FRONT MOUNTED TURBO!?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Gods Father

FRONT MOUNTED TURBO!?

Post by Gods Father »

I was looking at a custom turbo manifold for the klze that was mounted in the front rather than having two manifolds that connect to the connector pipe and then to the turbo. This setup was the turbo manifold came off the front and had the 3 pipes for the head which connected to the the turbo and then a 4th pipe which connects to the other set of stock headers...so I would need an internal wastegate turbo...does this sound like a good set up?

1993 MX-3 w/ straight neck KLZE swap...Probe GT 2.5in headers, Custom exhaust w/ test pipe and OBX Twin Loop Tip, Bully Stage 3 Clutch, Fidanza Flywheel, Pheno Spacers, HEI mod, Blaster SS coil, Probinator chip, TWM short shifter, AWR front and rear mounts (88 Durometer), and Corksport braided clutch line...so far

Ever see the lone rider of the night? Well he'll find you and then you'll never him again...
se7en

Re: FRONT MOUNTED TURBO!?

Post by se7en »

That would probably work somewhat...but why reinvent the wheel???

you can buy turbo pipes(good quality too) from ebay for like 150$ shipped to the US.

just go with the flow, and you will be done faster :)

1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!
Gods Father

Post by Gods Father »

yea thats true...i was just thinking that a custom turbo manifold might be more efficient than a set up thats just made on a production line...
1993 MX-3 w/ straight neck KLZE swap...Probe GT 2.5in headers, Custom exhaust w/ test pipe and OBX Twin Loop Tip, Bully Stage 3 Clutch, Fidanza Flywheel, Pheno Spacers, HEI mod, Blaster SS coil, Probinator chip, TWM short shifter, AWR front and rear mounts (88 Durometer), and Corksport braided clutch line...so far

Ever see the lone rider of the night? Well he'll find you and then you'll never him again...
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

What about belt driven?
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
MgXs3

Post by MgXs3 »

Ryan wrote:What about belt driven?
Belt Driven what? you mean root supercharger?
92 Blaze Red MAZDA Mx3 <GS> ZE, millenia manifold. gutted interior, filled mounts, fidanza fw, act 6puck.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

I'm not sure... I don't really remember posting that.

Maybe I meant turbo, but obviously a belt driven turbo is a supercharger....

Just a brain fart? I'm not sure...
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

You know I was thinking of the exact same thing this past week. I'm curious.

I like that idea cause the turbo sits closer to the exhaust ports, so it should spool up quicker, the lenght of the rear exhaust would probably be about the same length than the regular K-series turbo manifold.

I do think ideally you want them to be the same length for equal exhaust flow so the timing of the pulses of the exhaust of each cylinder are of equal distance apart, probably to encourage scavenging in the exhaust system.

I'm not sure, there's probably a reason why it's done the other way and not your way, but I do see plausibility in the theory of doing it your way.

One thing, is that going to fit between the rad and the front of the motor? There's not much room in there...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “Forced Induction”