klze

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ramsen25

klze

Post by ramsen25 »

hey everyone my mx3 is od2 and im dropping a klze wut will i need to change to make this happen just the wiring harness and ecu to obd1
solo_ryder

Re: klze

Post by solo_ryder »

Try a search, this has been covered many times.

Yes, you can swap over the harness, but you can also just drop the ZE into the mx3 with OBDII wiring and use the k8 ecu. Do some reading up on it, its been done

p.s.

Are you sure your car is OBDII? How do you know?
ramsen25

Post by ramsen25 »

I used the obd2 scanner at skool
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

So they teach you how to write in skool?

There's is a fair amount of threads about swapping a KLZE into an OBDII Mx-3. It seems to work quite well when you swap on a KL02 VAF, and the OBDII system seems smart enough to compensate. You can swap to an OBDI harness, but depending on where you live, that may not be legal.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Just do it! Your car will run great. Use new O2 sensors. IMO Engine should run in 'closed loop'. Swap over the EGR and dress warmly so you won't get a code. :)
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Mazda_Powered

Post by Mazda_Powered »

i cant find any info on here specifically for the ODBII swap either.

So you can still chip an ODBII ecu? Correct?

All i figure for engine sensors, is swap all the ODBII sensors over to the KLZE so everything fires and runs properly. Then obviously snag an OBDII distributor? Since you cannot use the K8 disti...correct? Any help would be great :)

links work for me too.

JACK.
.::Mazda::speeD::.

working on the 2nd part ;)
ramsen25

Post by ramsen25 »

i talked to a mechanic and all he said was u have to switch the o2 sensors
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Mazda_Powered wrote:i cant find any info on here specifically for the ODBII swap either.

So you can still chip an ODBII ecu? Correct?

All i figure for engine sensors, is swap all the ODBII sensors over to the KLZE so everything fires and runs properly. Then obviously snag an OBDII distributor? Since you cannot use the K8 disti...correct? Any help would be great
Should be plenty of info out there, especially in the last few months.

Not sure if the OBDII system uses a different disty, but it would be a good idea to keep it and the rest of the sensors from the K8
ramsen25 wrote:i talked to a mechanic and all he said was u have to switch the o2 sensors
Which the O2 sensors to what? O2 sensors are actually generic, switching them should literally do nothing. Mind you, it would be a great idea to put new ones in, i'd hightly recommend to if they're the originals on the car.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
ramsen25

Post by ramsen25 »

i just talked to a guy that did the klze on the ob2 and he said take ur stalk mx3 sensors and put them on the klze and he used his stalk wiring harness and ecu which is obd2 and he said it works perfect
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Yep, that's pretty much exactly what we said.

BTW, it's "STOCK" not "STALK"

Oh, and I forgot to mention, you can NOT chip an OBDII ECU. There's no plans by Probinator to make one either.
Mazda_Powered

Post by Mazda_Powered »

unfortunate about the ECU chip. I figure we can get away with using the K8 ecu and just getting an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to help with the different fuel curves between the K8 and the KLZE. I've heard the K8 has the closest VRIS points...at least compared to the 2.5 kl03.

Anyone know if the de-tuned KLZE Millenia ecu's have the same VRIS and fuel curves as the j-spec KLZE though? Just checking out options.

I'm helping Ramsen with the engine swap once all the pieces of the puzzle are there.

Thanks

JACK.

Mazda_Powered

Post by Mazda_Powered »

Figured since this thread is opened, might as well make a *to do list* for you Ramsen.

- Straight neck KLZE
- Curved neck KLZE intake manifold
- Pheonic spacers
- Gaskets kit
- Timing belt kit w/ hydraulic tension
- Water pump
- Lightened 1.8 V6 flywheel
- Clutch kit
- KLZE specific spark plugs
- Front/rear engine mounts or inserts
- Axle seals
- Royal Purple synchromax tranny fluid
- 5w30 Synthetic oil & filter
- Anti-freeze (coolant)
- Distributor cap/rotor

optional for now

- Under drive pulley (more whp, less chance of harmonic balancer failure lol)
- Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
- Ignition wires (klze wires should be fine still if oem)

Thats about it! If anyone has any more parts that i may have over looked, let me know.

JACK.

ramsen25

Post by ramsen25 »

how come i need engine mounts
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

The Millenia ECU has the VRIS points for the curved neck IM, but it's OBDII and uses a MAF instead of a VAF, so it won't work without the Millenia harness. I wonder why nobody's done that, you get to use a MAF instead of the restrictive VAF
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
Mazda_Powered

Post by Mazda_Powered »

none of the k/kl series engines come with a VAF (vain air flow), they all come with a MAF (mass air flow). I'm not to sure what you're refering too.

Also the topic of discussion is a KLZE swap into an odbII equipt mx-3, not odbI. So technically speaking the Millenia ecu should work if you use the corresponding MAF...

JACK.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”