K8 I/M on a KLZE

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Juans_93_MX3

K8 I/M on a KLZE

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

If I was to port match the K8 intake manifold to work on a KLZE. Would that basically be the same as having a KLZE curved neck? (really cheap, friend of mine will do it)

Because besides the ports, are there no other differences besides the manifolds?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Nd4SpdSe

Re: K8 I/M on a KLZE

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Not even close. The runners themselves are narrower. So even if you port-match it, it'll help, maybe, but they won't provide nearly the same airflow compared to a KL IM.

I noticed you posted on Probetalk about the difference between the DE and ZE IM, but I was wondering the same thing, if besides the ports, that the rest of the IM is the same. So that they read so far is that the ZE IM has larger runners, so they would actually pass more air than a DE IM, ported or not. Would explain why there is a good difference when DE'ers put in a ZE IM.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
mazdamx3freak

Post by mazdamx3freak »

millenia curve necks only run about $80 and there your best bet imo
coltfoet5

Post by coltfoet5 »

K8 is wayyy different. Designed completely different... for good gas mileage not performance.
Dragyn Vyrus

Post by Dragyn Vyrus »

that's what i have on my ze, i however have no choice...
its in my work log...
I would say just use the ze throttle body if you can.
93 MX-3 ZE-GS - Sold
95 MX-3 RS - Bone stock winter car.
92 JDM turbo MR2 - SSQV, Cusco strut tower bar, ATS intercooler kit, Berk Exhuast, HKS EVC-S
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

coltfoet5 wrote:for good gas mileage not performance.
Not too sure about that. Your allowing less air into the motor which would restrict power. Less power doesn't necessarilly mean better milleage, it could actually do the opposite cause it has to work harder to pull the same about of weight.

Having the motor run at it's most efficient is the best way to get the best milleage.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
coltfoet5

Post by coltfoet5 »

What I meant, the K8 manifold on the K8 motor is designed for fuel efficiency not performance. It was designed with smaller runners for the 1.8 liter which in turn was made for good gas mileage. I'm not saying it will improve anything on a ZE, it will restrict the air it needs.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

You could get it extrude honed, but that would probably cost more than $80.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

why bother just get a kl - im and save yourself the hassle.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”