B6 intake and VICS

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
RS_OBD'oh_2

B6 intake and VICS

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

So, I was cleaning up an extra IM I picked up off of Mi|<e (thanks again!!!!) and was very suprised when I cracked it open. First off, the egr had made a mess. And second, I was unsure how to treat the VICS system. I've seen it done a couple ways... I've seen miata guys who delete it (471hp 11sec motec miata) and some guys say to weld it shut.

I understand about runner length and tq relationships and the theory behind VICS. But, I'm not too sure which would be better then the other. I also am trying to avoid the CEL. Being a 96' this might be a pipe dream.
So, in regards to the CEL, is there a way to deactivate the VICS and EGR with out throwing a code?

Thank you!
JWMotorsports

Re: B6 intake and VICS

Post by JWMotorsports »

VICS=PITA (Pain in the A$$) tuning when turboed. On a OBD I setup we simply disconnected the diaphram and tyed it open (used S-AFC, Pro-LX ECI, RC-440 injects with Mitsu 16G turbo on NA BP @ 16ish psi). You can tune around it but you DEFINATELY need a wideband, standalone, and datalogging or you shoot lean for a second when the VICS opens, causes the car to stumble for a sec. With a turbo it is almost pointless to fight tuning around it as the gains are minimal. You could remove the VICS butterflies and rod, then use a TIG welder or JB weld to plug the holes. We were going to delete the top half of the BP manifold and make a big plenum for it...then my friend ran out of money and a motor due to a failed oil pump O-ring.

Leave the electrical connections plugged up and just remove the vac. line (besure to plug/cap the vac line). Then tie the VICS open. Try it...if CEL comes on plug it back up and reset the ECU. No biggie.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

Sweet, thanx JW! :bowdown:
I've been reading up on your past projects and am building something similar.
RX 460ccs, AEM F/IC, AEM wideband, AEM tru-boost and a brand new big 16G.

Any thoughts on the EGR?
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Your welcome. 16g will be fun and hard to beat for the money! With the AEM F/I unit let me know how it goes and which one you used....I'm wanting the Accel DFI Thruster EFI and for around $1000 it's about unbeatable untill you go $2000+...DFI Gen 7+, AEM Pro, Motech, and a few others. The Thruster EFI is upgradable to a Pro version if you need more than its basic 40-couple psi and 1 stage of Nitrous.

As for EGR you can make block off plates from sheet metal (steel or aluminum will work, use copper RTV gasket maker or spray to seal em). The only thing you should have to do is leave the electrical connection to the EGR vac solinoid (tie the EGR vac solinoid out of the way some where). You can remove and cap of the vac ports it frees up as you did on the VICS. I did this on our old 96 Eclipse RS which was OBD II and had no issues. I HATE EGR systems cause they muck up the IM and valves! If the idiots programmed the factory ECU better they could clean it up with a 3 way CAT.
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

I need to get my a-- in gear and send you my head so you can finish a custom b series intake!!
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

:wink: yup...how much is shipping to get it here?
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Hey JWMotorsports! The head is on its way to ya!
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S

Return to “Forced Induction”