loose ebrake

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
fsas_afi

loose ebrake

Post by fsas_afi »

hi, I need to pull my ebrake all the way backfor any effect at all, how do i tighten that sucker up?
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

It's supposed to be self-adjusting, however, that doesn't always seem to help. Your rear brake shoes or pads (depending on model) could need to be replaced. There's also a yoke a couple feet back from the shift linkage under the car. This is where the cable coming from the e-brake splits into 2 cables. I believe you can somehow tighten it there.

Check the online shop manual.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

umcamara is right. right under the little capartment that you lean your elbow on there is a nut that attaces the ebrake to the ebrake lever. i think its a 12mm not sure. but all you really have to do is tighten that sucker up and it should work. keep in mind that once your do a brake job you really should adjust the cable.

If this doesnt work your casble might be stretched and ull need yo get new ones.
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
maine_mazda_bp

brakes

Post by maine_mazda_bp »

yea my ebrake is the same dam way but its a combo with me need new brakes in back and its streched
94mazda-MX-3 5 speed with bp swap have gt25 turbo with some turbo parts but its not on yet waiting on more stuff building a mega squirt2 for it but body is stock
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

my ebrake is a little loose but I had to loosen it cause I think one side is stretched and it grabs sooner than the other side... :\
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Depending on disk or drum brakes, the "autoadjustment" is accomplished one of two ways.

On an RS the e-brake cable acts on item #11 in the picture above. As the drums and pads wear, the actuator (the circled part) expands one click at a time, so that when the brakes are released, the shoes only retract a short distance from the drum. Thus each time the brakes are applied, the shoes will only have to travel a very short distance to contact the drum.

On a GS the ebrake cable machanically actuates the piston from behind. As the piston (item #6) moves out it passes through the piston seal (item #7) a square o-ring. There is a spring which retracts the ebrake lever, but the only thing retracting the piston is the deflection of that square o-ring. It can be tough to visualize, but imagine when you apply the brake, either with the foot pedal or the e-brake lever, that piston slides past the seal, deforming it slightly. When you release the brake and hydraulic pressure is no longer applied to the piston, the seal wants to return to it's natural shape and drags the piston back maybe a half a mm. As the pads and rotors wear, the piston moves farther through the seal, adjusting its distance from the rotor. There must also be something in the piston assembly which tkaes up the slack to the e-brake lever, but I've never taken one apart, so I'm not sure exactly how is works.

The problem is that although the theory is good, these self adjusting brakes don't truly work for very long. If your e-brake is traveling too far, most likely your brakes are badly worn and the "adjusters" have stopped taking up the slack.

Time for a thorough brake inspection.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”