MS 8 Engine....KLZE???

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mikeo

MS 8 Engine....KLZE???

Post by mikeo »

I have the chance of buying a Eunos Presso V6 1.8 manual with a blown headgasket really cheap. Have been looking for KLZE to swap but they all seem to be out of auto MS8's with the sellers giving descriptions as "KL 2.5I 24valve DOHC". It seems that all the 2.5 MS8's are KLZE's with the 2.0 litre KF motor the only other option. So if it's not a 2.0 litre then it must be a ZE?? Is this assumption correct? The Eunos is a manual. Does this pose any extra problems or will a KLZE from an auto car still bolt up to a manual box from the 1.8?
wytbishop

Re: MS 8 Engine....KLZE???

Post by wytbishop »

The KLZE came from the JDM MS8 (which we call an MX-6) and another larger JDM sedan whos name I forget (Cosmo 800?). There was an option for manual MS8 tranny, but they aren't common because of the traffic in Japan nobody wants a standard tranny. There was also an option for a LSD 5sp tranny, but I'm not sure what it was offered in. Regardless, your K8 tranny will bolt up to the KLZE whether it was born with an auto tranny or not.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
mikeo

Post by mikeo »

Thanks...we have MX6's here as well and they are different from the MS8's. Buying online is a bit risky but havent much choice. If the engine is out of an MS8 and is a 2.5 am I rgiht in assuming its a KLZE. From what I can find out the 2.5 MS8 only came out with the KLZE and not the less powerful 2.5 that went into the export market MX6 among others. Cheers
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

just look at the intake manifold, and you'll know which klze there selling.

Mx-6=straight neck klze-190-200hp

Millenia=curved neck klze-170-180hp
mikeo

Post by mikeo »

How much more difficult is the straight neck klze to get into the mx3 than the curved? Is it worth hanging out for one or the other?
These are what are commonly available in NZ

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 028269.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Well that will almost certainly be a KL-31 cam ZE. The intake manifolds are interchangeable. In North America, the Millenia (which you may know as the Xedos 9 or Eunos 800) has the same square ports but with a curved neck which fits more easily in the MX-3 engine compartment. If you can find one you can just change manifolds. This does however introduce the question of the VRIS points. Do a few searches and you'll know what I'm talking about. Basically, different applications open and close the VRIS actuators at different RPM for different engine characteristics and this is controlled by the ECU. To get the ideal VRIS points you need the MS8's ECU (I think??) or you can get a new EPROM chip which (only some) K8 ECU will accept to make them run your ZE like a dream.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

wytbishop wrote:Basically, different applications open and close the VRIS actuators at different RPM for different engine characteristics and this is controlled by the ECU. To get the ideal VRIS points you need the MS8's ECU (I think??) or you can get a new EPROM chip which (only some) K8 ECU will accept to make them run your ZE like a dream.
Ya, the VRIS on and off points are programmed in the ECU and matched to the style of the intake manifold for the ideal power output in. The curved-neck ZE as far as we know uses the came ECU as the Millenia, which uses a MAF rather than the VAF, as well as a different wiring configuration, so it wouldn't work. Actually most K8 ECU's can be chipped, as well as the DE and ZE's (OBDI); it's only the early 92 ECU's that can't.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
dave0r

Post by dave0r »

might be a bit late note
the jap MS8 has the KL-ZE
i pulled mine from one
KL-31 cams etc, flat top pistons, s/q ports etc

hope you got a good one for 120k, i got mine from a 180k car, its currently stripped , awaiting the DaVe0r treatment :twisted:
SOLD 1991 Mazda Astina GT, BPT,161 WkW @ 9psi, & 102wkw N/A built motor with LSD
1996 ST205 Toyota Celica GT4, big brakes, massive power
worked KL-ZE 220whp in the build, possibly for a 323 or MX3/Eunos
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

dave0r wrote:might be a bit late note
the jap MS8 has the KL-ZE
i pulled mine from one
KL-31 cams etc, flat top pistons, s/q ports etc
Can't be, it should have all but except it'll have KL-01 cams instead.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
dave0r

Post by dave0r »

no hes talking about a jap spec car. not your US spec MS8, which would have a KL-DE
person asking the question was from Newzealand and i PULLED my KLZE motor from a MS8 jap spec sedan (as im also from Newzealand)

my cams read KL-31, just like my heads read KL-31-101. its a full KLZE, trust me :)
SOLD 1991 Mazda Astina GT, BPT,161 WkW @ 9psi, & 102wkw N/A built motor with LSD
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Exactly! I don't think I've ever seen a curved-neck ZE with KL-31 cams, unless the IM was swapped at one point...
dave0r

Post by dave0r »

curved neck?
my jap spec MS8 is long neck, it was from a 1995 one

http://www.geocities.com/viv95pgt/klze.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this site is exactly the same as mine ms8/mx6
i got photos if you like :P
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Hmm, I'm not sure if that's correct...that site is very old. I believed the MS8 was always referenced to the curved-neck ZE, but that may be wrong. After searching, that may be some misinformation that's been around for many years...but it's hard to verify that when that motor nor the car's technically exist around here. I think it didn't help since Outlaw Engineering references a kit for a JDM Mx-6, and another kit as the "MS8".
dave0r

Post by dave0r »

i think your missing the point here, "mikeo" asked if it had a KLZE engine.i said yes it does i have one from the same car!

the Jap spec MS8 does exist, maybe not in your half of the world, (its a huge 4 door sedan here and in japan)

its engne is the same as the jap spec MX6 engine has (which is a coupe in my part of the world, same shape as US model)
it has the KL-31 cams, the large and small HLA's the 10:1 pistons, the KL-31-101/1a1 heads and the long neck manifold, cos its Jap spec KLZE

that web page looks correct to me, just because you've never heard or seen or touch this cars motor doesnt mean you can right it off as being some sort of KLDE/ZE hybrid like the others or that its misinformation , because you havent read it yet or seen a web site about it yet
Newzealand IS THE main DUMPING ground for Jap spec cars.

not trying to be argumentative here, but your making me start to.

end story
Jap spec MS8 sedan = KLZE full blown, no hybrid BS.
mikeo

Post by mikeo »

Thanks...that discussion has been very helpful. The 2.5 MS8's in New Zealand all have the long neck IM and KL31-101, 1A1 heads. These cars are 4 door sedans and as I said in my original question quite different from an MX6. The link I put through is an MS8 motor from one of these sedans. I missed out on the Eunos Presso with the blown head gasket so am still looking for one and an engine. I will buy one of these Japanese import MS8 engines soon and sort it it out as it will be a bit gamble and hopefully find a MX3 soon after. I am really keen to have a go at it myself. I used to do all my own work on my cars but that was a long time ago when cars and engines were alot more simple. Just checking out the implications of the long neck IM going into an MX3

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”