Will a KLZE go in a 96 GS (And a bunch of Qs about KL swaps)

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
JoshVK
Supporting Member

Will a KLZE go in a 96 GS (And a bunch of Qs about KL swaps)

Post by JoshVK »

Ok, So I've been reading, Yet still cant find an Answer..
will i have wiring issues due to 96 meaning its OBD II?
or should it still go?
Im planing on keeping my computer and getting the proinator chip or thinking i might try a SAFC....
(i don't care about the check engine light)

Also just as a recap from what ive read... Never done a Mazda Swap before only in Hondas..

I Will Need:
My K8 Dizzy and wires (likely new wires)
My K8 Clutch, flywheel and PP (likely new stage 2 clutch)
My K8 transmission
My K8 alternator
to extend a few wires but connections should be similar? (do they change much by year?)
a Probe or MX6 exhaust manifold (this wont bolt up to mine) or use mine till i have get a new exhaust and do whole thing
to re route intake? (cant use stock box?)

-if im missing anything Please Comment

Also do K8 intake manifolds fit on KLs? i assume they are much more restrictive if they do?

also if im taking out my AC do i buy a belt for cars with out AC and it will fit?

Can i Keep AC?

Thank you so much,

Josh
1996 MX-3 GS - rollin' on Rota Slipstreams, (Red, Deep Tint, Black Lip)
True Straight Neck KLZE with TB relocate. Custom Cold air Intake. 2.25 Exhaust to Bosal muffler.
ACT Stage 2, Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel, Short Shifter with CorkSport Bushings and SS Clutch Line.
Suspension Techniques Springs On Zx2 Struts. SRD Control arm Bushings, Custom Sway Bar Links
solo_ryder

Re: Will a KLZE go in a 96 GS (And a bunch of Qs about KL swaps)

Post by solo_ryder »

Ok, So I've been reading, Yet still cant find an Answer..
will i have wiring issues due to 96 meaning its OBD II?
or should it still go?
It wont work to well IMO and not worth the technical effort, it would be better to get a OBDI wiring harness from a 92-93 mx3 as the sensors are different on a OBDII mx3, you can find this crap at the wreckers or someone that is parting out.
Im planing on keeping my computer and getting the proinator chip or thinking i might try a SAFC....
(i don't care about the check engine light)
SAFC wont work to well on KL motors because of the stock ECU's tendency to disregard any tuning on the car. Once the ecu sense WOT (when you gun it) your A/F map will be gone, it runs pig rich at that point. IMO it is best to get a probinator chip (you will need a OBDI ecu for this) or a klze ecu (kl31 or kl36), the ZE ecu wont throw codes and can be found on forums and eBay. The probinator is your best bet because 1. it is cheap 2. your VRIS will be aligned and it is set for optimal performance.
Also just as a recap from what ive read... Never done a Mazda Swap before only in Hondas..

I Will Need:
My K8 Dizzy and wires (likely new wires)
My K8 Clutch, flywheel and PP (likely new stage 2 clutch)
My K8 transmission
My K8 alternator
to extend a few wires but connections should be similar? (do they change much by year?)
a Probe or MX6 exhaust manifold (this wont bolt up to mine) or use mine till i have get a new exhaust and do whole thing
to re route intake? (cant use stock box?)

-if im missing anything Please Comment
Your list looks ok, but of course you are gonna run into a few other things you will need. Consider some poly urathane mounts (either fill yours or get AWR mounts - Probe front mount and mx3 rear).

If you are going OBDI you will need a OBDI disty, alternator (not 100% sure on this)

The tranny will work fine, get a probe or mx6 clutch as they are 10mm larger and are usually cheaper, go at least a stage 2 if your planning on driving hard. ACT makes a good clutch and so does centerforce ( I have had a stage 2 and a dual friction, no issues). You will need to get your mx3 flywheel resurfaced to. Dont forget to get new bearings as well (pilot and release).

As for exhaust, the k8 stock exhaust flows better then the ZE ones apparently, but I have never run em, I would look on eBay and get some headers. If you are planning on running your stock cat and all that you will need to get a shop to mod your old exhaust as the probe/mx6 headers that you get are about 6-8" longer on the downpipe then the stock mx downpipe.

Wiring - if you get a OBDI harness you will be ok, you may run across two female connectors (like with the P/S pump) but that is only one wire so just use a butt connector. You will need to tap the coolant neck so that you can run a coolant temp sensor. You can run without it, but your cooling fan will be on at all times as the ECU cannot get a signal. This is not as difficult as it sounds.

You also have to consider maintenance, new valve cover gaskets, timing belt/water pump, thermostat etc. This doesnt have to be done (I have never done them on swaps) but some other ppl will inevitably mention it because thats the way ppl are on this forum, its up to you in the end, KL's are a non interference motor so if you blow your timing belt to hell your motor is OK. Its just much easier to replace when the motor is out.
Also do K8 intake manifolds fit on KLs? i assume they are much more restrictive if they do?
If you are talking about exhaust ones then yes, that is covered above. If you are referring to intake manifolds, yes they fit as well but you will lose power and idle will never be correct. If you get a curve neck motor you will not have this issue.
also if im taking out my AC do i buy a belt for cars with out AC and it will fit?
Yes
Can i Keep AC?
Yes

Keep in mind that the K series motors are practically identical. The bore is just different, the externals are pretty much all similar, that is why you can interchange parts from other cars as you are already learning in my response. Just do some searching on the forum here and you will see a few logs of users that have done the swap in a OBDII car. Don't be confused though, this is not the easiest swap there is to do, but is not that hard either :) You just need to research your butt off and take your time. Also, it pays to prevent a problem from happening, so if you think something is jimmy rigged or ghetto, odds are you will have a issue with it down the road and since your motor will be out of the car, better to take care of those issues while it is out :) I am getting tired of typing, let us know if you need anything else.
JoshVK
Supporting Member

Post by JoshVK »

Thanks SO Much for the response, Ive read over almost all your work, progects ect. (love your car)

Im rather turned off now with the idea of having to change wire harness and all...
i really want to keep cruise ect.

there are no 96+ KLZE's?

I'm now thinking maybe ill just buy another MX3 to start with or a preswaped one... however my Body is Perfect. (but i have plans to paint anyways)

swamping my 96 interior might be easier....

anyways, New Q's
Will i be able to have cruise with a older ecu? (isint this part of the harness?)
anyone know anyone whos done a KL swap into a 96, (yet to find any)
1996 MX-3 GS - rollin' on Rota Slipstreams, (Red, Deep Tint, Black Lip)
True Straight Neck KLZE with TB relocate. Custom Cold air Intake. 2.25 Exhaust to Bosal muffler.
ACT Stage 2, Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel, Short Shifter with CorkSport Bushings and SS Clutch Line.
Suspension Techniques Springs On Zx2 Struts. SRD Control arm Bushings, Custom Sway Bar Links
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

ho bag did one a last summer.

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/memberlist.p ... le&u=10761

hobag_9@passport.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

JoshVK wrote:Thanks SO Much for the response, Ive read over almost all your work, progects ect. (love your car)
I'm now thinking maybe ill just buy another MX3 to start with or a preswaped one... however my Body is Perfect. (but i have plans to paint anyways)

swamping my 96 interior might be easier....
Take this advice... It happened to me. I swapped a KLZE into a older mx3 that wasnt in as nice shape as my car is now and it was stupid, I didnt enjoy it nearly as much as having my good shape mx3. You can do the swap, dont give up there are lots of ppl to help and it is possible, it will take abit more effort. In the long run it will be worth it to have a nice shape mx3 with a KL, trust me.

Swapping dashes is friggen crazy I didnt even want to start with that on my 94 swap. I just left my 92 dash and got euro vents.
anyways, New Q's
Will i be able to have cruise with a older ecu? (isint this part of the harness?)
anyone know anyone whos done a KL swap into a 96, (yet to find any)
Yes, the cruise control is not actually electronically controled (at least on the OBDI not sure about OBDII) they use a vacuum system so it is very easy to set that up. Here is a pic of the cruise control unit, check to see if you have this:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”