Timing and ZE also blowing smoke

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
RX8SE3P

Timing and ZE also blowing smoke

Post by RX8SE3P »

So my ZE is blowing smoke much to my horror. I didn't really realize until a couple weeks ago. It hasn't stopped doing it either. When I take off it does it most. It's white. I have lost no coolant and I don't think I have lost much oil but might have lost a bit. Not entirely sure. You'd think it would go through oil quick when you see how much it blows out on take off. It's embarrassing. There's no smoke during idle, and hardly any even if you rev the crap out of it in idle. I have not cat btw.

Not sure what to do here. Also my timing might be out of whack with the distributor. I got myself a new timing gun and hooked it up, ran car in DIAG mode. No matter what way I turn the disty, it makes no difference it seems. I think the timing might be either dead on 10 degrees or retarded like 5 degrees before the TDC mark. The little dot is hard to see, I can't tell which is which, one is obviously the right one and one is just rubbish that has illuminated somewhat. The brighter one seems to be retarded before TDC.

My disty is pretty crap. I might replace it. But I do have a new rotor and cap I can put on so I might do that first to see if it helps at all.

Could having the timing too retarded be a cause for lack of power in my ZE and possibly the smoke? (god I hope I can stop it from smoking). Last thing I want to do is have to rip out the engine and then get into an argument with the jap importers about it. I guess I should try a compression test to see if the rings are screwed.

Ideas on the whole matter?
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
SuperK
Supporting Member

Re: Timing and ZE also blowing smoke

Post by SuperK »

If your disty is crap then it might be just unburnt fuel. It'd also explain why your power sucks, too.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

It does smell quite rich. I was told white smoke can't be fuel. I hope it is though.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

It can very be white and gas
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Mine blows lots of white smoke almost all the time, mostly noticable at idle...and I get poor gas mileage. I changed my plugs and rotor, but not my wires yet. I'm pretty positive its caused from running really rich.

I also think I have an air leak LOL, which doesnt help. Too cold to work, and not enough time/money and no garage! Problems will be solved in the summer. Car runs hella rich, but it still runs, and I only drive back and forth to school with it. Mine is chipped too.

Definitely something w/ fuel!
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

I hope it is fuel hehe. I am getting decent economy though. But I do drive at times with hardly any traffic and the need to stop.

I'm gonna try and borrow a friends disty and see how it goes. A power increase and no more white smoke would be a dream come true lol.
SuperK wrote:It can very be white and gas
Let's hope so. I'm pretty sure this disty is crap because it takes forever to start up (3-4 seconds of crank). did that on the K8 engine too.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

compression test time.

altough i have a ze with 180 compression and it doesnt smoke
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Just to update, I topped up my oil so it reads full on the dip stick. Now I am going to wait and see if it goes down.

I noticed today when I floored it in second, and pretty much stayed in 2nd gear up to about 80kmph and then let the car slow itself down, when I came almost to a complete stop smoke pissed out of the exhaust.

If it consumes oil, I am going to have to return the engine. Sucks that I may have to remove the engine! I better not get screwed over by the import place. If I do, it's gonna be simple, spread the (bad) word about them. But I give benefit of the doubt and we shall see what happens if I go down that path.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”