done KLZE swap.. overfueling on initial startup.. rough idle

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
speedmazda

done KLZE swap.. overfueling on initial startup.. rough idle

Post by speedmazda »

just did a klze swap on my 94' GS. its around -10 degrees out now but i definitely have some overfueling problems when it first fires up. the only exhaust on the engine is the two headers and downpipe, but i dont think that would cause it to do what it does.

it will misfire and flood and nothing but black smoke until it starts to warm up. when up to operating temps it runs fine except for a rough idle.

still running the k8 1.8 computer do i need to get my spare chipped out to jap 2.5 klze spec to make it run right?

any ideas?
'94 MX-3 GS. Curve Neck ZE-Powered!! Headers, high flow cat, 2.5 exhaust, custom CAI, stage 2 centerforce clutch, dropzone lowering springs.
Dragyn Vyrus

Re: done KLZE swap.. overfueling on initial startup.. rough idle

Post by Dragyn Vyrus »

yea that chip will do you alot of good, not sure if it will solve all your problems though.
i remember mine was running very rich until i chiped it and the idle was pretty wonky so, yea chip would be a good idea
93 MX-3 ZE-GS - Sold
95 MX-3 RS - Bone stock winter car.
92 JDM turbo MR2 - SSQV, Cusco strut tower bar, ATS intercooler kit, Berk Exhuast, HKS EVC-S
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Jump Ten and Gnd and set your timing. Have you changed the spark plugs yet? Double check all your vac lines and disconnect the negative from the battery, hold the brake pedal down for 15 secs to clear the ECU, connect the battery ground, start the car and let it run for a minimum 15 mins so the ECU can relearn your new engine. Check our Faq or Google "misfiring" to diagnose that problem. Make sure your TPS is properly adjusted. If that took less than 1/2 an hour to do you probably didn't do it right. If you replaced the timing belt lets hope it's not out a couple of teeth. Good luck.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
speedmazda

Post by speedmazda »

first thing i did was change the plugs. she wouldnt even fire up at all with the old plugs in there.

how do i go about adjusting the tps? and how would i know if its adjusted incorrectly?

the chip thats being sold on ebay now for 19.99 converts us spec ecu to jap spec.

is that chip good for my k8 computer and can i still use the JE-50 Sensor?

Dave
'94 MX-3 GS. Curve Neck ZE-Powered!! Headers, high flow cat, 2.5 exhaust, custom CAI, stage 2 centerforce clutch, dropzone lowering springs.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

You should be able to use the JE50. I personally met up the guy who did my chip. At least try to get in contact with someone if possible. If you plan to chip it yourself, you better be good at soldering and whatnot. Also, some ECU are not compatible so you gotta make sure before you go out and purchase or install a chip.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Get your chip fro Ryan on Probe talk alias 'Probinator'. Give him your car specs and he'll ship you one for $45.

TPS Adjust (mechanicl)
Engine off.
Detach TPS connector.

Wire Colour & Purpose
P= +5V reference
Y= TPS position signal to ECU
BR= TPS idle switch
BK/DB= sensor ground

Connect ohmeter to 2 bottom pins (BR and BK/DB) and you should get continuity. If not, loosen 2 TPS retaining bolts and rotate until continuity has just barely been achieved. Semi tighten 2 TPS bolts.
Insert .006" (0.15mm) feeler gauge between the throttle stop screw and throttle lever. This should not break the continuity. If it does break continuity, slightly adjust TPS rotation again to regain the continuity. Insert the gauge in and out a few times to verify.
After confirming continuity with 0.15mm feeler gauge, insert a .020" (.50mm) feeler gauge. This should just barely break continuity but completely. If not re-adjust TPS rotation again. Re-confirm by re-inserting feeler gauge.
In essence, continuity on initial connection to TPS.
Continuity with .15mm gauge inserted.
No continuity with .50mm gauge inserted.
Tighten down TPS retaining bolts.
Re-connect TPS connector.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
speedmazda

Post by speedmazda »

RX8SE3P wrote:You should be able to use the JE50. I personally met up the guy who did my chip. At least try to get in contact with someone if possible. If you plan to chip it yourself, you better be good at soldering and whatnot. Also, some ECU are not compatible so you gotta make sure before you go out and purchase or install a chip.
i ordered the chip from ebay. 19.99 was talking to ryan about getting one done last year way before i did my swap. he asked for the number on the sticker on the ecu i have and when i told him he said it was the one that could be chipped.

i know a guy that owns an electronics repair shop here in town, should be able to de-solder the old one and solder in the new one with no trouble.

any other things i should know about?
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

speedmazda wrote:
RX8SE3P wrote:You should be able to use the JE50. I personally met up the guy who did my chip. At least try to get in contact with someone if possible. If you plan to chip it yourself, you better be good at soldering and whatnot. Also, some ECU are not compatible so you gotta make sure before you go out and purchase or install a chip.
i ordered the chip from ebay. 19.99 was talking to ryan about getting one done last year way before i did my swap. he asked for the number on the sticker on the ecu i have and when i told him he said it was the one that could be chipped.

i know a guy that owns an electronics repair shop here in town, should be able to de-solder the old one and solder in the new one with no trouble.

any other things i should know about?
The guy who did mine used a socket. So the chip then plugs into it. You can then easily remove the chip without having to de-solder etc. This is the best way to do it.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”