bigger brakes?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
bc93mx3

bigger brakes?

Post by bc93mx3 »

i was looking around on the site for this and i got lazy so go ahead and yell at me for not searching hard enough. anyways, looking to upgrade my brakes. i want to find something that is larger than what is on there stock, are the same offset, and the same bolt pattern. i can fab brackets for the calipers so that isn't a big issue. so i am looking to the forum for its knowledge on the subject, please help.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Re: bigger brakes?

Post by Mnemonic »

jaydogs brakes are sick,

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... &sk=t&sd=a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
bc93mx3

Post by bc93mx3 »

thanks for that is there any other options out there or is this it?
Spiritas

Post by Spiritas »

First of all - hello everyone :)

Now about the brakes - i'm having the same problem, i've been fiddlin around with my stock brakes and it suddenly came to me - they are SMALL. Moreover, the rear calipers are impossible to repair/upgrade/keep in good shape. The shape itself is... well not something very inspiring. These however, willwood, these seem rather decent :) but i believe they're one-off, aren't they? I've been looking for something that would fit my mx-3 on the net, i came over these willwood guys, seems to me like they manufacture on request, therefore i suspect they should be quite expensive?.. how about it? and are there any other options, as bc93mx3 already asked? Akebono? Maybe something from a heavier mazda/probe?
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Putting in a larger rotors increase the weight of the rotational mass, so technically it would hinder acceleration a bit, as well as stopping, but the larger pads/calipers are suppose to compensate/inprove on that for that.

For an upgrade, really, good quality pads and rotors, good (or even stainless) brake lines and proper working calipers can make for an awesome breaking car, IMO. You can even go as far as put in a Millenia (i think it's the Millena) master cylinder. You may look at the brakes on our cars as being small, but you remember too that your cars are small and light.

People would rather spend $1000-$2000 on a big brake kit than a few hundred on the stock system. Of course a big brake kit will work better, cause it's new and updated, and your replacing an old, used & worn system.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
turbulence23

Post by turbulence23 »

here in holland K-sport has a big brake kit available for the mx3.

i guess k-sport USA also has these

http://jeroentje.nl/index.php?page=prod ... d=70100701" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2.5L KLZE engine, CF hood, Postert frontbumper, kmax skirts, custom diffusor..

MY RIDE:
http://www.mazdamx-3.nl/members/member_show.php?id=102
bc93mx3

Post by bc93mx3 »

the reason i want them is not for going faster or reducing weight, i want them so the car will stop quicker and get rid of brake fade. if my car was used just for street driving i would leave well enough alone, but right now i am running the most aggressive front and rear pads i can fid and it is still not enough for the track. thanks for the k sport link by the way.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

you can swap to a 929 master cylinder i believe? it had a larger bore to pump more fluid, get some nice ebc brake pads, slotted and drilled. if not that, you can upgraded to protege5 brakes, spindles, hub etc...

anyone ever play with the mazdaspeed protege parts?
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
bc93mx3

Post by bc93mx3 »

just bought oz ultralegga rims so swapping to 5 lug is out. how sure are you about the 929 master cylinder?
bc93mx3

Post by bc93mx3 »

ok i was talking to my friend yesterday and we got an idea, tell me what you think. i want to find rotors that are the same size diameter as the rx7 (fe i believe 93-?), and the same offset as are cars which is ?. i want to use rx-7 calipers and make brackets to mount them. i think this is quite possible and will be fairly inexpencive compared to other big brake kits out there. so this is what i need from you guys.

what is the offset of our rotors? (i could go measure them but i am lazy)

what is the diameter of the rx7 rotors?

does any one have any idea of rotors that will work?

finally what do you think of this idea?
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I believe this very thing has been done with Millenia dual piston calipers with minimal difficulty. Maybe it was Kia Sephia calipers...I can't remember. Its on here though...somewhere.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

bc93mx3 wrote:ok i was talking to my friend yesterday and we got an idea, tell me what you think. i want to find rotors that are the same size diameter as the rx7 (fe i believe 93-?), and the same offset as are cars which is ?. i want to use rx-7 calipers and make brackets to mount them. i think this is quite possible and will be fairly inexpencive compared to other big brake kits out there. so this is what i need from you guys.

what is the offset of our rotors? (i could go measure them but i am lazy)

what is the diameter of the rx7 rotors?

does any one have any idea of rotors that will work?

finally what do you think of this idea?
Rx-7's use a different bolt pattern than the Mx-3. 3rd gen's were 5 bolt. The second gen's used a 4 bolt but was a 4X114. I have no idea what complications you might have using 3rd gen rotors. Obviously, drilling new holes to fit over the hubs would be the first hurdle. You should probably try and source the parts out from a junk yard cheaply before going any further as well as having a spare Mx-3 knuckle to test fit it all together. That would be my advice to see what it would take to mount them.

My Willwoods with just street pads stop my car with confidence. The benefit was the added surface area of the pistons in the calipers. That increases the brake torque by a good bit. I used 11" rotors because I still wanted to use a 15" wheel when I go to the track. The weight difference between stock calipers/rotors and my Willwood/RacingBrake combo is substantial.
bc93mx3

Post by bc93mx3 »

jaydog5678 wrote: Rx-7's use a different bolt pattern than the Mx-3. 3rd gen's were 5 bolt. The second gen's used a 4 bolt but was a 4X114. I have no idea what complications you might have using 3rd gen rotors. Obviously, drilling new holes to fit over the hubs would be the first hurdle. You should probably try and source the parts out from a junk yard cheaply before going any further as well as having a spare Mx-3 knuckle to test fit it all together. That would be my advice to see what it would take to mount them.

My Willwoods with just street pads stop my car with confidence. The benefit was the added surface area of the pistons in the calipers. That increases the brake torque by a good bit. I used 11" rotors because I still wanted to use a 15" wheel when I go to the track. The weight difference between stock calipers/rotors and my Willwood/RacingBrake combo is substantial.
i want to find rotors that are the same diameter as the rx7's but have the offset of the mx3's with the 4x100 bolt pattern. the only part of the rx7's brake system i want to use are the calipers.

i am not sure but i think the rx7's are 11" rotors is that correct?
if this is correct what rotors are you using.
mx-3_4evr

Post by mx-3_4evr »

I got the RX-7 4 piston calipers if you want them I'll sell it to you for cheap :D
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

Racingbrake rotors for a Miata. They use a 2 piece aluminum hat and super tough iron rotor. I can't remember the offset I used off the top of my head. They are not cheap at $260 a piece.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”