reverse lights come on with running lights...

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
trafik1588

reverse lights come on with running lights...

Post by trafik1588 »

ok, here's the problem, i have a 92 mx-3 gs 5spd. i just got the car for $500 dollars so i was expecting some issues. i've pretty much fixed everything (water pump, timing belt, wheel bearing, sunroof, etc...)except for this problem. whenever i turn on my lights, the reverse lights come on too. could this be a short? or could it be a faulty reverse light switch? how can i test this? i keep finding articles with ppl who's lights wont come on, and they're no help to me. if anyone can help, i'll very much appreciate it. thanks

oh yeah, i have two bumper lights out on the right side cuz it was in a small fender bender, but i see no cut wires or anything.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: reverse lights come on with running lights...

Post by Ryan »

Wow. I have no idea where to start.

The reverse switch is found beneath the gearbox, maybe take a peek at that. The tails are easy to take off, see whats going on back there. Maybe someone mixed up the bulbs? Do your running lights come on as well?

I do not know where the headlight relay is. I do not know where the reverse light relay is. Shameem is our wiring genius.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
trafik1588

Post by trafik1588 »

ok, well ima start at the reverse switch. i looked at the lights already and see no prob. ill stay posted. thanx
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

the reverse sensor is located bottom of the trans has 2 wires connected to it. It unplugs and unscrews from the transmission. Use a multimeter first on continuity test once unplugged. With the trans in N you should not have any continuity between the 2 contacts and in R you should have continuity. To see if its shorted to a power source unplug the switch and see if the reverse lights still come on with your running lights. That way you have eliminated the b/u switch as the source of the problem. It can also be a faulty ground, it can try to ground itself back trough the reverse circuit. Are they illuminated dimly or brightly with the running lights?
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by kulluminati777 »

mine are illuminated dimly when the car is on and they are LED bulbs...could that be the problem?
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”