Paper IM Gaskets

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Paper IM Gaskets

Post by Nallboy »

I'll try not to ramble on here...
So, I bought the phenos from Outlaw Engineering years ago (nice product btw), but I just had my heads rebuilt (woohoo!), meaning I obviously had to remove the IM. Point: now I need a new set of the paper gaskets Outlaw included with the kit (4 of them, of course), and I'm having a hard time finding anything but the OEM metal gaskets. I've emailed Outlaw; also called them last week & left a voicemail. Called a few times today, and apparently their #'s disconnected or something - voicemail's gone. Maybe something went down during my absence from this site...?
Anyways, do I have to make these things myself?
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
onlytrueromeo

Re: Paper IM Gaskets

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Why not just get the metal ones? What's wrong with them?
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Ya, Kp2t tried to get some and he couldnt'. I'll be in that same situation soon too. I think there's a guy that was in TSS that made custom paper gaskets, so I was going to look for him when I needed mine done.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

Gotcha... I got a roll of gasket material today, so I'll be doing a little whittling tonight. I don't expect it to be terribly difficult.
Romeo, the metal ones make a great seal between the block and the IM, but I've got the (more fragile) phenol spacers between the two. Paper gasket with a little sealant is definitely the way to go.
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I just got my outlaw ones in the mail, but looking at them I would think a metal one would work fine? Esp if you are using sealant, you can seal them to the phenol spacer
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

Outlaw got back to me a few hours ago (email seems to be the way to contact them), and they'll send the set of four for $20 even with shipping. Even if those metal ones would work, they cost close to double for both sets.
Guess I'm saving that gasket material for another day...
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

That's cool.
I just put gasket making junk on them in a thin layer (the kind that never hardens).
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

just use metal ones on each side.... there much much better quality than them paper ones and using silicone to me is just plain ghetto... just make sure ur surfaces are clean and u wont have sealing problems
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

We had Sealing problems in Newfoundland :lol:

Ok the spacers I see are sold in a kit. Can I or should I just ask for the spacers and nothing else.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I agree; Don't use silicone (not that you were, but for anyone else)! We had to pry Mooneggs' IM off because it was siliconed on, and were worried we'd damage it, since we had to pry it so hard.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”