Question about Windshield trim. Is it stock...?

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
manowar821
Supporting Member

Question about Windshield trim. Is it stock...?

Post by manowar821 »

I recently had my insurance company pay for a brand new windshield, mine had a nice crack that suddenly grew all the way across. Probably from running the heat on full blast while it's -5 degrees out... Hehe. 8)

Well, it went great, and it's a nice piece of glass, but they installed a chrome trim all the way around it (well, except for the bottom). I don't like it, and I didn't think I'd have to ask to NOT have a seemingly custom piece of cosmetic chrome added to my car... I dislike chrome, a lot.

On that note... Is it stock/OEM? I looked at the paper work, and they included it as a "stock/OEM trim" option, but I've never had a trim on my MX-3 before this. Also, I've never seen a trim like this on an MX-3. In-fact, I don't think I've seen ANY chrome on a stock MX-3, before. Does anyone else here have a thin chrome trim around their windshield, and if so, did it come with the vehicle, or is it an option?

Thank-you! :)
jason5151

Re: Question about Windshield trim. Is it stock...?

Post by jason5151 »

ask your insurance company to redo it as it was!
I wouldn't settle for a uncalled for color change myself!
1996 mx-3 black 1.8 v6
Volones

Post by Volones »

I've had my windshield replaced also, and did not get any chrome as part of the replacement.

I do remember that the OEM "windshield gasket" cost roughly $200 - $250 and an aftermarket gasket only cost $160 (both total prices with the glass included). It could be that your insurance company gave you an aftermarket gasket and it happened to be chrome plated.

As previously mentioned, I would contact your insurance company and request that the gasket be replaced with one that isn't chrome plated and/or contact the company that installed your windshield and see what they can do for you.

Good luck,
Vol
Current Hypermiler, future EcoModder.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I would make sure you get the OEM one from mazda also. I had my windshield replaced (out of pocket) and I needed a new gasket so I opted for the aftermarket one and it looks like crap (it is black but it just looks weird). I regret it every time I see it :x

Return to “Appearance”