Stupid Transmission

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
NickgoesPYAH

Stupid Transmission

Post by NickgoesPYAH »

I have a 92' Mx-3 I just bought, runs ok but the transmissio is totally bugging and Im confused on what to do. 1st 2nd 4th are flawless right now except when i gas it too much it tend to just let me rev and not go anywhere. But the real problem i have is my car wont shift into reverse at all! and 3rd and 5th gear constantly slip into neutral. AhHH whats wrong with her :crying:
95Mx3GS

Re: Stupid Transmission

Post by 95Mx3GS »

Unfortunately it sounds like the clutch is wearing out. A lot of the things you stated are signs that your clutch is almost done and you should plan to get a new one soon. I'm not really sure about the reverse problem though, it's probably the clutch as well. Not too sure though. But you should definitely get your clutch checked out.
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Mine would barely shifter into reverse when my shifter bushings were screwed, it took me at least 4 tries to get it, and I really had to jam it in. Your problems are probably a bad clutch and worn out shifter bushings.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Bad clutch can cause tranny to slip out of gear? I did not know that.

If your car is 94 or older, reverse is normally hard to get into. Let out the clutch and put it in again, and try again. The gears are not synchonized, so you need to manually do it. Also, you can let out the clutch just enough so that it clicks in, but not so much it skips over and grinds... and do it quick so you don't burn your clutch...
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

I didn't notice that part, well I guess some sychros are screwed too.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride

Return to “Transmissions”