Weird problem/sound when switching to 2nd, other gears fine

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
95Mx3GS

Weird problem/sound when switching to 2nd, other gears fine

Post by 95Mx3GS »

Hey guys, this is my first post and I am a proud owner of a blaze red, recently painted, 95 mx3 gs. Ive been lurking this forum for quite a while but have had some questions arise and figured this is the time to join.

My question is, lots of times when I am switching to 2nd gear from 1st, unless I give the tranny like 10 seconds between 1st and 2nd (which is really annoying) it makes a very light cranking/grinding (wouldnt even call it grinding, not even that bad) sound. This usually happens when the car has not been fully warmed up, but even happens when its been driving for a good hour. Therefore, I cannot find many patterns to this. It does not sound too bad, but it still bothers me. *The only pattern I can find is most of the time it happens, the RPM's are only at 3000 (I usually switch at 3500, I don't know where i should be switching gears, but this feels best)

Another problem is that when I start in my car in the cold weather, or when it has not been running for a while, the loud engine metally sound (trr trr trr , sorry cant find any other way to describe this) you hear during the seconds of ignition are still there for about 5 minutes, or until the car is warmed up a little.

Neither of these things bother me too much but I would like to know if I should be concerned, or even what these sounds mean.

Thanks a lot in advance, and if anyone has any questions about rough estimates on dents/scratches and paintjobs, I will gladly help out to my best ability, as I had to go through a lot of that stuff in the past little while, and would gladly share my knowledge. I'm not at all a professional at this, but have had some experience with this.

Thanks guys
RS_OBD'oh_2

Re: Weird problem/sound when switching to 2nd, other gears fine

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

your synchros are probably toast. Common. Can be very costly.
hgallegos915

Re: Weird problem/sound when switching to 2nd, other gears fine

Post by hgallegos915 »

Try bleeding the cluth and adjusting the clutch pedal.

Our transmisions allow you to flat gears and it will grind when you are floating someimes and you think you are shifting.

Check fluid on it.

If all i well, then yeah its the syncros going.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “Transmissions”