My custom LED taillights

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Urbanconcept

My custom LED taillights

Post by Urbanconcept »

So this has been a project that I started a really long time ago. I finally decided to have my car painted, so I finished the tails too. Here are some initial pics I took of the tails, and the last one is of the finished product mounted on the car. I changed the initial design as well. I no longer have a reverse light in the housing, and those nipple looking things are now LED lights instead. I will take some night pics later tonight for all to see.

Friendship is like pissing your pants: Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its true warmth.
Urbanconcept

Post by Urbanconcept »

Here is another shot of the rear while we were driving up to the MOTM in Cayuga.

Friendship is like pissing your pants: Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its true warmth.
steckino

Post by steckino »

That is really awesome, So how did you make the casing on them? because those are just totally different and sick. Good Job!
1992 Mazda MX3 I4
1995 Mazda MX3 B6D (parts car)
Urbanconcept

Post by Urbanconcept »

I used a stock taillight (to preserve the stock mounting points), cut out most of it, then stretched material over the housing. I then cut out the shapes i wanted out of lexan and then screwed them over top of the stretched fabric to what was left of the stock housing. I then used fiberglass resin to solidify the shape. I then reinforced the back of the housing with more fiberglass matte and resin. Then the exterior of the housing was sanded and covered in bondo. I spend tons of time sanding, adding bondo, then sanding again. That process was repeated over and over. It almost drove me insane. My buddy who painted my car did the final sanding and paint. All in all it was some serious work. I had never used fiberglass before, so this project was quite the task lol. I'm really satisfied with the result. I have another idea for custom tails, but after spending so much time on these I really don't have the patience now lol.

Thanks for the positive feed back!
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

wow those turned out totally different than I imagined... do you have any light up shots? which light is the blinker? I want to see more pics! :shock: :D

nice job overall! :2thumbsup:
Urbanconcept

Post by Urbanconcept »

Outer red light is the turn signal. The clear oval one is the brake/running light and the inner round LED is another running light. I will take night pics tonight as the battery in my camera died.
Infinity

Post by Infinity »

you should take pics from the side and front too just so i can see your car cuz it looks sweet
Urbanconcept

Night pics

Post by Urbanconcept »

Finally got to take some night pics. So, as promised here they are. These pics really don't show the nice dark red colour these lights actually output.

steckino

Post by steckino »

Wow... better then I expected. Good work!
1992 Mazda MX3 I4
1995 Mazda MX3 B6D (parts car)
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Heh.. you should replace your 3rd brake light with a LED strip.. and have it pulsate back and forth like Kit (Knight Rider) or a Cylons eye until the brake pedal is pushed and then have it come on solid. LOL

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Urbanconcept

Post by Urbanconcept »

Tunes67 wrote:Heh.. you should replace your 3rd brake light with a LED strip.. and have it pulsate back and forth like Kit (Knight Rider) or a Cylons eye until the brake pedal is pushed and then have it come on solid. LOL
I had thought about replacing it, but it's just too much work to be honest. My next big thing will be to tackle the headlights and mount projectors into a stock housing. Though I do have to say that the light output with re-cleared headlights is wayyyyyyyyyyy better. It's sufficient for now, and part of me just doesn't want to take everything apart again.
Tropical Emerald 1993

Post by Tropical Emerald 1993 »

I actually like more the yellow painted mx3 than any of the mods.
PatMX3

Post by PatMX3 »

Coolness!! Your project's time payed off ma man* Looks new n fresh..
Don't forget n follow up on your headlight projectors too!. All us MX'rs are always salivating for new mods on em' :)
"93 Mazda MX-3 GS. Special Edition* 1.8L
Color -Rasberry Metallic. P-START Ignition*.
EuroLITE Dash Gauge* 77,000/m
#2nd Mx-3 Owner.
Mazda. Get in. Be M o v e d .
Urbanconcept

Post by Urbanconcept »

PatMX3 wrote:Coolness!! Your project's time payed off ma man* Looks new n fresh..
Don't forget n follow up on your headlight projectors too!. All us MX'rs are always salivating for new mods on em' :)
I'm picking up a set of Nissan headlights tonight. Sadly though, I don't know when I will get around to retro fitting another set of headlights.
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

That is a very nice set of tail lights. Much time and effort put into it, anyone can see that! I hear ya on the fiberglass as I recently started a project using fiberglass for the first time and I apparently didnt use the right mask! lol, I saw pink elephants and one of them must have stepped on my head cuz I had a killer headache later that day.
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”