K8 headers..

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
zzzoomx3

K8 headers..

Post by zzzoomx3 »

im trying to find some after market headers for my K8 to use on my KLZE - anyone know where to get any?

how much modification would be needed to make the 2.5 headers fit to the K8 header pipe? i know its gonna take some modification - just want to know exactly what i'm gonna have to do.
Vanished

Re: K8 headers..

Post by Vanished »

No they should fit ok i think from what i've heard, but my K8 headers did NOT fit on the klze...so..maybe they were to small, but same bolt pattern.?
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

whoa! really? i heard you had to use the K8 headers on the KLZE swap - because the ZE headers wouldnt match up to the header pipe and needed to be modded to fit. ugh - well - just in case - i'm going to get some ZE headers from the yard and we'll see what happens... thanks for the reply.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

^^^^
yes you need to use the k8 manifolds on the ZE. The ZE does not have EGR and the position of the flange on the rear manifold is slightly different. If you get headers off ebay they fit fine, But catalytic converter needs to be moved back 8inches.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

cool - thanks - the cat doesnt have to be moved back if i use the K8 headers does it?
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

zzzoomx3 wrote:cool - thanks - the cat doesnt have to be moved back if i use the K8 headers does it?
you mean the k8 manifolds?? no cat can stay were it is. But i know once you get the klze in the car you will want headers and exhaust down the road. Those ZE's really open up when you let them breathe.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

headers and manifolds are the same thing - ;) (An exhaust manifold or header collects the exhaust gases from multiple cylinders into one pipe. though headers are typically individual pipes while the manifold is a simple cast iron units which collect engine exhaust and deliver it to the exhaust pipe)

but you're right in that i want to open the ZE up - which takes me back to getting a ZE exhaust from the yard and just modding it to fit - i really dont want to have to take the engine out again later to put them on.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

yes but in choice of terms most people call the oem exhaust mani manifolds, and teh aftermarket upgrade Headers
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

In point of fact the word "manifold" has a very specific meaning and doesn't strictly apply to pipes and a collector...but I won't belabour the point.

There are a few options for "headers" which are more or less universal to the K series of engines. Do a search for "heaaders" and you'll find several threads asking this question. There is debate as to the quality of most of these options and some are getting hard to find (SS AutoChrome were apparently pretty good but have gone out of business). From the "header" back, guys usually do something custom with 2.25" or 2.5" and a Cat and muffler...as you are already planning I'm sure.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

Weird.

I have SSautochromes on my KLZE (awesome by the way) But for some reason the K8 manifold didn't have a good fit on the KLZE! I dunno why..but. Ignore me i guesse!

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

Vanished wrote:Weird.

I have SSautochromes on my KLZE (awesome by the way) But for some reason the K8 manifold didn't have a good fit on the KLZE! I dunno why..but. Ignore me i guesse!
lol - its ok, yeah i found some of those headers online - friggin 300 bucks! so, i'm just going to the yard and pick up some KLZE headers/manifolds - whatever you wanna call them and that way - i'll have both sets to work with. i'm sure i can make something work. who knows - i may get lucky and find an aftermarket set..lol wishful thinking

getting off the header issue - i dont think i ever got an answer on the ECU and whether or not i need to use the K8 ECU or what....
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

zzzoomx3 wrote:
Vanished wrote:Weird.

lol - its ok, yeah i found some of those headers online - friggin 300 bucks! so, i'm just going to the yard and pick up some KLZE headers/manifolds - whatever you wanna call them and that way - i'll have both sets to work with. i'm sure i can make something work. who knows - i may get lucky and find an aftermarket set..lol wishful thinking

getting off the header issue - i dont think i ever got an answer on the ECU and whether or not i need to use the K8 ECU or what....
unfortunately - they dont sell SSautochromes anymore - but pacesetter still makes some and at a decent price too -
http://www.advancedjdmparts.com/product ... 474&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
this site has headers listed for the MX3 1.8 V6 - but without a picture, i'm a little skeptical...
http://allexhaust.com/product.php?productid=11513" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

thanks to a member of my local mazda group - he turned me on to these headers and i promptly bought them. he had good things to say about them for his ZE swap versus the pacesetters i wanted to buy. we'll see...

headers
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

WOAH

I just read what you posted in your first post, I totally misread it. I thought you were looking for headers to put on your k8 that you wanted to put on a 'future' KLZE, but what you want is headers for your KLZE that is currently in your car.

Yeah, anything for a probe or mx-6 2.5 litre engine will work.

my buddy was trying for find SSautchromes and he ended up buying pacesetter (Smith18). I think he had fitment problems and they weren't chromed, they were black (which sucks for rust problems). I got mine on ebay for 180 shipped, lucked out i guess.

As for the ECU, you can order a Jap ecu (KL31) of ebay, or save yousself a few hundred and get a probinator chip for like..45 bucks. And it works better.

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

JM1EC-V6

Post by JM1EC-V6 »

I'm running OBX-R ''Hotshot replica'' KL 2.5L headers on a K8 right now. Much more low and mid range torque, and you have to get a 2.25'' line, modified.
'94 Mx-3 GS-R SE, KL-ZE Interprep. (From '96 PGT KL)
1110Kg
-Interprep KL31 Spec.
ported heads, Polished combustion chamber,3 angle vlv job,10.3:1 C.R.,0.020'' O.S.,KL31 cam,-0.007'' heads,Long neck IM,KL31 TB, Hotshot headers,2.25'' exhaust,Magnaflow cat
ImageImageImage

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”