Nitrous ?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
ramsen25

Nitrous ?

Post by ramsen25 »

hey does anyone know wut the law in canada in ontario area is about having nitrous in the car?
Nd4SpdSe

Re: Nitrous ?

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Legal in the car.

Has to be physically disconnected when on public roads.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
ramsen25

Post by ramsen25 »

so its ok if the bottles in my car as long as its disconnected i dont want my car to get impounded lol
colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

They can not impound your car BUT they can call your insurance company on the side of the road and have your Insurance VOID then you will have to get a tow! They will ALWAYS have a way to screw you.... OH and it have to be VISIBLE from the outside of the vehicle (as in if you look into the back window you have to see it)!
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

hey why is that...i was looking into this a bit too thouht maybe it would be my next mod...but the whole visable thing is wierd...and they will call the company if its dissconnected? seems like the only reason would be to f--- you over..
ramsen25

Post by ramsen25 »

wut u mean by they will call the company if disconnected, i dont mind the visible im actually ripping the back out carpeting and putting 2 tanks behind me
colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

When I get home I will write word for word what is in the Police handbook on Modifications that I have. But yes even if it is disconected BY LAW you are allowed to have a 10lbs bottle but NO MORE, they can still screw you by having the "intent" to race... Which I am sure your insurance company would LOVE to know about! All in all if you drive around like a normal adult do the speed limit and keep the bottle either in your spare tire hole or a small 5lbs bottle under the passenger seat they will never see it!
ImageImageImage
s1zzl3

Post by s1zzl3 »

96mx-3 wrote:hey why is that...i was looking into this a bit too thouht maybe it would be my next mod...but the whole visable thing is wierd...and they will call the company if its dissconnected? seems like the only reason would be to f--- you over..
i remember looking into this too
the visibility part has to do wit the fact that ur carrying flamable/explosive substances
u no those big trucks that carry gas they have huge labels on it to tell everyone that theyre carrying flammable substances and that has to be visible for everyone to c
same thing with the nitrous tanks they have the sticker but everyone needs to be able to c that ur carrying it around (they might let u get away wit it if u jus have the sticker outside the car... dont quote me on that tho)
also by law u need to have the tank bolted to the car so it doesnt slide around when ur driving but thats pretty obvious
but one things for sure once ur insurance company finds out ur carrying 10lbs of explosives in ur car theyll jack ur rates up thats a given haha
s1zzl3 & s1 Designs 2009
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2312320
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Qua??
Someone should tell them that Nitrous Oxide isn't flammable :? . If you go to court about it, bring evidence of this. Or, if you get pulled over for it, take it out, open it a little, and blow out a match with it.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

It's not the fact that it's flamible... It's the fact that say it's mounted against you trunk and you get hit like the other MX3 in this section did... the car will be ripped apart by flying shrapnal and rip you into little bits! Think it has around 1000 PSI in it ready to come out as fast as possible!! I have seen pics of what it can do to a car when it gets hit!

This was a car that was in a garage with the bottle heater left on! although no fire... it would kill you in an instant! :?

So there is not 1 person who can say they are safe to have in a car!
ImageImageImage
s1zzl3

Post by s1zzl3 »

my bad..
yeh now that i look closely at the label it has a warning for compressed gas..
which would basically blow up if hit... colinsmx3 is right
all i no is the label has to be visible
s1zzl3 & s1 Designs 2009
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2312320
96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

well i mean..chances of it blowing up ? if its mounted in the spare tire well maybe padded in or something... im sjut trying to figure out if this is a stupid route to go..
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

colinsmx3 wrote:It's not the fact that it's flamible... It's the fact that say it's mounted against you trunk and you get hit like the other MX3 in this section did... the car will be ripped apart by flying shrapnal and rip you into little bits!
Holy Jihad. Now, I understand :shock:
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
IMACHU2

Post by IMACHU2 »

My Mustang has a nitrous kit. There is no legal way to have it in Canada. (I looked into it). To use it in the very large grey area of the law the bottle has to be disconnected on the street and you can't have an automatic bottle opener or be able to reach the line to put it on. If the police man is having a bad day, he could phone your insurance company and you will likely never get car insurance again! If you told your insurance company you had a nitrous kit it would be legal, but no insurance company (in Canada) will insure a car with nitrous. On another interesting note roll cages are not legal in Canada either! My car has both, I find if you don't drive like a total heat bag and you race at the track and not on the street, the Police will look the other way. I will likely put a small kit in the MX-323 too. Only one insurance company (facility) will insure a modified car in Canada and if you read the policy "insurance" is not the best way to describe it. There are so many stipulations that you really don't have a leg to stand on if something bad happens. Nitrous is nothing to be afraid of. If mounted properly with a safety valve and a blow down tube the nitrous would simply vent out of the car if something bad happened. Nitrous needs to be respected though. The bottle heater should have been connected to the key so it turned off when the car was off. (Lazy wiring). Millions of cars go up in flames due to lazy accessory installations. Leave the bottle out accept when you are driving to the track and the likeliness of something bad happening are very minimal. Nitrous is basically a bottle of air, so something has to be on fire and the air has to come out and accelerate the fire. Spend $50.00 on a blow down tube and the nitrous will purge outside the car, if the safety valve triggers. You would need one in an MX-3 to be legit at the track anyway (hatchback).
Dominic Toretto's whip is a MaZda and his cell phone number starts in "(323)"
My work log http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=72471

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”