OBD-II GS with 4 O2 sensors; headers only have 2

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
nightfire

OBD-II GS with 4 O2 sensors; headers only have 2

Post by nightfire »

I've got 4 O2 sensors, but my new headers (building up my KLZE) only have 2 holes. Other than tapping new holes, do I have any options?

Can I wire two sensor cables together to piggyback off one O2 sensor?
- Gord
1996 MX-3 GS-ZE 2.5L 5spd
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
solo_ryder

Re: OBD-II GS with 4 O2 sensors; headers only have 2

Post by solo_ryder »

Well, there should be 3 sensor bungs on the OBDII headers, 1 on each primary and on that is near the flex pipe, the other one may be in the cat or after the cat converter. Your best option is to weld a new bung on where the old 02 was located as it seems you got OBDI style headers
JoshVK
Supporting Member

Post by JoshVK »

should have 3? why?
stock has 2 sensors per bank
2 sensors are up stream and NEED to be there. the other 2 that are down stream dont bother with.. will throw a code on 96 ecu no mater what.
1996 MX-3 GS - rollin' on Rota Slipstreams, (Red, Deep Tint, Black Lip)
True Straight Neck KLZE with TB relocate. Custom Cold air Intake. 2.25 Exhaust to Bosal muffler.
ACT Stage 2, Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel, Short Shifter with CorkSport Bushings and SS Clutch Line.
Suspension Techniques Springs On Zx2 Struts. SRD Control arm Bushings, Custom Sway Bar Links
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

JoshVK wrote:should have 3? why?
2 sensors are up stream and NEED to be there. the other 2 that are down stream dont bother with.. will throw a code on 96 ecu no mater what.
Hey Josh,

Are the upstream sensors the ones with 3 wires or 4?
- Gord
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
JoshVK
Supporting Member

Post by JoshVK »

nightfire wrote:
Hey Josh,

the 3 wire.

Also 3 wire and 4 wire are almost the same. just ground the white wire in the 4 wire and it would be the same
True Straight Neck KLZE with TB relocate. Custom Cold air Intake. 2.25 Exhaust to Bosal muffler.
ACT Stage 2, Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel, Short Shifter with CorkSport Bushings and SS Clutch Line.
Suspension Techniques Springs On Zx2 Struts. SRD Control arm Bushings, Custom Sway Bar Links
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

JoshVK wrote:
nightfire wrote:
Hey Josh,

the 3 wire.

Also 3 wire and 4 wire are almost the same. just ground the white wire in the 4 wire and it would be the same
That would explain why I'm running in open loop mode. :)

*swaps O2 sensors*

BTW - What did you mean by don't bother with the other 2 sensors? If I tap two new holes downstream (ie. in the downpipe) will the ECU still throw a DTC?
- Gord
JoshVK
Supporting Member

Post by JoshVK »

unless you get spacers it will still throw a code.. they are just there to monitor that the pre cats are working, so if it reads outside of what it thinks is proper (the values you would get with working precats in) its going to throw a code,... so don't bother with em as you'll get a code either way...
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

JoshVK wrote:unless you get spacers it will still throw a code.. they are just there to monitor that the pre cats are working, so if it reads outside of what it thinks is proper (the values you would get with working precats in) its going to throw a code,... so don't bother with em as you'll get a code either way...
I didn't know we had pre-cats..

Interestingly enough, I've been running without them for a few days now (100km) and still no code. Sweet. :)
- Gord
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

So everything is still good with just two O2 sensors and not the lower two, good. If I ever get my headers I'll be able to install my ZE, I'll omit the bottom two sensors as well.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”