KLZE MX-3 vs Honda Civic/KLZE fuel economy

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
SmoothMX3

Re: KLZE MX-3 vs Honda Civic/KLZE fuel economy

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Moon, Talk whenever you'd like... Remember, you are a Mod.
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
--- K8 was my gateway drug.
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

Illa Killa wrote:Try reading my posts again before talking.
Try reading those little letters "Forum Moderator" before throwing out disrespect.
Mooneggs wrote:BUT no more arguing EITHER OF YOU - it's pointless and you both look stupid. :freak:
...and this was no snide remark; it should be taken more like a warning.

Shame on you for dumping hate all over a noob's first topic.
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

So...
back on topic..
In the fast car, I shift at about 2,500rpm, when driving normally, so I think it would be fine to cruise at about 2,500, if you have the right ECU. However, my car is built for low end torque, with DE intake cams.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

Nallboy wrote:
Illa Killa wrote:Try reading my posts again before talking.
Try reading those little letters "Forum Moderator" before throwing out disrespect.
Mooneggs wrote:BUT no more arguing EITHER OF YOU - it's pointless and you both look stupid. :freak:
...and this was no snide remark; it should be taken more like a warning.

Shame on you for dumping hate all over a noob's first topic.
Point out the disrepect for me first off. I'd like to see where I was disrespectful to MoonEggs. Also it shouldnt matter if hes a mod or not, everyone is equal in my eyes. Second I never dumped hate on any topic, I gave the noob alot of valuable information backed up by facts, where SmoothMX3 gave him BS info that isnt true at all. I'm trying to give this noob an informed point of view, not a biased, anti-Honda viewpoint that many people on this forum share. Smooth said Honda swaps are expensive, I KNOW theyre not. Smooth said you cant make good power cheap with a Honda, I KNOW you can and let the OP know what swaps were out there and how much they cost. I see that as giving good information and not dumping hate. I must be getting ganged up on because I told him to keep his Civic instead of buying an all mighty KLZE MX-3.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I will jump in and say this; I know what non-biased info sounds like, and your post honestly feel way more anti-Mx3 than being biased. It almost feels like you have a grudge against the car.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

No not at all, I love MX-3s and am actually planning on getting another one very soon as a DD. I didnt have 4 of them because I hate them, that wouldnt make sense. What I'm saying is the truth, the Honda with a swap will be faster, make alot more power, get better gas mileage, and be just as cheap as a KLZE MX-3 if you do the work yourself and know where to get the parts. I would never buy a Civic in my life and love MX-3s but those are the facts. Just because we're on an MX-3 forum doesnt mean that they are the best cars in their class anymore. Times have changed, Honda keeps progressing with newer, better motors that can be swapped into Civics while MX-3 progress has been at a halt since the mid to late 90s when people figured out the KLs can be swapped in. It took Civics a good decade to catch up and pass the KLZE MX-3s, theres no shame in that at all.
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

I really don't feel like going back and looking... But yes, you are right on one note. You can make power from honda's for cheap. I never said you couldn't make power cheap. I said you couldn't do a worthwhile swap that compares to a ZE, at an equal or cheaper price. I am not anti-Honda. If you will look in my worklog, I think it's on my first or second page, You will see a Honda CRX in the background of one of those pictures. I used to own that CRX before I got my current (2nd) MX-3. Where I live, there are tons of Honda drivers. Why am I not one of them? - Because, I know the prices of swaps are more expensive, I want to be different, and last but not least... the sexy curves of an mx-3 almost make me quiver to my knees. I was talking to a fellow mx-3'r on here. (im not saying who)... But they told me you don't even own an mx-3. No wonder you are trying to argue with me, then get an attitude with the famous MOON. Since I have been coming to this site, I love it. I love how it's suddle and not one of the those 'crazy' places. We don't need your negativity. Some of the people on this forum have mx-3's because they are just pure out in love with them. Other's have an mx-3, just because it's the smarter choice. Of course you won't get good feeback if your saying that a honda is better to own then a mx-3, while you are on a MX-3 FORUM. ALSO, you said it was a FACT.

Anyways, Moon... I'm sorry about my behavior and I know it isn't acceptable, especially when it's this guy's first post. But read Illa's post. I feel that it's disrespectful for one to point out that we are wrong, when this is what we strive for on this forum. Why push away, what could be new mx-3'rs and instead of bringing them in. I like to build this forum up, not tear it down. again, sorry.
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

I just pooped a little......

Anyone??

Anyone??

:lol: :love2:
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Daveb

Post by Daveb »

Yes, Honda civics are reliable, cheap on gas & parts are generally way cheaper than mazda (just check air filter prices in Canada, $10 & $50 respectively) but a civic is not and probably never will be a sports car, its a cheap Granny go to store (mass produced) little car.

When you hit the highway at 160 km per hour, you can feel the difference, if the whole body styling doesnt just tell you that from the start.

I admit, civics are a great daily driver But an original mx-3 rs was just as good. Maybe a bit more pricey on regular maintenance.

I know I read somewhere that the MX-3 was rated in the top 10 best all around sports cars of all times :)
live and let live
1994 GS 5 speed 1.8, fresh black paint, flowmaster muffler & Little smelly pine tree
1993 RS 5 speed SOHC with 89,000 original KMs! (rising fast though).
1994 RS 4 cyl auto- running parts car with 104,000 KMs
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

SmoothMX3 wrote:I really don't feel like going back and looking... But yes, you are right on one note. You can make power from honda's for cheap. I never said you couldn't make power cheap. I said you couldn't do a worthwhile swap that compares to a ZE, at an equal or cheaper price. I am not anti-Honda. If you will look in my worklog, I think it's on my first or second page, You will see a Honda CRX in the background of one of those pictures. I used to own that CRX before I got my current (2nd) MX-3. Where I live, there are tons of Honda drivers. Why am I not one of them? - Because, I know the prices of swaps are more expensive, I want to be different, and last but not least... the sexy curves of an mx-3 almost make me quiver to my knees. I was talking to a fellow mx-3'r on here. (im not saying who)... But they told me you don't even own an mx-3. No wonder you are trying to argue with me, then get an attitude with the famous MOON. Since I have been coming to this site, I love it. I love how it's suddle and not one of the those 'crazy' places. We don't need your negativity. Some of the people on this forum have mx-3's because they are just pure out in love with them. Other's have an mx-3, just because it's the smarter choice. Of course you won't get good feeback if your saying that a honda is better to own then a mx-3, while you are on a MX-3 FORUM. ALSO, you said it was a FACT.

Anyways, Moon... I'm sorry about my behavior and I know it isn't acceptable, especially when it's this guy's first post. But read Illa's post. I feel that it's disrespectful for one to point out that we are wrong, when this is what we strive for on this forum. Why push away, what could be new mx-3'rs and instead of bringing them in. I like to build this forum up, not tear it down. again, sorry.
I'm not pushing anyone away, he asked for an honest answer and I gave it to him. Like I said earlier, I dont have an MX3 anymore, so what? I've had 4 and plan on getting a 5th, should I leave the site that I've been on since its inception just because I dont have one anymore? If thats the case, good bye Barry, good bye Jeff, etc. Then you say you dont need my negativity here, who are YOU?? I was on here for years and years before you got here, I've seen hundreds of people come and go and you are no different. I didnt know telling OP that Hondas get better gas mileage was such negativity. Shame on me for actually giving him a legitimate, unbiased answer. Ricers such as yourself kind of make me want to leave this community sometimes, but there are alot more members here that are very cool people and thats why I stay.
Daveb wrote: I know I read somewhere that the MX-3 was rated in the top 10 best all around sports cars of all times :)
I really doubt you read that since the MX-3 isnt even a sports car. Its a sporty economy car, kind of like a Sentra SE-R or Civic SI.
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Who am I? - I'm just another MX-3 member on this forum. I will not let you talk disrespectful to me or *Moon*, no matter how long you've been here. You stay here because their are some cool members on here... Fine, stay. Other then that, bye!!
I just wanted to point this out one more time, because I think it's way funny. You said to me "Gangster" ... lmao
Look at your name bro. Illa Killa... Who's the E-gangster here? :lol: :lol:

That's it for me... I'm done with your childishness.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Killa is right, he lacks political correctness.

Who cares which swap is more expensive.

Economy? I would vote Honda, not knowing any of the actual numbers. 2.5L vs <2.3L ...

Why not research stock fuel mileage that would be enough of a ball park...
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
neli_nael

Post by neli_nael »

its really a matter of preference here, you can make a mpg efficient mx3 or civic and have close to same performance. $$ wise it will be close to the same as well.
94 mx3 rs
92 mx3 gs curved neck klze SOLD
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I assume, if a person is wondering about fuel economy, he's probably economy minded in general. I'm sure I could build a 300HP car that gets 33MPG, but the initial costs would negate any money saved in gas.
IF the Honda swap costs more than what would be saved in gas, it would be more worth it economically to do the ZE. If the Honda costs more initially, but you're going to drive it 200,000 miles, and it gets better mileage, you may save money in a few years.
I think, though, that you were interested in style, and not just being another Honda Boy. Nowadays, if you spend $40,000 on a Honda, and beat other Hondas, SO what?! Even beating cars that cost about the same isn't impressive. BUT, if you come up in a rarer car that looks good, it sets you apart. If you beat a bunch of cars in something you built yourself, that has no aftermarket support, that's impressive.
For instance, I've got a 13 second car all hand built for a total of less than $4,000, with all leather, and power accessories, including A/C. I think that's something.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
boosted_bullet

Post by boosted_bullet »

:werd:
chicks dig the rice!

-bullet

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”