kl turbo CLUTCH tread

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
hgallegos915

kl turbo CLUTCH tread

Post by hgallegos915 »

Ok guys... I searched and got no specific answer....

how much clutch is to much clutch and to weak of a clutch?

So far the clutch masters fx300 and a fidanza flywheel = fail on a lightly boosted ze at 5 psi.

Act = fail.. was slipping under boost.

Now the problem may be my fidnaza, I have decided to go to a k8 flywheel

and a good clutch.

I was eyeballing a stage 4 spec clutch. I was looking at the stage 3, but the stage 4 is only aeound 14 dllrs more.

What are your guy's info? what GOOD clutch should a boosted kl car run?

and why am I the only one having these issues.. is anyone else having these problems with their cars?

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Re: kl turbo CLUTCH tread

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

ACT all day. Go get the 6 puck sprung/unsprung (doesnt really matter), Xtreme PP, and keep the stock flywheel. I run this setup in my FD and I'm making 364whp and the clutch has been nothing but great. I Auto-X the car regularly and have dragged it occasionally hitting 11.8 in the ¼ and still not a hiccup.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I was looking at that set up, I dont get it tho, the kit costs $424

but when you pick the pressureplate alone (HD) and the 6 puck disk.. its cheaper.. what gives?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

If you buy the kit it probably comes with a throw out bearing, pilot bearing and alignment tool.
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I ordered a spec stage 3 clutch, 300 dllrs. shipped. well 309. not bad..
-hec

2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

hgallegos915 wrote:I ordered a spec stage 3 clutch, 300 dllrs. shipped. well 309. not bad..
Bad move, you should've spent the extra $100. I can see you looking for a new clutch again soon. Guess you didnt learn the first time you bought a clutch for this setup. :shrug:
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
johnmx3ze

Post by johnmx3ze »

hey hec still no more clutch lol youll have to take out all the turbo and pipes and all that s--- to put in your clutch but i hope it holds... you should of spent a lil more so you wont have to do it again... i have a bully performance clutch stage 3 and i never had a problem holds very good... it never slipped... and i paid 515$...
mx-3, KL turbo (tooo much to list) yeah its boosted!
worklog====> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cardomain==> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3869504/1 ... awks-on-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

hgallegos915 wrote:I ordered a spec stage 3 clutch, 300 dllrs. shipped. well 309. not bad..
i was going to say spec stage 2 plus. it is supposedly stage 3 tough but stage 2 driveable.

spec stage 3 clutch sounds good, i have a spec stage 2.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I'd rather get a stage3 over a stage 2R. The kevlar has some issues, I did alot of reading on probetalk when I picked my stage 1.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Illa Killa wrote:
Bad move, you should've spent the extra $100. I can see you looking for a new clutch again soon. Guess you didnt learn the first time you bought a clutch for this setup. :shrug:
But why tho? its rated at 350ish torque, Im sure my mx3 will never hit the over 300 torque mark. They had the stage 4 for 14 dllrs more but well, I went by the rating i guess.
-hec

onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I'm sure it'l be fine. I've heard good review from them. I know ACT can take some serious beatings though too!

Just remember to break it in for a good long time before you take it to the drags!
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

That's the same clutch I have - stageIII spec with 6 puck disc. I am only NA ZE though for now, just planning ahead. It's my daily driver, and has been good so far, though it does squeal a little as if it was springless when taking off slowly in first. From what I've read it's not as brutal on our weak trannys too :)
onlytrueromeo wrote:I'd rather get a stage3 over a stage 2R. The kevlar has some issues, I did alot of reading on probetalk when I picked my stage 1.
That's exactly why I ended up with stageIII! Seems some over there love spec, yet some have had nothing but bother.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

If I remember right stage III is sprung hub, and stage IV is solid?? If so go for stage III if this is anything close to a street car. Solid hubs = no fun at all on the street...
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

I have to say ACT clutches are at the bottom of my list, And i have tried almost all the clutches made for KL-motors.

My most favorite clutch was a Stage 4 Clutchmaster (4-puck)- Stock pressure plate feel, and smooth engagement, but awesome grip when needed. Ran a 75-shot KLZE on 26" slick outta the hole at the track and the clutch never slipped. I ran my MX-3 in the streets for several years with this clutch and my car on a 100-shot. Held awesome and never slipped once.

Second favorite would have to be the SPEC stage 3 (6-puck)- Same stock pressure plate feel, and smooth engagement. Held nicely under a 100-shot on my MX-6 with a KL-DE.

I've also tried these clutches:
Clutchmasters Stage 2R - Very nice, ran a KLZE on a 75-shot...never slipped
ACT Stage 3 6-Puck - Ridiculously heavy pressure plate, and clutch chatter galore
Clutchmasters Stage 3 - Awesome clutch, but could not handle back to back runs beatin on it.
Fidanza Stage 3 6-puck - Pressure plate is heavier than stock but lighter than ACT, smooth engagement, and held a 170 WHP MX-3. Never pushed it with more power.

Those are the clutches i can remember off the top of my head.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

well Ill be... 500 miles later and this pos STILL slips.. WTH :/

bleh.. maybe fidanza and boost dont go together
?

Im done trying to fix that lol :/
-hec

Return to “Forced Induction”