V6 Swap Questions

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
RX8SE3P

Re: V6 Swap Questions

Post by RX8SE3P »

mx3boyze wrote:If his MX6 is an auto and he swapping to the 5spd tranny, the MX6 ECU wont work. You'll need one from a manual KL MX6.
Wrong, it uses a separate ECU for Auto. You can still use the normal ECU from the auto, it won't care about manual or auto.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
mx3boyze wrote:If his MX6 is an auto and he swapping to the 5spd tranny, the MX6 ECU wont work. You'll need one from a manual KL MX6.
The ECU doesn't care...i believe they also use a seperate ECU for the auto trans.
+1. that's true.. case in point being KL31/KL36 interchangeability
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

it would be awesome if we could swap the K8 with this engine ...
K8 :: 136.8 bhp---160 nm---108.0 whp---118lbs/torque
ET: 15.567 @ 136 kmh (84 mph)
"Racing a Honda is like being in the special Olympics, you may win, but in the end your still retarded."
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

OutlaW wrote:it would be awesome if we could swap the K8 with this engine ...
http://images01.olx.pt/ui/2/47/70/18014770_4.jpg
Don't give him any ideas on stuff that most people aren't willing to attempt because of the work and cost involved...

They only made 170hp and 165tq, with the SVT version making 195hp and eventually 200hp and 165tq, so pretty much on par with a ZE, but probably at 3-4x the cost.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

Ahh... Contour SVT... A good friend had one. Great torque lines on a dyno - pretty much horizontal.
After I got the ZE running, he had no chance; numbers were too similar, and he was too heavy.
While we're at it, we might as well swap the 3.0 SHO.
But yeah, what he said.
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Here's a question for the experienced ZE swapper. Do I need any special tools to do any of the work on the engine or to complete the installation? I'm thinking of things like a puller for the crank pulley. Anything unusual that I might not have in my box or I might have to make a trip for.

Thanks.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
colinf004

Post by colinf004 »

Torque wrench and a good socket/wrench ratchet set, and some patients along the way :welder: some LOVE TOO!! :love2:
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

You might be able to rent a puller at autozone. I was able to do it w/ a nice big screwdriver and a rubber mallet. Heat it up a little if it's really stuck on there.

I did most everything w/ basic tools like sockets and whatnot. Make sure you have extensions - theyre a life saver.

Hardest parts for me were getting the exhaust downpipe bolts on - they're extremely difficult. And the Rear engine mount is a PITA to get off...the bolt is facing the wrong way so it makes getting the nut off very difficult. This is made MUCH easier by dropping the cross member and taking the mount out completely. If you do this, make sure the engine is being supported somewhat by the hoist, and be careful when removing the engine because the mount will stick out somewhat further and could hit the firewall and wiper cowl when coming out. It makes it ALOT easier to do though, in my eyes at least.

Get a torque wrench!

Air tools are very nice as some of the bolts can be stuck on there, and your arms will get tired quickly!

Get some PB blaster and spray everything a day before, then spray it again before you work.

Beer?
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Well I have a pretty complete set of tools, I'm just wondering if there's anything funky that you might call special. From the sounds of things I'll be ok.

I booked the time off today and confirmed the delivery date of my straight necked little friend. March 13th...it is soooo on.

The Purple Beast is about to become the Purple Monster!
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

You'll need a big socket for the wheel nuts and they can be a bugger. I used a 5ft bar and my buddy who weights around 280lbs before the damn passenger side nut would budge. If you can get a pneumatic chizel it really helps getting the shifter linkage bolts out, some people have had to dremel them off. Order new shifter bolts and plastic bushings. Replace the fuel filter it's way easy with the engine out and any hoses including the heater hoses (watch out for the plastic swivels don't break them). Take pictures of your engine before you pull it so you can easily route things after and take pics of the engine on the ground so you can figure out the vac lines as they can be a bit confusing. Then make the ZE look like your K8 install and enjoy Dude. Oh ya. Replace the valve and intake gaskets. its easier on the ground than in the car, use auto silicone on all the corners and torque everything. Fill your mounts with Durathne 94 if you can find it, it's the best IMO and only fill them 2/3 or your dash will vibrate like mine. lol.

Edit: If you can get an impact gun and compressor. I personally wouldn't do the job without those tools
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

+1 To axle hub nuts being a HUGE PITA. I grinded mine off because I couldnt get it off any other way. Before you pull the engine out, while the car STILL HAS POWER BRAKES try to loosen them! I didn't and paid the price!
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I've had the axles off this car in the last year already, but I don't plan to remove them from the hubs anyway. I do fear the broken header bolt though. I've had many of those. I would like new shifter bushings. I think I will cut some this weekend. I've done many engine swaps in my day, though never this one, so I'm not too worried about the organizational issues. As for filling my engine mounts...I splurged.

BAAAA-CHINGGGGG!!!!

35% stiffer than stock. Not super stiff...but nice and toight.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

^Nice. I was gunna go w/ those but I went w/ the poly ones.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

or you can Polyfill the MazdaSpeed ones ;)
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I want tight...not hard. I'm shooting for a car that's sharp but still comfortable to drive.
My Worklog
My feedback thread

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”