comtemplating a new motor, options inside :x

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
nlsolja123

comtemplating a new motor, options inside :x

Post by nlsolja123 »

I have a 1993 mazda mx-3 GS/SE i want to keep it a good reliable but almost factory. I paid 400 $ for it a month ago. so far there is some problems that i cant work out. i can crank the car all day long and it can run from 10-30 minutes then it will die, once it dies it doesnt have spark coming from the distributor.

I put the HEI and external coil mod on it , it has spark going into the dist but not leaving it to the spark plugs.

I think the bearings in the alternator may be starting to go out also.

My options i would like to explore are a motor swap, i have a us klde millenia motor that has been disassembled.(minus a dist)

Also i live near Atlanta and there is a Jdm Engine dealer in the area they have told me there doing away with all there mazda motors aside from the rotarys due to low Number of sales. They have 2 KF-DE's, with kf01 cams. There wanting 250$ for these motors. 90 day warrenty.

would it be best to just buy a kf motor and install it, that way i can have a stock like running mx3 until i can biuild the klde?
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: comtemplating a new motor, options inside :x

Post by fowljesse »

Did you take out the coil, or, at least, the ignitor?
It seems like your engine is fine, and can be fixe easily, once you figure it out, and would last until you build up the DE. I have a DE that was rebuilt to just beyond ZE specs. I highly recommend this, as your valvetrain will be strong.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Just say no to KF's. I have a ZE in my 96 and it's a daily driver. I actually pulled it off the road for the winter. Hadn't started it in over a month. I went out and bang it started right up. Very dependable and lots of b*lls when you need it.
Last edited by Daninski on December 26th, 2008, 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
nlsolja123

Post by nlsolja123 »

thanks for the help, i am very well leaning toward the klde rebuild, ,,,to answer the question i removed the coil from inside the distributor and i undid the 3 wire plug,,,, i left only the 6 spolk wheel and rotor button inside....
se7en

Post by se7en »

I would double check the HEI wiring, and make sure it is heatsinked well, as they over heat pretty fast.(USE DIelectric grease under it too!!)
1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!
nlsolja123

Post by nlsolja123 »

i have went over the wiring a couple times and put 10 gauge wiring because of the heat problem. the bracket is also mounted under the intake kinda in the air
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Well one option is to find a cheap motor with all the accessories. At least then you can swap the disty + alternator to see if they fix your problems. Then do a complete swap when your engine totally goes.

I would personally not go below a KLDE but for $250.... if you got a good KFDE, that's cheap. I'd want one with all the accessories though!
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
nlsolja123

Post by nlsolja123 »

the kfde is 200 now and comes complete with all accessories. im personally thinking it would be an advantage to the
160 k mile k8 motor.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Few people have gotten the KF to work correctly. Upto you if you want to try it, but if you want it reliable, I'd say do with the tried and true KLDE/KLZE
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
nlsolja123

Post by nlsolja123 »

i bought the KF today i got there and they had 2 and they wanted to get rid of them bad, they said they have been there for about 3 years.

I talked them down to 175

I went home and put on my curve neck ze millenia manifold i have been saving. I ported the manifold and throttle body,

If i use the klde injectors and use a Adjustable fuel pressure regulator it can be adjusted in spec right?

what ecu would be best to use 1.8 or a 2.5 i know the vris points will be off but which ecu will run this motor Better when installed?
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

If you were smart, you would use the KF ecu and the KF IM.. I haven't read this thread so IDK what is going on with the motor. But that is the best thing to do. If that doesn't work out use the 2.5 ECU and try to get it chipped to spec if Ryan can do that (probegtze@hotmail.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Good luck....
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

KF eh.

Well IMO, the K8 ECU would be better because the KF is very very similar, slightly longer stroke I think but bore is the same. Heads might even be the same. So really, a K8 ECU would probably be fine. If you use the K8 ECU and VAF, it should run ok. Use the KF intake manifold. Using the wrong one will cause issues, trust me.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
nlsolja123

Post by nlsolja123 »

i would use the kf manifold but it's a straight neck like the klze except it has rounded ports but the manifold has square runners
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

What about using the K8 manifold. Compare them together. I'm pretty sure the KFDE has the same IM as the K8, but the KFZE is straight neck. However, if the ports on the bottom match up, you can use the K8 manifold no problem IMO. As long as the ports match up and are of the same size and shape, it should be fine. You don't want to fit any IM that doesn't match up, otherwise you will have restricted flow or possible air leaks.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”