Huge Oil Leak (Experts only please!)(Long read)

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Smith18

Huge Oil Leak (Experts only please!)(Long read)

Post by Smith18 »

Hello One day i noticed that my HLA's were ticking really bad while i was driving, so i pulled over and checked my oil and i was down almost a full liter. I filed it back up and on my way i went, next morning i go to my car and its all over the ground, so i put some in and let it run. While it was running it was pouring out of where my front main seal/crank is, so i towed it out to the farm (i don't have a garage in town, there is a huge shop out at the farm). I pulled the whole engine out thinking it was just my front main seal that was shot, there was a rip in the seal so i put a new one in and aswell a new timing belt and all pulleys and tensors.

I put the engine back in the car with everything else, hooked it up and WHAT DO YOU KNOW :evil: its leaking the same way! WTF! im about to start the dam thing on fire already. Having so much problems with it.

What could this be? there wasn't any oil up top from the camshaft seals at all. What other seal is there? Is my Timing belt pulley not sitting right against the seal?.

Its coming from back in where the front main seal is? or around there i cant really tell without pulling it all apart again.

Thanks in advanced.
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.
mx3autozam

Re: Huge Oil Leak (Experts only please!)(Long read)

Post by mx3autozam »

oil pan possibly???
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
JoshVK
Supporting Member

Post by JoshVK »

mx3autozam wrote:oil pan possibly???
Mine leaked... on my 96..
was a slow leak looked like there was just some oil on the pan, but when you wipe it away it came right back... gound down to find a pin hole... i just drained oil and JB welded over it.
1996 MX-3 GS - rollin' on Rota Slipstreams, (Red, Deep Tint, Black Lip)
True Straight Neck KLZE with TB relocate. Custom Cold air Intake. 2.25 Exhaust to Bosal muffler.
ACT Stage 2, Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel, Short Shifter with CorkSport Bushings and SS Clutch Line.
Suspension Techniques Springs On Zx2 Struts. SRD Control arm Bushings, Custom Sway Bar Links
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

I thought I read somewhere that you determined the crank case was becoming pressurized and blowing the seal because the PCV was clogged or something?

There isn't much above the crank shaft and below the cams that should be leaking like that... When you replaced the seal did you check to see if the housing or crankshaft were scratched? I kinda doubt it'd be bad enough to pour out though.
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

No my Oil Pan is fine its coming from up top behind the crank pulley or up top.

ElectricEnergy: Yes i thought thats what happened cause i didn't pull it all apart, and my pcv valve was shot. so i went ahead and replaced the front main seal and the old one had a rip.

And no i didnt really look that hard to see if anything was scored or cracked, but yes its coming out of there really fast, i bet if i let it run for a few minutes it would drain all 4 liters.
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

I know the exact reason why this is happening. But I'm not an expert, so I'll keep it to myself. :P
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

lol? alright.... thanks alot!
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

Tyler did you check your oil sending unit?

Mine was pukin oil in fall too...
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
stereoking15

Post by stereoking15 »

the conclusion(s) that i come up with are if you pulled out the oil pump to change that seal the little o ring in the oil pump (upper right corner) either is missing, mis-aligned, or in poor shape causing possible leak(s), when i did my klze teardown that guy was quite the little bugger. also could be a bad oil pump since our cars are notorious for them going out. other then it leaking from the pan there isn't anything there. also before you installed the seal did you lube it up with oil? because if not you could have ripped the seal again by putting it in dry.
94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

Vanished wrote:Tyler did you check your oil sending unit?

Mine was pukin oil in fall too...
Yes it was leaking, thats what i thought it was at first so i replaced the whole oil cooler unit from my K8, and it seems to stop. So i drove it that night and it happened to me again so i parked it and towed it to the farm.

stereoking15 wrote:the conclusion(s) that i come up with are if you pulled out the oil pump to change that seal the little o ring in the oil pump (upper right corner) either is missing, mis-aligned, or in poor shape causing possible leak(s), when i did my klze teardown that guy was quite the little bugger. also could be a bad oil pump since our cars are notorious for them going out. other then it leaking from the pan there isn't anything there. also before you installed the seal did you lube it up with oil? because if not you could have ripped the seal again by putting it in dry.
No i never took off the oil pump assembly to install the front main seal. And about the oil pump being bad, i cant see it cause even if i start it up right now the HLA's tick for not even 2 seconds and then they are quite again. but not fully because its leaking oil like crazy so its not getting the oil pressure or flow it should be so they are still alittle louder then normal.

No i never lubed up the seal before i put it in there, so yeah maybe i did blow out the seal. cause when i first started it up after i put everything back together. It ran for a good 2-3 mins before it started to leak alittle then i took and revved it abit and it start to run like before.

Thanks alot for your guy's comments ill take all your advice once i go out there again and rip it apart.
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

Hey everyone, the last few days i pulled it all apart again and found out my front camshaft oil seal was shot! (like i took off the sprocket and it fell out onto the ground). So i replaced that and she seems to be doing alright!, after setting the timing 3 times to find out one of my camshaft sprockets were on backwards haha.

Thanks everyone for your comments hopefully this helps people out when they have the same symptoms.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”