Whats a good audio setup?

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
jbud1291

Whats a good audio setup?

Post by jbud1291 »

hey guys i wanted to know what would be a good setup for the mx-3. i have a new head unit but im still looking for subs, speakers, tweeters and all that good stuff lol. if anyone could tell me what there setups are and where i could find them(a website or something)that would be great. thanks guys
93 GS SE - Raspberry metallic. K8 - 2 1/4in exhaust w/Magnaflow street series muffler, Custom intake, Kyb Gr2's w/Apex springs, Full kenwood audio - SOLD
jbud1291

Re: Whats a good audio setup?

Post by jbud1291 »

anything?
93 GS SE - Raspberry metallic. K8 - 2 1/4in exhaust w/Magnaflow street series muffler, Custom intake, Kyb Gr2's w/Apex springs, Full kenwood audio - SOLD
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

It's all about preference. I would suggest going to a couple local car audio shops, and listen to some of their setups. Ask the owners what your looking for, what kind of speakers you need, and maybe you'll get an idea of what you want. Then go to Ebay, and buy them, since they'll be less than half the price the shops would want for them.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
bluechro

Post by bluechro »

It really does come down to personal preference. If your looking for what speaker sizes will fit, I'm sure somebody will find you the answer. Otherwise it's up to you. Ebay is definitely your best choice. You can get last year's models brand new for a fraction of the cost of what any retailer will charge. Even the brand new stuff is still way cheaper.

If you're looking for somebody to help you through the process of making sure everything is compatible, I'd be more than willing to help. If you're asking what sounds 'better' or whats the best quality, you'll get a hundred different answers. It's just preference.
Worklog! - updated Jun/26
jbud1291

Post by jbud1291 »

thanks guys. i wasnt sure if i needed a system specifically made for the mx-3. and i actually just got a brand new 300 watt amp for free so i guess theres a start lol
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Maybe it would be easier to ask what companies suck?
I vote Panasonic and stock FTL :freak:
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
jbud1291

Post by jbud1291 »

haha good idea. i guess ill stay away from those lol
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I would HIGHLY suggest JL Audio's line of amplifiers. Don't skimp on crappy amps.

In the MX-3, you only NEED to have a set of fronts and a sub to get great sound. Most in the community will tell you NOT to place rears in your car as positioning is horrible.

So if you got a 2 channel for some nice front components
and a monoblock for your sub, that'd be, in my opinion, fantastic.

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=57712" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Many individuals will highly recommend Polk's MOMO line of front components. As do I wholeheartedly. They're amazing sounding and indestructable. Very nice, I like, why not?

As far as subs go, I would suggest a 12 inch sub, preferrably something that's NOT Sony.
I kept within the brand so everything matches. I like matching. I have socks and shoes that match. That's unrelated.

So I'm running:
6.5 polk momo components
10" polk momo sub
2 2-channel polk momo amps, one bridged.

and it sounds wonderful. Fills the cabin with sound, pushes air, but doesn't piss off everyone around me.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

This is kinda off topic, but I just thought, as SuperK said
and it sounds wonderful. Fills the cabin with sound, pushes air, but doesn't piss off everyone around me.
Has anyone else noticed that this car, stock, keeps sound from leaving, but lets lots in?
I can crank my stereo, and it loud enough to make my head hurt, and get out, and all I can hear is the front speakers coming through the door panels. No bass on the outside. Crack a window and then its really loud outside....

I was happy about that, because I laugh at those whose cars rattle from the bass. especially when you can hear the rattle before the sound :wink:
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Ryan, you should soundproof your doors. Then you close up the car and you REALLY can't hear it.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
coltfoet5

Post by coltfoet5 »

My experience in sound systems always lead me to pioneer headunits. My best sounding setup had two image dynamic IDMax's with 2 audiobahn A8000T amps. Audiobahn amps are the greatest but are decent for the price. Interior speakers I liked Infinity and Pioneer.

Now for the worst brands I have messed with... Sony speakers... Panasonic headunit and JVC headunits..
Saku

Post by Saku »

here is the current system i am going with but i might swith it to two 15 or two 12's and have one 4 chanel and one 2 chanel amp and have the four go to the doors and the 2 go to the sub... then put in an extra equalizer just for funn
but i think a good sound processor and power manger thing XD

Dynamat 10415
Xtreme Speaker Kit - Two 10" x 10" Xtreme Speaker Kit Sheets
(to keep the good sound quality)

Alpine CDA-9884
CD/MP3/WMA Receiver with iPod Bluetooth USB HD and Satellite Radio Ready

Alpine SPR-13C
5-1/4" 2-Way 270W Car Speakers

Alpine SPR-17C
6-1/2" 2-Way 300W Car Speakers

Alpine SWR-1542D
15" 2000W Dual 4-Ohm Subwoofer
chew*

Post by chew* »

Ryan wrote:This is kinda off topic, but I just thought, as SuperK said
Has anyone else noticed that this car, stock, keeps sound from leaving, but lets lots in?
I can crank my stereo, and it loud enough to make my head hurt, and get out, and all I can hear is the front speakers coming through the door panels. No bass on the outside. Crack a window and then its really loud outside....

I was happy about that, because I laugh at those whose cars rattle from the bass. especially when you can hear the rattle before the sound :wink:
Ryan you can double coat your doors ( the outer panel with dynamat ) and that will get rid of your all your sound unless of course your me and pushing 153+ db....No amount of dynamat works then.

As for the post above forget using multiple subs........Use a single sub based on your preference of sound, etc clean tight bass 10" , tight bass with a little low end boom 12" or just boom 15" Put more energy and space in the box and you can get a single sub to output more than multiples in a choked ( small ) box. Best placement is tight against the back seat fired rear, if ported the port must also fire rear.
got db's? If your windshield ain't breakin you were taken.........
neli_nael

Post by neli_nael »

get brand name stuff from ebay, just be careful who you buy from on ebay.
94 mx3 rs
92 mx3 gs curved neck klze SOLD
Saku

Post by Saku »

Alright thanks chew

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”