Stalling - Lightweight flywheel problem?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
RX8SE3P

Re: Stalling - Lightweight flywheel problem?

Post by RX8SE3P »

I have zero problems driving it, but in reverse you don't want to be stepping on the gas all the time, I like how the MX6 just goes smoothly. Idle is 650RPMS (stock standard).

What's clutch chatter btw? I do have a HD clutch... maybe it's that?
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Having a aftermarket race clutch will have a affect on what your talking about and make the engagement very "jumpy" or rough.

**Copied off a website**
Clutch Chatter is A high coefficient of friction, bad motor mounts, an incorrectly machined flywheel or faulty pressure plate, spring-centered race disc (aggravates chatter), and contamination (oil, grease, or rust).

Chatter is basically the engine winding up in the mounts as the clutch is engaging and then bouncing off the mounts, disengaging the clutch for a brief moment before engaging again and winding up again. No matter how aggressive a clutch is that would normally chatter severely on a normal street car, it generally won't chatter at all on a car with solid mounts and a rigid disc because there is no wind-up effect.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

I actually read that quoted part somewhere after you had mentioned chatter. The descriptions seem to be exactly what I am getting. I don't have solid mounts, they are just stock. I can feel the engine shake too when it does this.

I'm pretty sure we got everything right with the clutch installation and we used lots of new parts (throwout bearings, machined the flywheel, etc).

I wonder if I should fill the mounts and see how it goes? Is it hard to get the mounts off while the engine is in?
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Have you broken the clutch in yet?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Yeah like the description says it could be something like a greasy fingerprint that you accidentally put on the clutch disk or flywheel when installing it.

I would look into the motor mounts ASAP, the front motor mount is a breeze with the motor in the car. The rear is gonna be the pain in the a--, depending on the direction the through bolt is pointing. LOL but still doable.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

It's broken in, over 1500 kms on it now.

Hmm mounts seem like the first thing I should try.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”