what happened to marks car silktrain

A forum for MX-West Car Club Related Topics. MX-West has two Chapters;, the original is in Vancouver, British Columbia, and the second is in Calgary, Alberta.
Dali
Supporting Member
antispam: No

what happened to marks car silktrain

Post by Dali »

just like i said above.....what happened.
Last edited by Dali on December 27th, 2008, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1993 White gs klze.
Silktrain

Re: what happened tp marks car silktrain

Post by Silktrain »

So it with a heavy heart I have to report the death of my beloved Silktrain. It goes something like this:

Spent Christmas night at my parents place for dinner. My girlfriend and I left about 10:30pm. Got to her place about 10:45, plugged my car in in the back of her apartment in her designated spot, and went in. About 20 minutes later, there was a knock on the door and a guy there asking if my car was in the last spot. It was on fire. Went right out to see the Fire Department hosing her down. They had pried open the hood, and she was steaming and smoking like mad. By the time they were done and I had talked to the Fire Investigator, she was a mess. I'll post pics when I can, but right now taking pictures of a soot covered black car at night is kind of counter-productive. From what I can see, it cooked the paint on the (now pried open) hood, the front fenders, melted the bumper cover and everything inside the engine compartment other than the block, both front tires are roasted, the windshield is spider-webbed, the interior dash is melted and a mess. Then there's the smell. Slightly noxious. Rubber and plastic and assorted car chemicals do not make a pretty bouquet. This is what my christmas presents that were in the car now smell like.

As for a cause, I'm guessing the block heater, but I had used it earlier in the week. The car gave no sign of any problems while driving it earlier, but it may have been some other electrical problem, a short in the cord I plugged into... so many possibilities, and the Fire Investigator said the insurance company may not even bother trying to figure it out on a 13 year old car. Haven't talked to my insurance yet, due to the holidays, but I'll keep you all up to date as I find stuff out.
Mark Klassen
Burnt Black '96 GS - RIP
MX-West
Dali
Supporting Member

Re: what happened to marks car silktrain

Post by Dali »

that really sucks man, at least no one was hurt. if you need help finding another one just let me know, we even have 2 blue 93gs's in the yard right now :) good luck man.
1993 White gs klze.
Darcy

Post by Darcy »

Oh Mark, that is terrible! I am so sorry that this has happened to you at this time of year. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I am not driving my MX3 right now, and it does have winter tires so if you're in a bind I can hook you up.
no brain no pain

Post by no brain no pain »

Oh my god! I am so so sorry to hear that Mark!! I realy hope your insurance is good to you and that you can get a new one really soon.
wyldside
Supporting Member
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by wyldside »

OMFG! :shock: Are you serious! I'm so sorry to hear that Mark. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know. From the sounds of the damage, it is beyond what I can repair, but if you get a new MX-3, I'm sure we can move a lot of goodies over (like your seats and interior). That really sucks! And on Christmas too! WTF?
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

1992 Seal-Gray MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :mrgreen:
1992 White MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :( Worklog (Parting out)
1993 Blaze Red MX-3 GS - RIP :cry:
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

sorry to hear that, especially during holiday season.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Dali
Supporting Member

Post by Dali »

well i do have a blue 93gs that is just waiting for you to drop a ze into it :)
1993 White gs klze.
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

And another bites the dust....

I am really sorry to hear that man. At least you are all good, physically anyways.
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

if its anything like my block heater its located behind the rear header and the cord almost touches off it. I had to wrap mine in heat tape and secure it with zip ties to keep it off the header and prevent my cord from being kinked. Piss poor place to put one if you ask me. Anyhow might of melted the wiring with heat from the header and it just happened to touch off the header hence sparkage and smoke.
Dali
Supporting Member

Post by Dali »

any luck yet mark. need help finding another mx-3........not a mitsu or anything else i hope:)
1993 White gs klze.
wyldside
Supporting Member

Post by wyldside »

What's the latest news Mark? I heard rumor that your insurance will cover it, but the car is completely written off. Do you plan to get another MX-3 & buy back your old one to move over some goodies (if they still smell okay)?
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

1992 Seal-Gray MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :mrgreen:
1992 White MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :( Worklog (Parting out)
1993 Blaze Red MX-3 GS - RIP :cry:
Darcy

Post by Darcy »

And more importantly, will those seats fit in an '08 Lancer? :)

Sorry, I had to. Hope you're getting around in a semi-fashionable car.

Return to “MX-West Car Club (Vancouver, BC / Calgary, AB)”