SLIM FAN WIRING...

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Gods Father

SLIM FAN WIRING...

Post by Gods Father »

does anyone know how to wire a slim fan in? because on the stock radiator fan theres 4 wires going to it but the slim fan only has 2...
1993 MX-3 w/ straight neck KLZE swap...Probe GT 2.5in headers, Custom exhaust w/ test pipe and OBX Twin Loop Tip, Bully Stage 3 Clutch, Fidanza Flywheel, Pheno Spacers, HEI mod, Blaster SS coil, Probinator chip, TWM short shifter, AWR front and rear mounts (88 Durometer), and Corksport braided clutch line...so far

Ever see the lone rider of the night? Well he'll find you and then you'll never him again...
ninjajim4

Re: SLIM FAN WIRING...

Post by ninjajim4 »

never done it before, but if there's only 2 wires then i would presume they are 12v and ground. i would assume the other wires control when the fans come on and off and you would have incorporate them in from your oem fans
Gods Father

Post by Gods Father »

so i figured...but i dont have any idea about how to do that? anyone know?
1993 MX-3 w/ straight neck KLZE swap...Probe GT 2.5in headers, Custom exhaust w/ test pipe and OBX Twin Loop Tip, Bully Stage 3 Clutch, Fidanza Flywheel, Pheno Spacers, HEI mod, Blaster SS coil, Probinator chip, TWM short shifter, AWR front and rear mounts (88 Durometer), and Corksport braided clutch line...so far

Ever see the lone rider of the night? Well he'll find you and then you'll never him again...
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

The stock fan has two speeds - that's why there are 4 wires.

Low speed
Black - Ground
Yellow - 12v

High Speed
Red/Black - Ground
Green - 12v

You will probably have to connect the low speed wires to your new fan....
tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

some people just run the wires to a seperate toggle switch inside the car :shrug:
ImageImageImageImage
Gods Father

Post by Gods Father »

thanks guys...a toggle switch would be pretty cool...low regular driving high speed on race days =] haha thanks again guys

hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

Personally, I hooked my slimline fans into the high speed wires and used the stock wiring controlled by the stock relay. I live in South Florida so it's pretty much hot all the time. I use Megasquirt to control when they come on and off.

I don't recommend a toggle switch unless you by one with the correct amperage. If the switch isn't rated high enough over time it will get hot and eventually fry itself. Just leave them on the stock relays controlled by the ECU, that should work fine.

Now, if you tapped into the wire from the ECU that triggers the relay and not the high current wires for the fan any old radio shack toggle should work fine.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”