Automatic Door locks

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Dalur

Automatic Door locks

Post by Dalur »

Is there any way to disable the auto locking doors when the car is running? For some reason this morning when I was warming up the car. None of my spare keys worked for some reason, will be checking into the mechanism later today. If I can diable this function then I can lock the car when I need to and not when its say inside my garage. I do have a after market security system in place but its old and I'm not sure what type it is.
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

The auto-locking doors are a feature of your alarm or remote starter system, not your MX-3. You'll have to get into the programming mode to disable this feature.

First step would be to start searching under your dash for the control module, find out what brand and model it is, then look up some programming instructions for it. Programming is different for every different alarm.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Dalur

Post by Dalur »

That's what I thought too, but when I turn the alarm off with the toggle switch it still does the same thing. I don't know much about alarm systems but I thought turning the system off would take care of this, the toggle switch doesn't disable the whole system??
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

The toggle switch will put the car in valet mode. Meaning the alarm won't activate, or the remote starter (if equipped) won't operate. The doorlock funtions and internal programming functions will still operate. If you have a remote for the alarm, try the door locks while it's in valet mode, you will see that the doors still lock and unlock.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Dalur

Post by Dalur »

I thought the key would still overide the system. It is a Clifford system and an older by the looks of the remote. Is it worth taking the door apart to see if the mechanism is screwed? the likely hood of both doors screwing up at the same must be pretty slime though, i would think.
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

The car doesn't even come with a driver-side door lock motor. That would have been installed with the alarm. The car has follow-me locks. When you MANUALLY lock or unlock the driver door, the motor in the passenger door does the same. There is no way for the car to automatically lock the driver door straight from the factory.

I have tried to explain this to you, and you are persisting. Therefore, I'm finished. If you want, completely disconncect the power to your alarm module, and see if it still happens.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Dalur

Post by Dalur »

Thanks for the information. I won't bother you again.
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Sorry...didn't mean to snap. I'm studying for finals, and very irritable. Let me know how it turns out.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Dalur

Post by Dalur »

No worries, Good luck on the Finals.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”