Clutch grinding noise in neutral

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
AlexMX3

Clutch grinding noise in neutral

Post by AlexMX3 »

Now my clutch seems to be working just fine. It still pulls strong. While in neutral
for some reason it makes a grinding noise and when i slightly step on the clutch it goes away ( like 1/4 of the way down)
The grinding noise comes and goes.
Does anybody have any idea what this means?
btw it's a 1993 v6.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: Clutch grinding noise in neutral

Post by fowljesse »

I had an RX7 that did that and it was the throwout bearing. I never did anything about it, and it never changed. I had the car for about 2 years. I would recommend changing it, though.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
kab-rst

Post by kab-rst »

i had those problems,

i did like if it neer happeneds, the clutch was still pulling fine after all
one day the bearring broke off, cost me a 200$ tow, and i had to open up my transmition just for a 30$ bearring

turn out it happened to me again ,not to take any chance, i changed my clutch kit andreplaced everything by some new stuff

it allways broke when it'S not the time
first time it was years of wear
the second time it broke a pin on it

here what it looked like on the second time
96 rs-t mx-3, 12.62@114
u have the Zoom Zoom feeling?
Raven95150

Post by Raven95150 »

Definitely the throw out bearing. Chances are you can still drive it for a while but as the last post said, it could leave you stranded one day. Not to mention, it could cause damage to other parts when it goes. Since you have to take the tranny out, I would just get a whole new clutch kit and replace the whole works while you are in there.
No more MX-3
2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT
95 F-150...6" lift, 35" tires

Return to “Transmissions”