Quick questions from an outsider

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Passenger

Quick questions from an outsider

Post by Passenger »

I'll try to make this as simple as possible.
My name is Jesse, I'm 19, from Tennessee. I drive a '95 Mustang GT that runs 25% of the year. Reason I'm posting on this website is a very good friend of mine has a '94 MX3 and he is hellbent on turboing it.

The car is a 4cyl 1.6L DOHC with a manual trans. Just from the quick browsing I have done, I assume this motor is known as the B6-DE. Seems like these motors will hold boost relatively well. He'd be more than pleased to push 6-8#'s daily. Is this feasible? The car has 174,000 miles on it, yet runs great.

I done some quick browsing, as I mentioned, and it seems like he could use a Mazda 323 GTX manifold? Is this true? Is there any other factory turbo manifolds he could use? What about after market manifolds, if there are any?

Regards,
Jesse

P.S. - any tips/tricks/extra info would be greatly appreciated.
mazdanut08

Re: Quick questions from an outsider

Post by mazdanut08 »

You can check out this link and Im sure if you have any questions about his setup he would be willing to help. viewtopic.php?f=46&t=59746" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I believe the 323 manifold is the only one that will fit the 1.6 dohc, other than a custom manifold, but im not 100% sure.
Savin

Post by Savin »

The mercury caprie one will fit too :shrug: Everyone forgets about that one...maybe because its not mazda?
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

NOT bad for a first post not bad at all.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
se7en

Post by se7en »

Yup, take it from him noobs, that is the way to get the senior people to respect you.

pile on the compliments.

cheers

1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!
Savin

Post by Savin »

Too bad he probably won't remain an active member, lol. Maybe his friend will join this forum and be like him AND use the search just as well

Good work with the first post!
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

come one guys lets answers some of his ?'s the B6DE is not really my cup of tea..
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Haha. You guys count me out fast. I'm a forum whore, I'll most likely stick around for awhile atleast.

Thanks for the replies thus far.

Savin, when you say a Capri manifold will fit, do you mean the old 2.3L Turbo Capri's from the late 70s early 80s?
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Passenger wrote:Haha. You guys count me out fast. I'm a forum whore, I'll most likely stick around for awhile atleast.

Thanks for the replies thus far.
Passenger wrote: Savin, when you say a Capri manifold will fit, do you mean the old 2.3L Turbo Capri's from the late 70s early 80s?
NOPE 2.3L vs 1.6L u get what i mean nah nah. not these year capri

well since no replays yet what the hell i searched and came up with this

its the 91-94 (and i also found 1989-1994) Mercury Capri carry the 1.6 DOHC code name B6-T (turbo) note that the 1.6 B6-DE and the B6T have the same exhaust manifold bolt patten yet have different intake manifold bolt patterns (so intake manifolds won't bolt up someone correct me if im wrong.) the b6-de can be found in the 90-93 mazda miata 94-96 mazda MX-3 there are difference i can say that compared the two long ago. Cly head wise i mean.
Passenger wrote:What about after market manifolds, if there are any?
boosting ain't cheap

in my opinion the guy to talk to about the capability, pro and cons of the B6-DE and B6T is JWMOTORSPORT he makes so aftermarkets 1.6 dohc turbo manifolds...

there's more than just boosting a 1.6 dohc B6-DE I can stress how important a engine management system is even a piggy back system (though i look down upon others think differently) in my opinion 4-6psi is somewhat safe to boost any b6-de with the OEM turbo manifold ihi turbo and a simple but cheap FMIC setup with a recirculated BOV system with no ems or piggy back sytem..

Mazda 323 GTX manifold will bolt up problem is finding one in a junkyard
Passenger wrote: (Is there any other factory turbo manifolds he could use?)
other than the Mazda 323 GTX and Mercury Capri that carry the B6T will work.. other factory turbo manifolds will not work

i think someone can talk it from here and improve
Passenger

Post by Passenger »

I appreciate the info man.

I had high hopes with the 2.3T Capri/Merkur/SVO/etc manifolds too considering I've got a E6 manifold from my old '83 Turbocoupe sitting in the basement. Oh well

Anyhow, I had a random thought earlier. 88-92 Mazda 626's were equipped with 2.2L 4 cylinders. Some of which were turbo (GT models). The motor code is F2T I believe. They have the IHI VJ11's. Now I know that Lime said that there is no other factory manifolds that would work, but has this one been tried and proved wrong as well? I'm just trying to rule out every possible manifold possible to be honest.

Another thing, I think I might have read somewhere that a 90-93 Miata manifold would bolt up, but wouldn't work on MX-3's due to the placement of the turbo. How true is that?

I understand what your saying about the EMS and stuff. If I had to guess on what would be used to tune the car, just from purely guessing on what I think he'd buy, I'd say it would use a Innovate LM-1, and TunerPro to take care of things. Either that, or have this guy in town that owns a shop tune it. The guy at the shop is great though, he really knows his s--- about damn near everything, he's just expensive.

Again, thanks for the replies
Jesse
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

the f2t manifold will not work.
Take a look at the exhaust manifold gaskets and you'll get what i mean.

The 90-93 miata manifold will bolt up but since the miata mounts the turbo in a top mount fashion the turbo will hit the hood.

You can use the exhaust manifolds from a turbo 323 (b6t) or a 91-94 capri xr2. Either the vj14 or the vj11 will work, i believe you need to mod the vj11's wastegate arm, dont forget to get the exhaust elbow while your in there. (s--- might as well port the wastegate too)

the 94+ mx3 head uses larger exhaust ports/valves, so with using the stock b6t manifold you should port it.

Dont be afraid to boost these motors. Ive ran 17+ psi on a vj14/vj17 hybrid and JW ran 24-26 on a gt32, mind you we both have the b6t bottom end(smaller rods) with the lower compression pistons but the differences end there.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current

Return to “Forced Induction”