KLZE MX-3 vs Honda Civic/KLZE fuel economy

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Re: KLZE MX-3 vs Honda Civic/KLZE fuel economy

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

SmoothMX3 wrote:Yea... Some of you say to keep the civic and do this or that swap. If you know anything about Honda's, you know their swap's are rediculously overpriced. Just compare a ze hp and tq and the price, then do the same for a K or H swap... my point exactly.
You have no point, a G22 swap is just as cheap or cheaper than a standard ZE swap and it makes well over 200whp. An LS-V is dirt cheap and makes about 185whp which is more than a ZE also. I know people selling K24 motors for $700 all the time around me also which is cheaper than a ZE motor. Then take into account that a lightweight Civic doesnt need nearly as much horsepower as an MX3 to run the same times and you have a really big performance difference for the same price or less than a ZE MX3.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
Daveb

Post by Daveb »

I get lots of compliments on the sound of my mx-3, stock with a flowmaster muffler (2 sq pipes out the back). Has a nice rumble at low rpm & seems to quiet down a bit when u rev it up, nice on the highway.Hondas always have that tinny sound. I got a honda too. MX-3 all the way !
1994 GS 5 speed 1.8, fresh black paint, flowmaster muffler & Little smelly pine tree
1993 RS 5 speed SOHC with 89,000 original KMs! (rising fast though).
1994 RS 4 cyl auto- running parts car with 104,000 KMs
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Illa Killa wrote:
SmoothMX3 wrote:Yea... Some of you say to keep the civic and do this or that swap. If you know anything about Honda's, you know their swap's are rediculously overpriced. Just compare a ze hp and tq and the price, then do the same for a K or H swap... my point exactly.
You have no point, a G22 swap is just as cheap or cheaper than a standard ZE swap and it makes well over 200whp. An LS-V is dirt cheap and makes about 185whp which is more than a ZE also. I know people selling K24 motors for $700 all the time around me also which is cheaper than a ZE motor. Then take into account that a lightweight Civic doesnt need nearly as much horsepower as an MX3 to run the same times and you have a really big performance difference for the same price or less than a ZE MX3.
Who said anything about a G22 swap?! - Um, Not me. Okay then. Nuff said.
We are talking about a civic and a mx-3, as stated in the topic.
Okay, you find people with K swaps for $700.00 ... Go you!
Look them up on the internet. I bet you don't find any for 700 bucks. Most people buy swaps from a trusted buisness. Anyways... It doesn't take a scientist to figure this out. Durh!
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
--- K8 was my gateway drug.
neli_nael

Post by neli_nael »

the honda k engines themselves are pretty cheap, its just getting it in to the civics that is costly.
94 mx3 rs
92 mx3 gs curved neck klze SOLD
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

SmoothMX3 wrote:Who said anything about a G22 swap?! - Um, Not me. Okay then. Nuff said.
We are talking about a civic and a mx-3, as stated in the topic.
I mentioned the G22 swap in my original post so I took your first reply above in bold letters as a response to me. And if YOU know anything about Hondas you'd know what a G22 swap is so please stop trying to drop knowledge about things you very obviously know nothing about. A G22 swap can be done for ~$1500 complete and makes about 220whp-240whp. Go look it up on google so next time you get into a discussion about swaps you can make pretend you know everything without looking stupid.
SmoothMX3 wrote:Okay, you find people with K swaps for $700.00 ... Go you!
Look them up on the internet. I bet you don't find any for 700 bucks. Most people buy swaps from a trusted buisness. Anyways... It doesn't take a scientist to figure this out. Durh!
It doesnt take a scientist to figure out you are possibly 16-20 years old and you think you know it all about everything. The K24 motor can be had dirt cheap because it comes out alot of everyday cars that you can easily find crashed anywhere. And the whole swap COMPLETE in the car can be done for roughly $3000 or so. How do I know this?? Because about 20 people I know have this swap done and I helped install a couple. Maybe in the sticks where you live at things arent readily available and this swap is expensive but its far from that where I live. Maybe you should move somewhere with things to do and places to go, you might not be so miserable on an internet forum. :shrug: Or do you need a hug gangster??
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

If I'm not mistaken, I think the G22 swaps are the newest swaps the honda guys are doing?
I, of course am not really into Honda's at all, but know quite a bit of knowledge about them.
Like you said, It's not the motor that is so expensive, it's getting it in there, etc...
Okay? - My point proven again.
Actually, No... I'm 24. I don't think I know alot about everything. Ask Jordan, I talk to him all the time.
I should move? - LMAO!!
Look guy... I don't care about moving from whereever I am just because something may be cheap--- Wait, Let me stop there. undoubtly, you are very immature, and of course... Immature people like yourself, try to guys like us to stoop to your level.
Btw, Let me point out 1 thing. I'm not miserable at all. I'm a 24 year old male with my own house. I have a beautiful wife, and two wonderful kids. Keep trying bud... I love life.
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

He lives in NY...to him everyone else lives in the sticks.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

wytbishop wrote:He lives in NY...to him everyone else lives in the sticks.
Get out of my igloo...
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

SmoothMX3 wrote:If I'm not mistaken, I think the G22 swaps are the newest swaps the honda guys are doing?
I, of course am not really into Honda's at all, but know quite a bit of knowledge about them.
Like you said, It's not the motor that is so expensive, it's getting it in there, etc...
Okay? - My point proven again.
Actually, No... I'm 24. I don't think I know alot about everything. Ask Jordan, I talk to him all the time.
I should move? - LMAO!!
Look guy... I don't care about moving from whereever I am just because something may be cheap--- Wait, Let me stop there. undoubtly, you are very immature, and of course... Immature people like yourself, try to guys like us to stoop to your level.
Btw, Let me point out 1 thing. I'm not miserable at all. I'm a 24 year old male with my own house. I have a beautiful wife, and two wonderful kids. Keep trying bud... I love life.
I'm guessing you dont do work on your own car, thats the only way I can see you saying Honda swaps are expensive to put in the car. When I say COMPLETE in my previous posts I mean everything installed and the car running. A G22 for $1500 with ~230whp is great in my opinion. A K swap is alittle more expensive but in the end it is a superior platform and even that isnt too much money. My boy spent ~$5000 for a built K24 block and K20 CTR head making 280whp all motor. Basically, your point isnt proven again just like you never proved any point earlier.

Also, 24 with a house, a wife and two kids, congratulations! You probably married this chick straight out of high school, never been with anyone else, and got stuck living the life of a 50 year old. Thats sad if you ask me, if it was me I'd probably slit my wrists. But I wouldnt expect anything else from Alabama, nothing else to do but get married to your "high school sweetheart"...what a joke. :lol:

Anyways back on topic: stick with your Honda if you want better mileage and more power to weight. Go with a ZE MX-3 if you want a beautiful exhaust note, and something out of the ordinary with decent mileage and power.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Alright enough OT arguments...

Yoda DID post about fouling plugs w/ the longest Final Drive and 5th he could find...however, I don't believe he was running an engine management system. On the stock setup, sure - this will happen...it does not necessarily have to happen though if you are running MS.

I know the saying "your car works harder at lower RPMS, etc etc." but this is a silly argument when you're talking about swaps...the ZE makes more power down LOW than the K8 does up high! Also, (speaking of civics) my g/f's stock civic has no balls and gets along just fine on the highway...and gets great mileage.
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

I don't work on my own car?
Nah, i don't. lmao
My boy spent ~$5000 for a built K24 block and K20 CTR head
5K, huh? lol
Tell your "boy" to check out the honda forums. Their on guys on there running a stock D series with a turbo pushing 250 to the wheels.. maybe more. I can't remember exactly. I can get exact numbers for you though. :lol:
Also, 24 with a house, a wife and two kids, congratulations! You probably married this chick straight out of high school, never been with anyone else, and got stuck living the life of a 50 year old. Thats sad if you ask me, if it was me I'd probably slit my wrists. But I wouldnt expect anything else from Alabama, nothing else to do but get married to your "high school sweetheart"...what a joke.
Thanks for the congrats, bro! - Actually your right about 1 thing. She married me straight out of high school. I was in home school. haha - Live the life of a 50 year old? - hmm... If going to my son's T-ball games and being a father that any man, no matter what age, should be... Then I love living like a 50 year old. lmao (GO STORMS!)
See, most people arent like you... That's why we enjoy life. We don't slit our wrists, we watch people like yourself do it. So.. you wouldn't expect anything else from Alabama? - LMAO ... people of mx-3, listen to this guy, he's so funny.

Oh... It's my turn to make a funny too... Look at his name. "Illa Killa" ... LMMFAO!
Owned.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Illa Killa wrote:
Also, 24 with a house, a wife and two kids, congratulations! You probably married this chick straight out of high school, never been with anyone else, and got stuck living the life of a 50 year old. Thats sad if you ask me, if it was me I'd probably slit my wrists. But I wouldnt expect anything else from Alabama, nothing else to do but get married to your "high school sweetheart"...what a joke. :lol:
That ain't right man. Bad form dude.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

onlytrueromeo wrote:Yoda DID post about fouling plugs w/ the longest Final Drive and 5th he could find...however, I don't believe he was running an engine management system. On the stock setup, sure - this will happen...it does not necessarily have to happen though if you are running MS.

I know the saying "your car works harder at lower RPMS, etc etc." but this is a silly argument when you're talking about swaps...the ZE makes more power down LOW than the K8 does up high! Also, (speaking of civics) my g/f's stock civic has no balls and gets along just fine on the highway...and gets great mileage.
May maybe not, but there's no guarantee that an EMS system system will prevent that either.

Not at all. We're not talking about putting a 4.11 trans on a K8, just cause the ZE makes more power down low than K8 doesn't mean you can put the tallest gears on it and it'll still work fine. Also, just cause it makes that much power down low doesn't mean it's creating that power efficiently. It also doesn't mean that you're not going to get better gas milleage if your driving around at 6k either.

You can't use your g/f's Civic to comparer, it's stock, and Honda R&D'd and setup the gears so it would be at it's best efficiency at highway speeds.

If people think that if they get gearing so that ZE Mx-3's will get better gas milleage cruising at 2500rpms on the highway, I would put money on that they wouldnt. The 4.11:1 would yeild better milleage than a 4.38, but the 4.38 is damn good on milleag too, despite what people think about reving at 4k @120km/h. If you've got KL01 cams, You could probably step it up just a bit with slightly taller gears because of it's peak torque being lower, which would make sence considernig it's only mated to a 4-speed auto, so its 4th gear would be longer than the 5th in the 5-speed manual, but i wouldn't recommend exceding that ratio for a 5th gear much taller than that before fuel economy starts going down instead of up.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

SmoothMX3 wrote:arguing
Illa Killa wrote:Anyways back on topic: stick with your Honda if you want better mileage and more power to weight. Go with a ZE MX-3 if you want a beautiful exhaust note, and something out of the ordinary with decent mileage and power.
that's the first worthwhile thing you have said in a while and I agree...

BUT no more arguing EITHER OF YOU - it's pointless and you both look stupid. :freak:
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

Mooneggs wrote:
SmoothMX3 wrote:arguing
Illa Killa wrote:Anyways back on topic: stick with your Honda if you want better mileage and more power to weight. Go with a ZE MX-3 if you want a beautiful exhaust note, and something out of the ordinary with decent mileage and power.
that's the first worthwhile thing you have said in a while and I agree...

BUT no more arguing EITHER OF YOU - it's pointless and you both look stupid. :freak:
Try reading my posts again before talking. They're almost all meaningful.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”