ZE Starting/Running Problem => Now with 100% More Solution!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Nallboy
Supporting Member

ZE Starting/Running Problem => Now with 100% More Solution!

Post by Nallboy »

I've been driving my GS again since around March (had minor bodywork fixed), but lately I've had some problems. The car seems to start only when she feels like starting, often leaving me stranded. The engine turns over fine, but never catches. I'll get a ride home, call a tow truck the next day, and show up expecting to tow... then she'll start right up. Also, under hard acceleration, I get a sort of bogging down, but only at full throttle & only in the powerband.

I've got about 150K on the car with about 20K since the swap. I'd been running the stock disty with bad resistance #'s & cam sensor, so I replaced the disty, and saw minor improvements. I've got great spark. Intake's got no problems. Fuel system?
That's where I'm at. I plan on ripping the engine out and going through it thoroughly over Christmas (I've got a valve ticking :x), but until then I've got to get moving again. My thought is that the fuel pump's losing pressure - it's stock... so is the Walbro GSS250 still a recommended replacement? Is there any reason to look into "high pressure" fuel pumps?
Last edited by Nallboy on April 5th, 2009, 2:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
rece

Re: Been a while... Help??

Post by rece »

try replacing your fuel filter. it may be clogged causing this issue.
Jesse<BR>red 92 gs
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Re: Been a while... Help??

Post by Nallboy »

I replaced the fuel filter a little over a year ago...
The pump's still stock making it one of the few parts I've yet to replace. I'm about to call around for best prices on a pump, so I can get it done before the weekend. Any thoughts on whether the relay could be my actual problem?
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Been a while... Fuel pump problem?

Post by Daninski »

Put a gauge in the line and check out the pressure. Haven't heard of the stock pump being an issue as far as pressure goes.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Been a while... Fuel pump problem?

Post by Ryan »

Sounds like the disty to me. Occassional start, most often success when cold.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Re: Been a while... Fuel pump problem? (UPDATE)

Post by Nallboy »

Updating.
Hopefully some info will be found useful.

I replaced the fuel pump - went with Walbro, tried two new distributors, replaced the crank sensor, and no results. I planned on ripping the engine back out to fix a valve tick and a tranny leak anyways, so I did just that.
Verdict: my timing belt tensioner had worn out/loosened up/whateverit'sjustdead.
Easy fix, so I'll just be cleaning and piecing everything back together once my heads get back.
Main Question: Is there any reason I can't attribute my problem to this tensioner?
Also: Anyone know a secret/special/cheap way to get a hold on a new/clean timing belt cover? Gonna call Mazda and Ford tomorrow.
Extra: Any tips on sourcing an Mx-6 5th gear? I recall (from a few years back) that it had a better ratio and was interchangeable...

Thanks!
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

A good scrap yard is worth checking out. Won't find anything clean, though. Maybe new.

Not sure why a simple tensioner would cause your reliabilty issues. One would think as soon as the tensioner slips, the timing jumps, and you'd have more clear issues.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

That's my thought - slippage caused my first problems: stuttering in the powerband, occasional trouble starting. These progressed to almost never starting. The thing was pretty much just for show.
Guess we'll see when I get it back together.

I'm kinda excited... I haven't been to a yard for my Mx in years!
Nallboy
Supporting Member

ZE Starting/Running Problem (Now with 100% More Solution!)

Post by Nallboy »

Well, to start off...

:D WOOHOO!!!

Yes, yes, she's running great now - better than ever actually.
I gave up/didn't put a whole lot of effort into the transmission 5th gear swap idea.
...but rebuilding the heads completely rid me of that annoying valve tick.
After a few minor issues (vacuum lines dislodging, bare solenoid wire grounding out my fuel injection, etc), she purrs quietly at 750 rpm and revs like a streetbike.

Nitty Gritty.
My starting/running problem was because of that stupid timing belt tensioner. Replacing it allowed me to actually set the timing correctly where it once was impossible (always seemed slightly retarded).
Hopefully someone'll find this useful.
I'm just stoked to be back on the road :love:
Evo_Spec

Re: ZE Starting/Running Problem => Now with 100% More Solution!

Post by Evo_Spec »

glad to hear everything's good, now go out and up our mx-3 rep by beating those hondas =P

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”