k8 Tranni Problems

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
The1KingBob

k8 Tranni Problems

Post by The1KingBob »

I am now* the proud owner of two mx-3s a 92 rs and gs... i have a slight issue with the GS atm though... i can go from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to third fairly easy ( can has 180k+ ) butttt... when going from 3rd to 2nd... i have to rev match just to get it to go into gear ( with clutch all the way down... this is me just trying to get it into gear coming from third )... im thinking the fool before didn't know how to shift and screwed the pooch for 2nd gear...
Any ideas why it is doing this?
How much yall thinking it will cost to fix?
Worth getting the whole thing rebuilt.. or
Can i just buy a KLZE and mount it to my K8 (http://www.jdmtigerjapanese.com/product ... cts_id=150" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) with little swapping action?

I just replaced the cluth, flywheel, slave cly, and throwout baring and pilot i think as well.
The1KingBob

Re: k8 Tranni Problems

Post by The1KingBob »

anyone :-\
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

The1KingBob wrote:I am now* the proud owner of two mx-3s a 92 rs and gs... i have a slight issue with the GS atm though... i can go from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to third fairly easy ( can has 180k+ ) butttt... when going from 3rd to 2nd... i have to rev match just to get it to go into gear ( with clutch all the way down... this is me just trying to get it into gear coming from third )... im thinking the fool before didn't know how to shift and screwed the pooch for 2nd gear...
Any ideas why it is doing this?
How much yall thinking it will cost to fix?
Worth getting the whole thing rebuilt.. or
Can i just buy a KLZE and mount it to my K8 (http://www.jdmtigerjapanese.com/product ... cts_id=150" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) with little swapping action?

I just replaced the cluth, flywheel, slave cly, and throwout baring and pilot i think as well.

2nd gear syncro is shot. Not easilly fixable. You have to either change the entire shaft (not sure if the 2nd gear syncro is on the input or output shaft) or replace the tranny.

You *can* put a KLZE tranny on a K8, but it wont be matched properly. It uses a taller 4.11:1 ratio that wont be matched well with the stock K8. I don't think anyone has ever tried it, but more likely it'll cause poor performance and may actually decrease the milleage since the motor will have to work harder. It would be best to put that tranny in when you swap to a KL motor.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
The1KingBob

Post by The1KingBob »

Well i am thinking im going to do a BP swap in my RS... and turn this GS into a daily driver... and i think the k8 gets the best gas milage? Either way anyone got a rough range of what it would cost to get a k8 tranni rebuilt? How hard is it to rebuild a tranni myself? Never done it before :-\ not even sure what is needed ahha....

ty for the response :) Nd4SpdSe
kenken

Post by kenken »

maybe b6 or b8 trannies from a 323 can fit? this came across my mind, i'm not sure if this works.
neli_nael

Post by neli_nael »

i have the same problem, it does occassional let me go from 3rd to 2nd but most of the time it wont at all. im just getting a new tranny when i have the funds.
kenken wrote:maybe b6 or b8 trannies from a 323 can fit? this came across my mind, i'm not sure if this works.
wont fit in the gs
94 mx3 rs
92 mx3 gs curved neck klze SOLD
kenken

Post by kenken »

neli_nael wrote:i have the same problem, it does occassional let me go from 3rd to 2nd but most of the time it wont at all. im just getting a new tranny when i have the funds.
kenken wrote:maybe b6 or b8 trannies from a 323 can fit? this came across my mind, i'm not sure if this works.
wont fit in the gs

oh...what tranny fits the gs then? :?
neli_nael

Post by neli_nael »

kenken wrote:oh...what tranny fits the gs then? :?
mx6, 626, probe v6 models
94 mx3 rs
92 mx3 gs curved neck klze SOLD
The1KingBob

Post by The1KingBob »

Anyone got an idea what a 'normal' rebuild tranny off one of those cars cost ( any chance someone knows the actual name for the tranny )
Think i should maybe have it rebuilt?

Return to “Transmissions”