thermostat sensor...coolant sensor...WHATEVER MAN!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Gods Father

thermostat sensor...coolant sensor...WHATEVER MAN!

Post by Gods Father »

ok my check engine lights on so i did the paperclip test GND to TEN and it blinked 9 times...coolant sensor! so i bought one at advanced auto...but finding it is IMPOSSIBLE...PLEASE HELP i have a K8 (i got it from a kid that thought it was a KLZE cause the guy he got it from said he did the swap...could he have used the KLZE intake manifold/throttle body that doesnt have a spot for the thermosensor therefore its reading nothing?? or what??...) thanks

PS what could be the side effects of no thermosensor??? any running issues other than overheating?? thanks again
1993 MX-3 w/ straight neck KLZE swap...Probe GT 2.5in headers, Custom exhaust w/ test pipe and OBX Twin Loop Tip, Bully Stage 3 Clutch, Fidanza Flywheel, Pheno Spacers, HEI mod, Blaster SS coil, Probinator chip, TWM short shifter, AWR front and rear mounts (88 Durometer), and Corksport braided clutch line...so far

Ever see the lone rider of the night? Well he'll find you and then you'll never him again...
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I am sorry, but I don't really understand your ramble. I think you are saying- You have a K8, but thought it was a ZE b/c the previous owner said it was a ZE. You bought a temp sensor to replace yours b/c there was a code which seemed to be a bad sensor. Now that you have the sensor you cannot find where the bad one is to replace it....
Is that right?
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Gods Father

Post by Gods Father »

yea thats right (the kid before me thought it was a KLZE i knew it was a k8...but that doesnt matter :D ) but yea i dont know where the thermosensor is on the engine...thanks
1993 MX-3 w/ straight neck KLZE swap...Probe GT 2.5in headers, Custom exhaust w/ test pipe and OBX Twin Loop Tip, Bully Stage 3 Clutch, Fidanza Flywheel, Pheno Spacers, HEI mod, Blaster SS coil, Probinator chip, TWM short shifter, AWR front and rear mounts (88 Durometer), and Corksport braided clutch line...so far

Ever see the lone rider of the night? Well he'll find you and then you'll never him again...
TREVO123

Post by TREVO123 »

There is a couple located by the passenger side Thermostat hosing up top. i think theres 2 There. And there is another i belive.
TREVO-Under major construction, Bp coming soon! TO a mx3 near you
1993 MX-3 RS,FULL BLITZ KIT(PROTOTYPE)17"10 SPOKE RIMS,SOHC 1.6L.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2189811
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Trevo owns a four banger so ignore what he said. The thermostat is located on the drivers side in the metal portion of the lower radiator hose on all K series V6s. There are three coolant sensors on the passanger side of the K8. They are all three located right next to the upper filler cap. You will notice that all three are different. Two use the same plug type, but are different colors. I do not know if they are actually the same sensor range, so you need to check that out before buying one. The third is a simple temp sensor that uses a one wire connection. I cannot remember if the ECU has more than one temp sensor code, so you need to double check that too to see if it will tell you which of the three it is having a problem with. One of the sensors is for the ECU to know what water temp is, the second tells the guage in the dash what to read and the third tells the radiator fan to turn on or off. If you can find a list of which sensor controlls what then you can quickly diagnose which part of the car is not getting the temp and replace the correct sensor the first time. Alternately, IIRC, you can unplug one at a time and see if the radiator fan turns on (it should run all the time if not getting a signal from the temp sensor), or the temp guage in the dash will quit working, or both the previous will still work meaning the third is for the ECU.
Hope that helps. Not a 100% answer, but should be enough to get your car fixed. Remember that you have to erase the codes from the ECU when you fix the car. The ECU will store codes forever unless you manually delete them. To delete codes, remove the positive battery cable, depress the brake for 10 seconds, reconnect the positive battery cable.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Why do people that have 4 cyl engines think the v6s have the same sensors in same positions? ive seen a few of these around lol. good reply pat :D
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
TREVO123

Post by TREVO123 »

I dont. I recently helped my buddy swap his V6 and i noticed the sensore there. I just thought the filler cap was right by the thermostat hosin.
TREVO-Under major construction, Bp coming soon! TO a mx3 near you
1993 MX-3 RS,FULL BLITZ KIT(PROTOTYPE)17"10 SPOKE RIMS,SOHC 1.6L.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2189811
Gods Father

Post by Gods Father »

ok i found it and i replaced one of them and then switched it with the other one and neither time did it work...i think its the wiring and not actually the sensor...you were saying ones for the guage ones for the ecu and ones for the fan...if the one for the ecu is messed up wouldnt it in turn make the fan go on too??? so if the fans always on it doesnt identify which one it is right??? but anyways i dont know what else to do...the guy before me F'd with all the wiring and i dont know how to findthe exact problem....but thanks for all your help guys

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”