KLZE pistons, rods, etc

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
kast2L

KLZE pistons, rods, etc

Post by kast2L »

Alright now I planned on buying new pistons for the KLZE im getting and they are wiesco pistons and my friend told me to get .2 over whatever the stock is (i guess .2 bore I do not remember his exact words) because he said they would ask me to what bore them to i guess if/when I ordered them, as I said already I do not remember his exact words so don't be too harsh on the comments. Also need to know if its 20 pin or 21 I believe it is 20 and for those who want to know what compression they are it is 11.5:1. I plan on buying the titanium retainers later and probably the K1 rods unless the millenia S rods work with the pistons I'm trying to get. Any feedback or suggestions are welcome.
onlytrueromeo

Re: KLZE pistons, rods, etc

Post by onlytrueromeo »

What are u using the car for? I'm assuming if you're looking into getting 11.5:1 CR pistons you don't plan on boosting later down the road. That is a very high CR for a KL, and I wish you best of luck if thats what you go with. What will you be using for management?

I wouldn't suggest boring too much. You can go with the smallest increment if you so choose, .1 I think, but if you keep going you will be sacrificing a bit too much wall thickness IMO. What are the K1 rods? If you're building a rev happy 11.5:1 CR engine, I would suggest a change in cams and springs/retainers/locks now rather than later. No sense in pulling the engine apart twice, and possibly breaking something before you get them in there.

If you don't plan on building a rev happy engine, why are you looking at such a high CR?

Expect AT LEAST 5k for this setup, done right. Can't just throw 11.5:1 pistons in an engine w/ 10:1 and not expect to change anything else - you won't get the gains you're looking for, and have a high possibility of breaking stuff.
kast2L

Post by kast2L »

onlytrueromeo wrote:What are u using the car for? I'm assuming if you're looking into getting 11.5:1 CR pistons you don't plan on boosting later down the road. That is a very high CR for a KL, and I wish you best of luck if thats what you go with. What will you be using for management?

I wouldn't suggest boring too much. You can go with the smallest increment if you so choose, .1 I think, but if you keep going you will be sacrificing a bit too much wall thickness IMO. What are the K1 rods? If you're building a rev happy 11.5:1 CR engine, I would suggest a change in cams and springs/retainers/locks now rather than later. No sense in pulling the engine apart twice, and possibly breaking something before you get them in there.
Expect AT LEAST 5k for this setup, done right. Can't just throw 11.5:1 pistons in an engine w/ 10:1 and not expect to
If you don't plan on building a rev happy engine, why are you looking at such a high CR?

change anything else - you won't get the gains you're looking for, and have a high possibility of breaking stuff.
First thanks for your quick response and the K1 rods they sell at importperformanceparts.net, I do not have a direct link to them. Also I was with you 100% with the doing everything at once, but what cams are better than the KLZE cams? I read that mikel cams or something of the sort which are like $450. I just plan on buying things one at a time and going from there and i do plan on revvin high but this isn't going to be a daily car and running boost on something with such high compression is extremely dangerous so I highly doubt unless someone gave me another KLZE as a gift or something lol that I would be turboing it. Like Ima get the titanium retainers from Ferrea and I haven't decided what kind of springs, still searching on who sells 2.5 springs, Ferrea makes super alloy valves but not for a 2.5 it seems. I already have a new timing belt kit, water pump, I forgot the name of the site but they sell like rebuild kits like silver, gold, platinum, and I believe ima buy the gold which comes with mostly everything and a oil pump. I'll link it once i find it again. I believe it is topline though.
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

on the import performance parts site I think the biggest over bore piston they sell is the wiseco .040 (forty thousandths over) and you definetly dont want to go any bigger then .040

the 11.5 pistons will be great for an all motor build... you will always have to use 94 octane in your car with that comp. ratio though

also, the pin diameter stock is 20mm, and the millenia s is 21mm. so depending on what rod you go with youll need to know before ordering the pistons
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
neli_nael

Post by neli_nael »

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

they have valves, retainers and springs by ferrea. heard they have bad customer service tho, i dont have any experience with them.
94 mx3 rs
92 mx3 gs curved neck klze SOLD
kast2L

Post by kast2L »

JWMX3 wrote:on the import performance parts site I think the biggest over bore piston they sell is the wiseco .040 (forty thousandths over) and you definetly dont want to go any bigger then .040

the 11.5 pistons will be great for an all motor build... you will always have to use 94 octane in your car with that comp. ratio though

also, the pin diameter stock is 20mm, and the millenia s is 21mm. so depending on what rod you go with youll need to know before ordering the pistons

Well thanks for the heads up on the pin diameter, from what it looks like the K1 Rods are 21 pin but are billet (which is good) and are about half the price of the Pauter but I heard that Pauters are basically the best you can get and almost double the price and are 20 pin. Using 94 octane isn't a big deal since it wouldnt be a dd.
kast2L

Post by kast2L »

Well I've almost come to a decision and as the other guy said Ima be paying about almost 4-5k atleast for this but I'm in no rush with this project but i gotta put money away for vacation then. Gonna go with the 11.5:1 .040 and Pauter rod combo, should run me about 1600 i believe (I am staying N/A for those that ask) and also when buying valve retainers I should get valve springs with it right?
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Springs are only needed if you're going to rev higher to prevent valve float. To get the most out of a N/A engine, you will want to rev to 8k+, esp if this is not a daily driver. Titanium retainers will help, but you might want to look into getting new springs too. Ferrea is the most expensive, and I believe you can go with interprep springs which are a bit better than stock.
Use search for more info, but here is quick stuff.
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=60369" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for cams, get colt cams, N/A street grind. I believe they're ~450+shipping or so.
http://www.coltcams.com/html/camshaft/index.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Get megasquirt or another EMS + wideband. Seriously. If you have a running car now, hook up megasquirt now so you will have a basis to start from before you install the 11.5 pistons - seriously, you dont want to chance detonation. Figure $500 for this if you build it yourself and get an AEM wideband.

Are you getting a custom manifold made or sticking with the ZE on?

Get an external oil pump to help w/ high revving. (Search LEO323 on probetalk or here)

W/ whatever spring/retainer combo you go, make sure they fit with each other.
kast2L

Post by kast2L »

onlytrueromeo wrote:Springs are only needed if you're going to rev higher to prevent valve float. To get the most out of a N/A engine, you will want to rev to 8k+, esp if this is not a daily driver. Titanium retainers will help, but you might want to look into getting new springs too. Ferrea is the most expensive, and I believe you can go with interprep springs which are a bit better than stock.
Use search for more info, but here is quick stuff.
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=60369" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for cams, get colt cams, N/A street grind. I believe they're ~450+shipping or so.
http://www.coltcams.com/html/camshaft/index.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Get megasquirt or another EMS + wideband. Seriously. If you have a running car now, hook up megasquirt now so you will have a basis to start from before you install the 11.5 pistons - seriously, you dont want to chance detonation. Figure $500 for this if you build it yourself and get an AEM wideband.

Are you getting a custom manifold made or sticking with the ZE on?

Get an external oil pump to help w/ high revving. (Search LEO323 on probetalk or here)

W/ whatever spring/retainer combo you go, make sure they fit with each other.
I didn't plan going with a custom manifold but thanks guys for your input and the link to the colt cams because I wanted to look those up plus more than likely the block will get sleeved because I got a dude at a shop that said he'll give me a special discount on it so when im ready i'll find out how much that will run me and would this help for the oil http://probeaddiction.com/dualfilter.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ???
Daveb

Post by Daveb »

sounds awesome! You might as well port, polish and match your heads & intake even if you go with the millenia curved neck. I miss that chevron red 94 octane smell in the morning, cant get it here.
1994 GS 5 speed 1.8, fresh black paint, flowmaster muffler & Little smelly pine tree
1993 RS 5 speed SOHC with 89,000 original KMs! (rising fast though).
1994 RS 4 cyl auto- running parts car with 104,000 KMs
kast2L

Post by kast2L »

Daveb wrote:sounds awesome! You might as well port, polish and match your heads & intake even if you go with the millenia curved neck. I miss that chevron red 94 octane smell in the morning, cant get it here.
thanks man i appreciate the support, will post some photos of some the items I already bought to put on it when the wifey gives me the camera back.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

93 is prevalent in NY, I dont know about 94 - could always get some octane booster.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Ya, I'm planing a rebuild with the 11.5/.040 pistons as well, haven't ordered them yet tho... I've got the Millenia S rods, should be more than strong enough for N/A, help keep the weight down too. They'll eventually get balanced. I'm using the Ferrea valvetrain, got everything but the valves for that. Also have the Colt N/A street grind I'll go with for now.

94 Octane isn't a problem. Gotta love Sonoco!
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
kast2L

Post by kast2L »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Ya, I'm planing a rebuild with the 11.5/.040 pistons as well, haven't ordered them yet tho... I've got the Millenia S rods, should be more than strong enough for N/A, help keep the weight down too. They'll eventually get balanced. I'm using the Ferrea valvetrain, got everything but the valves for that. Also have the Colt N/A street grind I'll go with for now.

94 Octane isn't a problem. Gotta love Sonoco!
See I'm just not sold on the millenia S rods and arent they aluminum? im sure they arent better quality than the Pauter but If they really good then i'll pass on the pauter and get the millenias. Especially for high compression because from what i hear all they can take is like 5-7 psi.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Of course theyre not better than Pauter, but they're a low cost alternative. Theyre a different size than regular KL rods, so make sure they'll mate w/ whatever pistons you go with.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”