Need advice on removing the drive axles

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
d-bledsoe

Need advice on removing the drive axles

Post by d-bledsoe »

Hello guys. I have read through the postings here on MX-3 about removing the drive axles and i am a little confused as what is involved. So far i am at the point were i have gotten the axle bolt off(that was a hell of a job), the brake caliper and rotor are also off. So i have attached a few photos of my current state of the drivers side. I would love some advice on how to get the axle out pointing out specifics in the photos. I am a visual learner which is why i am having a hard time understanding the concept when its just written word. What is confusing me about the whole process is some say unhook this, and that, others say differently. The shop manual i have says unhook the tie rod, remove the ball joint, undo the bolts that hold the hub to the shock tower, other say all you have to do is undo the two bolts that hold the hub assembly to the shock tower? I dont want to have to take off more then i need to so what is the easiest thing to do?

I will NOT be reusing the axles and both will be replaced. Just for the sake of getting the engine out would it be easiest to cut the axles, or should i just try to remove them in whole?

Thank you for your time
Derek
Savin

Re: Need advice on removing the drive axles

Post by Savin »

If the axle is stuck in the hub, get an axle remover.
Its like a hub puller but has a long bolt that goes in it and pushes the axle out from the back of the hub.
$15 from autozone to rent.
You should only have to take off the bolts to the strut tower, but removing the tierod from the spindle assembly will save you alot of hassle.
After getting the one end out, I assume you just pull it out?
That's all I really know. I wish I could help out more...
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Undo your tie rod end. You do this by removing the cotter pin and nut then with a real big hammer or very short sledge hammer smack the tie rod directly on the side. Don't try to hammer it out by banging on the top where the nut was, that'll never work. Hit it hard on the side. I assume you've already removed the axel nut. That nut can be very very difficult to undo so be prepared to have a long bar to go on your wratchet or an impact gun. You can then turn the hub and pull the axel out. To get the axels out of the tranny or intermediate bearing (passengers side) I would advice you get an axle puller. When you go to install, place the axle in the tranny (or intermediate bearing) and give it a short sharp snapping push to reinsert it into the tranny. Good Luck
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
d-bledsoe

Post by d-bledsoe »

OK guys thanks for the tips.
Daninski: I just tried your tip and that loosed the tie rod and now it can pivot around were the bolt was but i still cant get it off. How does the tie rod come off? The bolt were the cotter pin was hasn't moved at all, but the tie rod does pivot like i said. Does the tie rod just lift straight up and will the bolt that held the cotter pen come with it? That tie rod is what is blocking my progress now. The axle nuts came off easy enough, i had to demel them off but i am replacing the axles anyways.

-derek
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

I always use a tie rod puller. It works better than a hammer, and you don't have to worry about it breaking. Once the tie rod is off, you can take the axle off the spindle. I use a rubber mallot to smack it out. And it won't damage the grooves on the end. All I've ever used to pull the axle out of the tranny is a sledge hammer and a pickle fork. Really anything that you can get inbetween the axle housing, tranny and long enough to smach with the sledge hammer.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

getting the axle out of the transmission is just a case of yanking on it hard till it pops out, the same for going back in
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
d-bledsoe

Post by d-bledsoe »

I finally got the axles out last night with the help of my wife. I took the advice from a friend and some of the MX-3 guys here and just removed the 2 bolts holding the hub to the shock tower and that gave enough clearance to push the axle out of the hub... The drivers side was really fairly easy to pull out i was worried because of the c clip problems i have heard of, the passenger side was the bear to get out, the axle was quite stuck on the intermediary shaft, i spent a good 15 minutes wacking on it with a crow bar like the manual says, finally it popped off.

Next step is to prep the wiring harness for engine removal

Thanks everyone
-Derek
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Just to clarify for future reference. You remove the cotter pin, remove the nut, smack the side of the tie rod end and the tie rod end will drop out of the hub (theoretically, lol).
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”