Possible engine swap

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
d-bledsoe

Possible engine swap

Post by d-bledsoe »

i have a 92 v6 5speed mx-3 and i am currently in the process of taking the engine out to over hall it. The engine has over 260k miles on it and ran good until the timing belt snapped. I fixed it but then after a 1000miles or so the timing belt slipped. because of this i am taking the motor out and was going to rebuild it. However i have been considering doing a engine swap on it because of the high miles. I have been reading up on the process of the swap and it seems pretty straight forward.

I am looking for a possible engine, i know going a ze is a good choice but i recently found a 96 626 that was in a accident and are selling for little money. http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/834620577.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Would this engine make a good candidate or no? being 4 years newer would there be any mounting problems?

I am not looking to sink a lot of money into the car because sometime late next year i will be pulling all the ICE parts out and converting it to electric but until then i want to get it running again and have some fun before going E.

What do you all think.

Thanks for you time
-Derek
solo_ryder

Re: Possible engine swap

Post by solo_ryder »

You COULD make it work but it would take some time and cost abit of extra cash..

The reason is that the engine is OBDII and you car is a OBDI..

However, tapping the extra coolant sensor and swapping some parts over from your K8 (disty, alternator, PS pump) should make it runnable. I am sure other members will add in a point or two here, but that is my 2 cents.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”