Valve Spring & Retainer Swap Questions

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
tehbrookzorz

Valve Spring & Retainer Swap Questions

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Hey guys,

I just got a call from the machine shop asking if I was 100% sure I wanted to go ahead with swapping the intake springs from my DE to ZE heads. The spring diameter is smaller so he feels that the spring will not seat in the head as intended and may cause problems. He suggested checking for some form of shim to ensure the springs seat okay. What kind of input do those who have done this have?
Cody
wytbishop

Re: Valve Spring & Retainer Swap Questions

Post by wytbishop »

Check with the Probetalk guys. They are the ones that do this alot.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

I'm running interprep springs, DE retainers and locks. They are all the exhaust head size just like your scenario now. I've been running them for about 4/5 months with zero problems. I used the stock shims. The springs can't really help but center themselves so it's not much of an issue. It felt kinda wrong when I was doing it, but Alistair from Interprep assured me this was fine, and so far he's been right :) Just remember to use the ZE HLA :lol: Now that would make crap hit the fan!
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

I just want to clarify. Are you recommending using the intake or exhaust springs from the DE as ZE intake springs?
Cody
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

From what I've read and IIRC the EPC states that DE intake and exhaust springs are the same part#. So whatever would be less fatigued? Intake gets compressed ever so slightly more but exhaust marginally gets hotter? Ahh I don't think there'll be much in it :) I'd prob use the intake ones, it just seems more right, but really doubt it matters. You should have a quick search on PT as Charlie said, they love this kinda talk ;)
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

I posted this simultaneously to posting on Probetalk, and have been searching on there as well... PT is a bit muddled.
Cody
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

You can swap over the complete setup Springs, Retainers and Locks from your DE. I did this swap on my KLZE MX-3. Just use the KLZE HLA's
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”