Nitrous and Turbo......

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Nitrous and Turbo......

Post by cjthor »

Well I am thinking of putting the bottle back in the car... My question is this. If I was running a 50 shot NA do I have to re jet the nozzle for a boosted application. Does the compressed air play a factor in the HP rating of the nitrous? I am basically using the nitrous to help eliminate lag....not for a horsepower increase. Also I am sure it will have a cooling effect on the engine.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
WhiteFinish

Re: Nitrous and Turbo......

Post by WhiteFinish »

Why don't use it to cool your intercooler??
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
MCNano117

Post by MCNano117 »

1994 Mazda MX3 RS | Rebuilt B6DE | Stock
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

:lol: You shoulda photoshopped a little MX-3 in there somewhere.

My guess is that you'd want to do a smaller shot, for that far down the powerband, so you don't cook your pistons. I can't wait to see you go!
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

ever thought of running water/meth injection?
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
mazdamx3freak

Post by mazdamx3freak »

cjthor wrote:Well I am thinking of putting the bottle back in the car... My question is this. If I was running a 50 shot NA do I have to re jet the nozzle for a boosted application. Does the compressed air play a factor in the HP rating of the nitrous? I am basically using the nitrous to help eliminate lag....not for a horsepower increase. Also I am sure it will have a cooling effect on the engine.
get a v6, theres the anwser to your turbo lag....lol
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

It is getting more common to use nitrous to reduce the lag. It is a great idea and very safe, if done right. Zex makes a nice little wet single port system proven to help out greatly.

"ZEX developed its turbo nitrous system to address the ever expanding "big turbo" street enthusiast market. The system was designed to provide significant performance increases for big turbo street vehicles while providing uncompromised reliability and efficient nitrous-oxide consumption."
Zex Turbo Nitrous System (P/N 82218) is essentially a ZEX EFI WET Nitrous System that incorporates an adjustable boost dependant electronic switch."

http://www.zercustoms.com/news/ZEX-Turb ... ystem.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A great source of info is from Dsport Mag. Back issue 54. They have installed and tested the system with dyno charts, afr and consumption info as well.
mazdamx3freak wrote:get a v6, theres the anwser to your turbo lag....lol
HA!
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:It is getting more common to use nitrous to reduce the lag. It is a great idea and very safe, if done right. Zex makes a nice little wet single port system proven to help out greatly.

"ZEX developed its turbo nitrous system to address the ever expanding "big turbo" street enthusiast market. The system was designed to provide significant performance increases for big turbo street vehicles while providing uncompromised reliability and efficient nitrous-oxide consumption."
Zex Turbo Nitrous System (P/N 82218) is essentially a ZEX EFI WET Nitrous System that incorporates an adjustable boost dependant electronic switch."

http://www.zercustoms.com/news/ZEX-Turb ... ystem.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A great source of info is from Dsport Mag. Back issue 54. They have installed and tested the system with dyno charts, afr and consumption info as well.
mazdamx3freak wrote:get a v6, theres the anwser to your turbo lag....lol
HA!
LOL I found this kit last night and am trying to get Summit to order it without the bottle. I will keep ya all posted!
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Found a good deal on the kit...Summit customer service sucks! Now I will have two bottles in the car. One for the engine and one for intercooler sprayer!!
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

nice.

FYI. S-MAX (I believe that is their name) has a new type of intercooler with the co2/nox tubing, within the intercooler itself. Other than that, I did see a dirt cheap sprayer on ebay the other day.

Bring on the funny gas!
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:nice.

FYI. S-MAX (I believe that is their name) has a new type of intercooler with the co2/nox tubing, within the intercooler itself. Other than that, I did see a dirt cheap sprayer on ebay the other day.

Bring on the funny gas!
I made a sprayer....but gonna have to order one.
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

When using nitrous AND boost you have to have even more fuel added for the given shot. a 50 shot can produce 75+HP when sprayed under boost. This is do to the additional cooling of the intake air. Nitrous is around -126ish degrees Farenheight when it boils in the intake manifold becoming a gas. For every 10 degrees Farenheight you reduce the intake air temp you typically see 1HP gain, as long as you add the fuel to support it. Now, under boost a IC with 100% effeciency will bring the air temp back down to ambiant air temp (outside temp). With out the IC boost temps can be 300+ degrees Farenheight.

You can spray rediculous amounts of nitrous with boost, provided you have enough fuel to support it and enough octane to keep detination away. Ignition timing is also very crutial here and it's adjustments change directly with the octane you are running. Higher octane fuels have a longer more stable burn time as the burn slower as the octane goes up. So when you fuel up with pump gas you need less timing than if your running a high octane fuel...if you don't adjust the timing accordingly you will see poor gains or losses in power. This is where monitoring AFRs AND EGT's are critical to success! Take baby steps towards your goal and all will be ok provided your clearances are set right in your motor for your HP goal and cooling system. You can use a bore scope to keep check on the cylinder walls as you progress to your goal...look for vertiacal lines in the cylinder walls. There may be a few from the ring gaps seating on newer engines but you'll see them start getting deeper and increasing in numbers when you are making to much power for the clearances.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
se7en

Post by se7en »

JWMotorsports wrote:When using nitrous AND boost you have to have even more fuel added for the given shot. a 50 shot can produce 75+HP when sprayed under boost. This is do to the additional cooling of the intake air. Nitrous is around -126ish degrees Farenheight when it boils in the intake manifold becoming a gas. For every 10 degrees Farenheight you reduce the intake air temp you typically see 1HP gain, as long as you add the fuel to support it. Now, under boost a IC with 100% effeciency will bring the air temp back down to ambiant air temp (outside temp). With out the IC boost temps can be 300+ degrees Farenheight.

You can spray rediculous amounts of nitrous with boost, provided you have enough fuel to support it and enough octane to keep detination away. Ignition timing is also very crutial here and it's adjustments change directly with the octane you are running. Higher octane fuels have a longer more stable burn time as the burn slower as the octane goes up. So when you fuel up with pump gas you need less timing than if your running a high octane fuel...if you don't adjust the timing accordingly you will see poor gains or losses in power. This is where monitoring AFRs AND EGT's are critical to success! Take baby steps towards your goal and all will be ok provided your clearances are set right in your motor for your HP goal and cooling system. You can use a bore scope to keep check on the cylinder walls as you progress to your goal...look for vertiacal lines in the cylinder walls. There may be a few from the ring gaps seating on newer engines but you'll see them start getting deeper and increasing in numbers when you are making to much power for the clearances.

I like this guy. He is one smart cat.

cheers to JWMotorsports.
1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:
mazdamx3freak wrote:get a v6, theres the anwser(answer) to your turbo lag....lol
HA!
You and me both HA HA

:throwup:V6 nah j/k
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Heres the answer to turbo lag!...I call this piece.... Organized chaos.
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)

Return to “Forced Induction”