HELP - Is this car a good deal, or a buyers nightmare???

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
96mx3guy

HELP - Is this car a good deal, or a buyers nightmare???

Post by 96mx3guy »

So I am very interested in buying my furst MX-3, and have been looking around for a few weeks now. I have come across one and I need some help to determine if it would be worth me getting or not:

THE GOOD:

- 115,000 original KMs (so it is super low compared to anything else I have found). Everything else in the Vancouver, BC area is between 200,000 - 300,000 kms.

- Only 2 owners. The first was an old granny that didn't drive it at all. Second is a younger woman who has taken good care of it and maintained it well. She has some documentation. So it has a known past = good piece of mind.

- Brakes are good, tires are at 60%, timing belts and water pump done in last year, regular oil changes

- It has an aftermarket mp3 stereo, aftermarket speakers all around, and an alarm with keyless entry.

THE BAD:

- it was an Ontario car that was driven over to British Columbia after 6 years. I did a pretty thorough look over the car and found some rust bubbling on the body of the car just overtop of the rear wheel wells. it is only on the surface, and is about 1/2 inch wide, and maybe 2 inch long, along the top curvature of the wheel. The odd thing is that the inside of the wheel wells look perfect with no rust. This may be because she said she got it undercoated in Ontario.

HELP???:

She was originally asking $4500 for it, and she has dropped it after some haggling down to $3200. I realize I can't expect perfection out of a $3000 car, but am I getting myself into a lot of trouble buying an ontario car with a little bit of rust starting???

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. :shrug:
Last edited by 96mx3guy on December 16th, 2008, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
colinf004

Re: HELP - Is this car a good deal, or a buyers nightmare???

Post by colinf004 »

besides the rust, did you take it for a test drive? if so how does it sound?? hows the front end ?? brakes, tie-rods, ball joints? and leaks? holes in the exhaust?
is it auto/standard?

do you have pictures?
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

is it GS/RS?
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
96mx3guy

Post by 96mx3guy »

It is a '96 GS, V6, 5-speed, standard.

I did take it for a test drive, but it was downtown, so I really couldn't accelerate of brake quickly or test it out all that well. It drove nicely, no complaints, no odd noises.

I didn't see any leaks, although the engine bay did seem pretty dirty for a car of this milage. It was pretty dark, so I didn't get a chance to check out the suspension/tie rods/etc.

Brakes seemed work work well when I tried them. Might need new rotors soon as they looked a little thin. The strut/shocks did look like they had seen better days, as the boots were broken, and there was some corrosion on the smooth shiny part. I am sure I would have to put new suspension in at some point soon.

I will definitely take a much closer look at everything before doing the final sale.

I also forgot to mention, it has an aftermarket alarm and keyless entry, as well as an MP3 deck and aftermarket speakers all around.

Here are some pics:
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

car looks pretty clean inside/out. Id probably pay her cash and see if she'd come down a few hundred bucks.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
colinf004

Post by colinf004 »

I bought my car for $1100 94 gs standard at 270,000 Kms

I would have to say $3000 cash or no deal
JPv6

Post by JPv6 »

Mine was $1700 plus safety came to about $4200. '93 GS 135K. Had cracked windshield, shot struts in the back, could only start in neutral, some suspension work, etc.
93 GS Laguna Blue. JDM K8 engine.
colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

Tell me... WHY would it be a nightmare if it was from Ontario?? Do we have monsters out here that clip onto cars?? I got mine for $1200 RUSTLESS with a perfect frame and body I am in Toronto....

It sounds like an amazing deal for such low khms. I see 2007 cars roll through here with well over 130khms!

And of course the engine is going to be dirty as hell... it was an old lady and other girl driving it.... they never popped the hood unless it was in a shop, and they wouldnt bother to clean it.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yeah. If that's the only rust, and the only problem, try to get it for less, but it sounds like a good deal for a car in great shape. The rust can be fixed.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Where do you live? where is the car located?

Your car looks alot like mine when I bought it, except the fact that your km's are MUCH lower, but my car has no rust and i am the 2nd owner. Anyways, I ended up paying 2700 for mine with AC and the lot which is not bad in BC for a good shape mx3.

So with cash you should be able to talk them down alot, but I would say no more then 3k because there are so many for sale now and they are going down in value.

Funny that it is a 96 w/o airbags!
se7en

Post by se7en »

one small thing...you mentioned that the brake rotors 'looked' thin......lol that is not something that can be checked by eye.

brake rotors have a spec range of like .1" which is not something that can be visually checked :)
1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!
96mx3guy

Post by 96mx3guy »

Sorry to come down on the Ontario people. Its not the fact that it came from there, but I have had experience myself with a car from central canada, and I know many other people that have had a lot of problems too. It is mainly just all the salt, that totally eats through cars much quicker. So if you were to take the exact same car from BC and compare it to a car from a different province, I am quite sure you would find that it has considerably more rust compared to a car from BC. And I have read a lot about how fast rust can spread and how it just makes everything more difficult as it often causes all the bolts to seize. I have looked at a bunch of MX3s from BC and I haven't seen any with rust on them (although I wasn't looking at the really cheap ones). But still, this car has less than half the kms all the other ones I was looking at have, and it is already starting to rust.

I am just concerned it will spread quickly, and in a few years it will look like crap.
boosted_bullet

Post by boosted_bullet »

bought my rs for $350 with a toasted 1.6 sohc, and some wheel well rust.
all in all im satisfied with what i got...
chicks dig the rice!

-bullet
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

^ x2

I have never seen rust on any mx3's I have looked at or bought here in BC. Especially down in the Vancouver area
96mx3guy

Post by 96mx3guy »

I bought it! And so far so good, I love it. Thanks for the advice.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”