Odd problem, no spark [fixed]

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
WaaX

Odd problem, no spark [fixed]

Post by WaaX »

Hi everyone, I feel bad for making this my first post.. my name's Blair and I bought an mx3 about a month ago. It came with a KLZE installed.

Today I wanted to inspect the spark plugs, so I pull them out, they all seem fine. After I put them all back in and put the wires back on, I started the car and it ran fine.

While it was running I took the PCV valve off, which caused a drop in vacuum pressure and caused the engine to die, I plugged the PCV valve back in. Now here is the fun part, when I went to start it.. it just cranks and cranks, it's got NO sprak.

I have an Avital alarm system, I figured that could be it.. so I unhooked the positive from my battery and let it sit for a while. Tried starting it, nothing. You can smell gasoline coming from the exhaust so it's got gas, just no spark.

I even tried push starting it (it's a manual) and it wouldn't start it either.

Any ideas? =\
Last edited by WaaX on September 18th, 2008, 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
14.985@92.54 MPH

Red 93 MX-3 GS, KLZE, 5 speed, Act clutch, short throw shifter, HEI w/blaster 3 coil, PIAA ultra white headights, CAI, Apexi Dunk muffler w/2.5 inch cat back, Avital alarm, dark tint, Sony Xplode 52x4 head unit, Clarion speakers in the front, Pyramid 6x9's in the back, Volfenhag 2000 watt amp, 3x crappy MTX 10 inchers.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Odd problem, no spark

Post by mitmaks »

Id check for spark at the disty, if it does have spark then push the pedal down (gas) and hold it as you start it, maybe its flooded.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
WaaX

Post by WaaX »

mitmaks wrote:Id check for spark at the disty, if it does have spark then push the pedal down (gas) and hold it as you start it, maybe its flooded.

That's where I checked for the spark, at the disty, I even have a spark tester that you hook the wire up to and ground off, it wont arc even if the contacts are close as hell.

I tried holding the gas down all the way, still nothing..

Even tried starting fluid (not a lot, I know how evil that stuff can be).
14.985@92.54 MPH

Red 93 MX-3 GS, KLZE, 5 speed, Act clutch, short throw shifter, HEI w/blaster 3 coil, PIAA ultra white headights, CAI, Apexi Dunk muffler w/2.5 inch cat back, Avital alarm, dark tint, Sony Xplode 52x4 head unit, Clarion speakers in the front, Pyramid 6x9's in the back, Volfenhag 2000 watt amp, 3x crappy MTX 10 inchers.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

thats where your problem is, you got no spark and without spark it wont start obviously. I guess you better get a new disty...
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
WaaX

Post by WaaX »

mitmaks wrote:thats where your problem is, you got no spark and without spark it wont start obviously. I guess you better get a new disty...

I'm kind of broke >.< The thing is, why would it run perfectly fine untill I unplug the PCV valve.. which caused the engine to shut down.. and then not have spark when I try to start it afterwards.
14.985@92.54 MPH

mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

you could maybe borrow another disty from a friend or somewhere and see if runs with another disty. That way youll know for sure. Distys are weird... they like to die all of a sudden. That's how mine went, I was driving and all of sudden no power.
WaaX

Post by WaaX »

mitmaks wrote:you could maybe borrow another disty from a friend or somewhere and see if runs with another disty. That way youll know for sure. Distys are weird... they like to die all of a sudden. That's how mine went, I was driving and all of sudden no power.
Do you happen to know by chance where the coil is located? It may just be a bad coil >.<, I don't know anyone that owns a kl series engine so I cant borrow a distributor from a friend.
14.985@92.54 MPH

Savin

Post by Savin »

You'll like this...The coil is in the disty itself. You might want to check the plugs going into the disty, you might have a broken wire in the plug. If it is the disty (which it most likely is) look up the HEI/external coil mod in the V6 FAQ.
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
WaaX

Post by WaaX »

Ugh, I'm so frustrated. I just don't understand how cutting off vacuum pressure, killing the engine.. would cause it to not have a spark afterwards. The car ran perfect today/last night/since I bought it.

There is a little wire, it's tiny, that plugs into the top of the distributor, it comes from the back side of the distributor, what is it for? I've never seen anything like that before. It's barely attached too, but it's making contact.
14.985@92.54 MPH

WaaX

Post by WaaX »

I found the culprit, after spraying the dizzy cap's contacts with contact cleaner, I found out that the cap was actually cracked (pretty badly too). So now I just need to get a new dizzy cap. I got a question though, when I go to Autozone, what kind of car do I say the engine is from? I don't think I can just be like "it's a KLZE engine" because I think they would just look at me like I'm insane.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff84 ... C01288.jpg

Shows what kind of cap I got, the top is an actual KLZE cap, mine is the kind on the bottom.

Thank you guys for your help, I deeply appreciate it.
14.985@92.54 MPH

coltfoet5

Post by coltfoet5 »

If it is your disty, I think I have a HEI mod laying around somewhere in my garage. Ill let you know if I do.
Savin

Post by Savin »

I think you just have a normal K8 disty. IIRC it works on the ZE. From the pic, your car already has the external coil mod done to it? If that's the case, you'll have to modify your new cap with a Power Tower so you can use the external coil. Check the FAQ for the HEI/external coil and it'll show you how to do it.
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
WaaX

Post by WaaX »

Well today I went out and bought a new dizzy cap, turns out that wasn't the problem.

I took the distributor off, and started taking it apart. I got the coil out, is there any way to test the coil? I'm pretty sure autozone can test them, I don't have a voltmeter on hand.

So it's now either the coil or the ignition control module, I can't seem to find where the ICM is located, can anyone point me in the right direction?
14.985@92.54 MPH

msd-supermx3

Post by msd-supermx3 »

ok man,, umm don't take me wrong at alll, but you say your broke and now your buying all that stuff for the disty? lol I am so sure you will fiz it and all but Im thinkin you should get the HEI external coil mod. Its more reliable and efficent, and IN my situation I could not find any parts for a disty, so I had to buy a new one ($600/700) znd the HEi mod is only 80 - 120 bucks.

good luck to you!!!
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

when my disty crapped out I went and bought a rebuilt one...and they took my old one as a core. Thats what Id do if you just want to fix it fast and easy. Keep your receipt for new one if it craps out.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”