dangers to car because of a short commute?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

dangers to car because of a short commute?

Post by Mooneggs »

I'm posting this in general since this could apply to anybody...

I recently moved to Oregon and now I am 1.9 miles from work (one way). I'm worried that I am damaging my mx-3 by driving it such a short period of time twice a day! I don't think that it even reaches the middle of the temp gauge by the time I get to work/home!

I seem to remember reading somewhere that when you have a short commute condensation builds up in the exhaust system and can cause premature rusting since it doesn't have enough time to leave the exhaust pipe. Maybe I'm making stuff up and it's all in my head... I'm just worried... :?

any advice/opinions would be appreciated!
bdr2k5

Re: dangers to car because of a short commute?

Post by bdr2k5 »

just make sure you red line in 2 gears at least once a week :wink:
93 mx-3 w/ Curved Neck klze
MX3-Life

Post by MX3-Life »

If this is true i would recommend taking a nice scenic root the way home at least 1 day a week. But if you are taking a highway/road way were you can go 80KM/H
then you should be good.
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

Ya drive on the highway once a week for about 15 minutes and it should keep the carbon buildup to a minimum.....
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Just cruise over to ol' Fowljesse's once in a while.
What happened to walking through the park?
All those freaking Nike's, and you don't walk?!
Get a bike, or a moped.
Those short miles are the worst for your car, but your K8 is about ready for retirement, anyway.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

fowljesse wrote: Get a bike, or a moped.

thats what i was thinking. Youll be helping the enviroment and you'll be keeping yourself fit.
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
MX3-Life

Post by MX3-Life »

Just buy a Hummer already and kill the earth i cant take this heat no more!
jrors
Supporting Member

Post by jrors »

Yeah. cruise on the highway or cruise for a few miles elsewhere, and you'll be just fine.
If you fall, then get back up........Luck favors the prepared
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

The real danger of the short drives...or at least one of them, is the fact that the different components of the engine are made of different materials, so they heat up and expand at different rates...and they cool and contract at different rates as well. So piston to cylinder wall clearances and valve to guide clearances aren't quite right until you get it right up to temperature. The problem is exaggerated of course in colder conditions and dangerous if you flog it when it's not warm yet (which of course you would never do).

Worst case scenario is gettin in your car and driving 5 mins to the corner store...the pistons get hot but not the head or the block. You're in the store for 5 - 10 mins and the parts that were not very hot are now cold again and the parts that were getting hot are still warm. You leave the store and go to your moms which is 5 mins away and the stuff that's warm is expanding faster than the stuff that is cold and the piston starts touching the cylinder wall. Seizures are not unheard of. This was a big problem with 2 stroke bikes 10 years ago. Not so much with cars because the tolerances are wider, but I've repaired bikes which have seized from this kind of riding.

Esso suggests driving your car carefully as soon as you can see through your windshield in winter because the engine will come to temperature faster in gentle driving than idling. This recommendation is more with respect to the flow of oil in cold weather, but even in summer you should take it very easy until the car is up to temp. I suggest warming your car up to operating temp if you're not going far summer or winter.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

Dude, 1.9 miles is nothing...walk the bloody distance...takes no more than ten minutes. Might even be less, since there are some routes that make the trip that much shorter...like hopping a few walls...
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
eyezpinned

Post by eyezpinned »

let the car warm up... i mean if your car is just to the middle of the temp gauge when you get to work, you're in constant open-loop
93 rs: tokico struts & eibach springs, 15' rota gt3s, cf hood & gas lid, 2.5' exhaust w high-flow cat, tranny cooler, reupholstered seats, custom black interior, chrome miata handles, momo wheel & ebrake, spyder black projector lights w hid, altezzas, clear corners/sides, eclipse 8454 hu, diamond hex components w/ 3-way add-on & an re se 15' powered by 300/2v2 & 500/1 jl slash amps, corksport mazdaspeed bumper, euro mini sideskirts, fresh paint
MX3-Life

Post by MX3-Life »

Yeah sit with the car in park before you go to work and let it warm up to around normal temp.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Bike to work! or get a ninja 250 r
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Let's build a 90 MPH moped, like they do in Hawai'i. Get 90 mpg, and beat ANYTHING off the line!
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

1.9 miles? buy a bike mark lol nothing wrong with some exercise
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”