Just installed a manual and....

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
Ihatedomestic

Just installed a manual and....

Post by Ihatedomestic »

Just completed the auto to manual swap and...

Are all the V-6 manuals geared that low and close?
I figured that the manaul for V-6 would at least keep the revs down below 3 grand while on the highway....not close to 4 grand @ 120 kph.
What gives? or Did I just happen to get a JDM tranny?

Just wondering, thanks.
onlytrueromeo

Re: Just installed a manual and....

Post by onlytrueromeo »

The K8 manual tranny is geared for quicker acceleration. A MX6 tranny or just 5th gear swap should fix the issue somewhat. Either way, what you have now is WAY better than the auto tranny. Did you upgrade to a ZE or DE too, or do you still have the k8? If you still have the k8 and like driving sporty, I would keep the tranny. If you just care about gas mileage, then you could look into the 5th gear swap.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Yep, 4k at 120km/h is right

It's geared that low mostly because it isn't that powerful of a motor; longer seats add more leverage to the motor, so it actually would have to work harder. Just cause it's reving high doesn't mean it's burning alot of gas. It all comes down to how hard the motor had to work. No one to my knowedge had put an Mx-6/626 manual tranny on a K8.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Ihatedomestic

Post by Ihatedomestic »

Ugh, guess I'll have to live with it. I have no plans on swapping the 5th gear set on this car....it's just a daily/beater.

Strange that the revs in 5th gear are identical in my JDM CRX....well, until I change the CRXs 5th gear and final drive :)
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

It's not as bad as it sounds. It's just unnerving since most people aren't used to revving that high. My ZE could still got just over 30mpg averaging 160km/h.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Ihatedomestic

Post by Ihatedomestic »

Getting pretty much accustomed to the high revs. I actually kind of like going through all the gears when accellerating hard....but I still think it needs a 6th gear :)

Seems no matter how hard I am on the car, or if I take it easy, it gives me a consistant 10L/100km.
Have to see how the mileage holds up when Rallycrossing or on the track next summer.

Return to “Transmissions”