
Again a si with a k20 has more hp than the klze and is lighter. So cheap power here would be the honda hands down.

Bottomline neither car is sports car, just two fun cars. One is a better daily driver (civic) the other is a lot sexier (mx3). Take your pick.
Daveb

Post by Daveb »

The MX-3 is a sports car if only because it comes as a 2 door coupe. Why dont you soup up your Honda 4 door sedan or Stationwagon (or estate car as they call them over there) :lol:
1994 GS 5 speed 1.8, fresh black paint, flowmaster muffler & Little smelly pine tree
1993 RS 5 speed SOHC with 89,000 original KMs! (rising fast though).
1994 RS 4 cyl auto- running parts car with 104,000 KMs
highflyin250x
antispam: No

Post by highflyin250x »

Well... still haven't gotten any real MPG numbers.

But i am definitely not agreeing that MX-3s are sports cars and civics are not. MX-3s do a little better on a skid pad stock but other than that they don't have much. You can really build civics, i assume that even honda haters agree that an s2000 is a "sports car"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHQ4rp1w ... L&index=46" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thats not even a k swap civic which would be faster. Good videos on there of k20 hatch's pulling on stock evos from a roll. But i cant find a k20a which is the motor that i would want to swap for less than $2500

I guess i will get my friend to tune his KLZE with mega squirt and i will get my car tuned (ditch the generic chip) and see the MPG and drag results

I have driven like an A$$hole this week and still gotten in the high 20's (27-29) Been getting lights with Scion tcs and na 300zxs that think there fast.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I have a ZE clone, and MegaSquirt, along with many other mods. I expect 38mpg or better once I put in my wideband, and tune it. I get an average of 33mpg fwy right now.

You can definitely build Hondas, since there's almost infinite aftermartket support, but if you look through the worklogs here, you'll see that you can really build these, too, if you're good enough.
Sure, a monkey could be trained to bolt aftermarket parts onto a Honda. I've had fast cars, but my MX-3 is my favorite car that I've had, since it's custom built.
Even if I had a Honda, I'd custom build it, but it wouldn't be satisfying, because if I beat people, they'd think I just bought a bunch of stuff, and bolted it on.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
highflyin250x wrote:Still want some more solid figures on mx-3's with KLZE swaps though.
Is there already a thread that i have missed where people say their mods and driving style and mpg?
Many many many threads.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61757&hilit=31l" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65306&hilit=31l" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=66372&hilit=31l" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nd4SpdSe wrote:I'm going to say that I get roughly 420km on 31L on fuel with my Probinator. Best I've done is 510km on 39L

3.785411784 is how many liters in a US Gallon

8.189333 gallons to 260.975901 miles = 31.86MPG

10.30271 gallons to 316.899308 miles = 30.76MPG

So my Mx-3 averaged about 31MPG. I used to get upto 450 on 31L with my KL36, which is about 34MPG. Those numbers usually involve hard driving too. That 510km tank we must of averaged 160km/h that trip, hitting over 200 frequently, made awesome time cutting about 2 hours off normally a 6+ hour trip. I've never tried a driving in a "pure economy" mode, but considering how well she was on gas, and how fun she's to drive, why would I want to, lol.

My setup is a KL01 Curved-Neck ZE. KL36 ECU with a JE50 VAF, changed to a Probiantor in a K8 ECU, modified-to-fit OBX headers with new 02 sensors, 2.5" crush bent exhaust with a Magnaflow high-flow cat and no resonator, stock FPR with a low-pressure Walbro 255LPH fuel pump. Original Mx-3 tranny with Mx-3 flywheel. Usually running Sonoco 94, or the highest octane I can get.

Just a note, I ran a K8 ECU with a JE50 VAF on my ZE for only a few days when we first did the swap, fuel milleage was horrible! Kp2t had a K8 ECU when he got his pre-swapped mx-3 and he wasn't getting that good in milleage either unti he went with my recommendation and got a KL36. I know on the Ottawa trip when we'd fill up were were pretty much on the ball with each other in terms of how much we put in.
I should add that my 510km wouldn't technically be the best. When my deformed tank went to 31L, I would get about 470km on a tank. I did alot of driving back-and-forth to home from Richmond Virginia.

Now, my buddy has a K20a Civic
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/879/12042009033.jpg
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/2149/12042009030.jpg

I commute with him (100-180km daily, depending if we carpool with others), and the best tank he's gotten so far is about 475km on 35L, and he tries to max out his milleage. My 475km/31L average and that's with a decently heavy foot, so far, I would definitely say that my ZE Mx-3 is better on fuel than a K20 Civic.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Well I am getting around 400-450kms off 35-40L of fuel. Can't remember MPG but it's about 8-9L per 100kms. Almost 30mpg. I drive with not much traffic and mostly at a normal pace so that may help a fair bit.

But my engine is also crap, not powerful and blowing smoke. I'd imagine it might use less fuel if it was healthy. Will find out soon enough when I get my warranty replacement.

Btw all this talk about old civics with post 2000 motors in them is a little bit silly. Why would you put such a new engine in such an old car? I don't see how a 2007 motor with low mileage could be sold for under $1000. I know for a fact that here in Australia, engines that are very new and low mileage get sold for plenty more.

A fair comparison would be if mazda had another 2.5L V6 or perhaps a 2.7L V6 with 200KW of power (270HP) and we could bolt it in.

Meh, I only consider it a fair engine swap if it just bolts right in. If it doesn't, then it's not really an easy swap, it's a custom job. Our engines just come out, and go in, no wiring change, no mounting changed, maybe a couple vacuum lines at best LOL. We might as well swap in the Mazda speed 3 190KW engine hahaha.

But with that said, why not just buy a Mazda speed 3? Or why not just buy a new civic/integra with the more powerful motors. It's going to be safer, more comfy, more legal... lol, less head f***, etc.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

I hereby declare this the official "Post your fuel mileage" topic!

I get an average of 9.0L/100km (26 mpg) on a stock K8 with 215,000km and a faulty EGR valve.
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Nd4SpdSe wrote: I'm going to say that I get roughly 420km on 31L on fuel with my Probinator. Best I've done is 510km on 39L
Something is clearly wrong with my car. I am hypermiling to get 380km out of a 40L fill. I am also running a Probinator K801 ECU but on a straight neck ZE. I'm using the standard K&N CAI setup with the stock JE50 VAF, EBAY header and 2.25" mandrel bent exhaust with new O2 sensors, no CAT and a high flow 14" resonator.

I think that the VAF could be part of the problem but I really can't understand why everyone else is getting so much better mileage than me.

I'm frustrated by it.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

My probinator mileage is also poor. It runs at 10.1 AFR at WOT. It's just wrong! I've tried 2 VAFs, two manifolds, two TBs etc... Hopefully I'll be MSing soon :( :x
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Just found out my buddy's speedo is off by 10km/h, showing faster than it is, meaning is his odometer is off too. So he's probably somewhere around 522km on 35L
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”