1994 MX3 v6

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ski
antispam: No

1994 MX3 v6

Post by ski »

Son just bought car ,exhaust was rusted off about half way back so spent the day at autowreckers and in garage installin exhaust now I see hes getting black smoke from exhaust when he revs it and a oil like fluid in tail pipe ,not thick like oil but black and thin,Previous owner told son when he bought car that it might need a head gasket but wasn't sure.Would this be the cause for the smoke and fluid? Also car doesn't idle very well I am what you would call a beginner backyard mech,can do somethings brakes stuts waterpumps ect If it is headgasket is their a online manual for this car.I checked the home page and it has 93's and 95's manuals but not 94
Daveb

Re: 1994 MX3 v6

Post by Daveb »

It does sound like head gasket. First check your oil cap for grey/whitish foam or sludge (maybe inside valve cover too, check thruogh hole with light). If you have a lot of that, u best do head gasket or change engine, coolant leaking into oil (may show on dipstick as well). Driving like this will wreck your engine fast.

If your oil seems fine, check your antifreeze level, top up and use the car a bit. If your antifreeze goes down you have coolant leaking into combustion chambers. In this case I would almost suggest doing a rad flush &/or a a sealer to your prestone. These sealers claim they can fix minor head gasket leaks.

I ve always had good luck with bars leaks, i get from Canadian tire.

I m just giving suggestions, I could be wrong. The head Gasket job would probably be correct way but 1.8 s are reasonable & a 2.5 KLZE would raise the value of the car & give it some zip.Your call

good luck
1994 GS 5 speed 1.8, fresh black paint, flowmaster muffler & Little smelly pine tree
1993 RS 5 speed SOHC with 89,000 original KMs! (rising fast though).
1994 RS 4 cyl auto- running parts car with 104,000 KMs
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

New plugs, check the wires, set the TPS, air filter clean? Oil change, fuel injector cleaner and hig test gas. Take the car on the hwy for a bit and see if it improves. After checking what daveb said.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

The thin black material in the exhaust is water vapour mixing with the carbon soot in the muffler. That is a good indication that the engine is, or was running pretty rich. Could also mean that the car you took the exhaust parts off was running really rich and you got the byproduct of that when you installed it on your son's car.

I'd run it for a while and see if the black smoke abates. It's pretty rare for an engine to produce thick black smoke. That would indicate a significant amount of oil burning. If it continues, you'll notice the engine oil level going down almost daily. If that is the case, the engine is probably not salvageable.

My bet is that the exhaust you pulled was really carbonney and it's just burning off.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

You'd get a sweet-smelling white smoke from the exhaust if it was head gasket.

If your burning oil, typically you'll get blue-ish smoke.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
ski
antispam: No

Post by ski »

Thanks for all the great advice ,black smoke seems to have fixed it self so I'm guessing Wytbishop was right ,as for head gasket theirs no water in oil that I can see have topped off rad fluid and told son to keep carefull watch on level if it goes down we will try Daveb's sealent fix to see if this will work as its the simpleset fix .
The only other problem is the car stalling when he comes to a stop it slowly idles down then dies,If temp gauge is at normal running temp car runs great doesn't stall

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”