Need Help

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Trivers

Need Help

Post by Trivers »

I just bought a 1993 MX-3 GS, with 1.8 V6, 97,000 miles for $300. It started off not being able to run at all, the intake boot was torn. I taped it up to see and it ran great for two weeks. I just replace it with a new one from the dealer. Ran great but now around 4000 RPM it will cut out then kick back in.

I just need to figure out. I am thinking it might be the VAF sensor. I is too abrupt to be the fuel pump. No codes are coming up. Any ideas?

Thanks
Mad Cow

Re: Need Help

Post by Mad Cow »

Check the VAF and see if the cone moves, mine was stuck and did something similar.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
Trivers

Post by Trivers »

The cone moves freely. Is there a way to test the VAF?
stereoking15

Post by stereoking15 »

check basics of routine maintainence, check plugs, wire condition, cap, rotor all the usual becaue if it was vaf related it would run poorly all the time not just at 4k, check those simple things. might even need to do an hei conversion coil/module starting to go bad, syptoms are cutting out around 3500-4500 rpm and not going much further, backfiring, sluggish, stuttering, hard/no start.
94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

my vaf was stuck and it bucked like you wouldn't believe down the highway...

but, it moved freely, it didn't sound broken, and there was completely no way to tell if it was malfunctioning...
I got a replacement and it worked fine. they're cheap, like 30 bucks.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”